Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Not sure where you looked. 1.03 is still available on the Pentax Canada web site. Dave

07-08-2009, 06:03 PM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Dave....now catch up with the class, we covered this while you were out of the room...v1.03 was gone from the Pentax US site for over a day (I think it was over the weekend and it did not re-appear until sometime late last night.) REALLY and this time it was NOT the pain meds or lack of sleep.

Now as to the Canookian Pentax site...eh, who cares. hehehehehe....sorry I can never pass up a shot at you lucky folks up north. If I could handle the weather I honestly would have moved there years ago...I love Vancouver, BC...
07-08-2009, 06:55 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So...does the USA site actually have 1.03 available? When I go there, click the "Firmware" box, and hit "Submit" absolutely nothing happens.

Is there another way into the firmware download on the US site?
07-08-2009, 07:21 PM   #49
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
With the benefit of having a K20D that has never had a firmware upgrade added to it and one that has ver. 1.0.3, I tested the focus assist with the on camera flash on both. In the AF-S both cameras fired the AF assist. In AF-C neither camera fired the AF assist.

After rereading post #36 and 38 there is nothing really contradictory written. philbaum simply stated that he did not have to go to AFC without stating if he had infact tried the AF assist with the camera switched to AF-C .

As far as the noise that Damn Brit was getting, I also had a very conspicuous noise until I turned off the shake reduction. Then the camera was quiet as a mouse. Hope this is a useful addition.

David
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
cool, guys...I just re-read phil's comment and, yup, I originally read it bassawkards...D'oh!! So then mine is working as it should be. I sort of figured if there was a bug in the firmware it would have been found by now, but with the confusion over the manual and not being completely familar with the system...I was not sure.

Thanks for clearing it up for me...now about Gary's prob...hope he reads this about the AF noise sort of resetting itself. But I wonder what is up with the flash sync. I did not read it too closely last night but has anyone run into the issues he is having after the flash?
QuoteOriginally posted by dnaseigel Quote
It sounds like Gary may have an issue with his particular camera which is a true bummer. I offer the motion that Pentax give him a K-7 as a replacement as he is going to be needing to do some heavy duty shooting here soon amongst a group of young, soon to be photgraphers. Wouldn't that be great thing to take into that sort of envrionment. If anyone wishes to second that motion even if it's just for moderating this forum, then we should send our collective opinion to Pentax.

...sort of got of topic here...sorry.

DS
works for me...he's been super cool with me...a swap seems more than fair!! The folks who man the boards really do a nice thing for the rest of us as they deal with all the HS on a daily basis.

Thanks for thinking of me guys.
David, thanks on the Live View noise issue, yes the noise goes away when switching off SR, that's one less worry.

As far as the flash goes, it looks as though the firmware is just a red herring in my case. I've just been doing some testing and I still have no AF assist. I can get TC synch
in Av mode and Tav mode, didn't test the others.
In flash mode, even under conditions that would produce a blown put image, I get a black exposure. I even tried it with mirror lock up.

I didn't get a chance to call Pentax today but I have more info now so I'll be on the phone tomorrow.

I'm very grateful for the input from you guys.

07-08-2009, 09:14 PM   #50
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll just throw in my $0.02 worth. I've been running version 1.03 since it came out with no problems. I know for a fact my AF works in Live View (used it several times on vacation last week) and the AF-assist lamp works (probably one of the few times I've ever used it, so I definitely noticed it when it fired). So, I haven't seen the problems with my K20D/1.03 that you're seeing with yours.
07-08-2009, 09:20 PM   #51
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
I'll just throw in my $0.02 worth. I've been running version 1.03 since it came out with no problems. I know for a fact my AF works in Live View (used it several times on vacation last week) and the AF-assist lamp works (probably one of the few times I've ever used it, so I definitely noticed it when it fired). So, I haven't seen the problems with my K20D/1.03 that you're seeing with yours.
Thanks Russ, more evidence that it is my camera.
07-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've been running v1.03 on my K20 for quite a while. After reading this thread, I tested the AF assist lamp using both the on camera flash and also my AF-360FGZ flash. Testing was in a very dark room and everything worked as it should. The AF assist lamps worked fine for both flashes.

07-08-2009, 10:26 PM   #53
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by xs400 Quote
I've been running v1.03 on my K20 for quite a while. After reading this thread, I tested the AF assist lamp using both the on camera flash and also my AF-360FGZ flash. Testing was in a very dark room and everything worked as it should. The AF assist lamps worked fine for both flashes.
OK already! My camera is screwed.
07-08-2009, 11:23 PM   #54
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
OK already! My camera is screwed.
So, how is your camera?

::::::runnnnnsssss.....away....before I get mod-smacked::::::::::

Hey, I have a 40d and a lens I can sell ya!! hehehehe....
07-09-2009, 09:08 AM   #55
Closed Account

Just a quick answer, since I am confused now Does the K20D autofocus in Live View or do I have to push the AF button?

Regarding the flash assist... I have the 1.03 version and it works only in AF.S AF.C nothing in total dark.
07-09-2009, 01:55 PM   #56
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by raoulzg Quote
Just a quick answer, since I am confused now Does the K20D autofocus in Live View or do I have to push the AF button?

Regarding the flash assist... I have the 1.03 version and it works only in AF.S AF.C nothing in total dark.
Unless you are using manual focus mode, AF works in LV when you press the AF button. I use manual almost exclusively when working in LV. I suspect most people do the same. That's because it is a very complicated issue to AF in LV. The mirror has to drop in order to AF so LV will go dark and you can actually focus via the viewfinder if you want.

If it helps, my 40D handles AF the same way under LV...
07-09-2009, 02:40 PM   #57
Closed Account

Unless you are using manual focus mode, AF works in LV when you press the AF button. I use manual almost exclusively when working in LV. I suspect most people do the same. That's because it is a very complicated issue to AF in LV. The mirror has to drop in order to AF so LV will go dark and you can actually focus via the viewfinder if you want.

If it helps, my 40D handles AF the same way under LV...
Aha ok Yes, then everything is ok. Yes, I do manual focus in LV. Thank you for your answer
07-10-2009, 09:35 PM   #58
Damn Brit

So, how is your camera?

::::::runnnnnsssss.....away....before I get mod-smacked::::::::::

Hey, I have a 40d and a lens I can sell ya!! hehehehe....

Well I'll be buggered. That's a figure of speech by the way, not a request or an invitation

Took the dogs out this evening just before sunset. Walking back through the woods, it was quite dark. I took the 55-300, guess what. AF Assist Lamp worked and the camera took a normal image.
I wish there was a smiley for scratching ones head.
07-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #59

Just received my K20D today. Immediately upgraded firmware to 1.03 The autofocus assist beam on my Quantaray 9000 series flash works fine. Haven't tried the popup flash, but will.

Edit: Checked out the built-in flash. Works fine for auto-focus assist in low light. So far, no Ver103 problems!

Last edited by WalterGA; 07-27-2009 at 06:54 PM.
07-31-2009, 03:07 AM   #60

Location: N/E Victoria, Australia, on the mighty Murray River.
I'm new to this firmware stuff so this may sound a bit stupid,(or a lot). In the firmware instructions it says to copy the file to the root directory on the memory card. So, I plugged my Sandisk Extreme Ducati edition card into the computer (after formatting in the K20D) and the only thing on the card is an empty folder named DCIM or something similar, is this folder the root directory that I copy the 1.03 firmware to for updating. Also, is it recomended that the firmware be upgraded, does it really make a difference or would it be better to stay with the origional version 1.0 firmware. Are there any other bugs.