Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 07:10 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Gap in K20D body????

I purchased K20 three days ago. Brand new.
I gave it a test, I'm pleased with it, Firmware 1.03...
AF is fast enough for me, but...

While I was in the shop, I asked the seller to hand me the 18-55 AL kit lens.
OMG. Plastic mount, no clutch for releasing the focusing ring, I mean WTH????
I own the "old" DA 18-55 AL. What a difference!

Yesterday evening, travelling in a car, I raised the flash, and spotted a gap in the body. I can swear I see a shining metal pin in there.
If i press the flash bulb it will move for 0,5 mm or so, closing the gap. So this it's not in my mind only.

Now, I need to know if this problem is common or not with K20. Makes me wonder about the WR...
Where is the build quality we expect from a Pentax?

07-05-2009, 08:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Far for me to say fear not, but I see this on my k10d and k20d. I think it's normal and as I look a my cameras this piece seems to just be the reciever for the flash.
07-05-2009, 11:07 PM   #3
Site Supporter

This is a tough one. I have a K20D and the service manual for the GX10. The GX10 build is the same and in fact they show a K10D through out the manual. I was looking to see whats behind that seem. Its a sealed seem with nothing that I can tell metal where you see it. All the body parts of the K20D are sealed with gaskets, top plate, bottom plate, rear cover and it appears to be flanged seems with silicon gaskets.

My K20D has no gap, if I pop up the flash I can push the flange a bit and cause a gap thats very small much smaller than what you are showing and your not pushing it apart, thats just how it is with yours (?).

I have to recommend sending it back to Pentax mainly because I can't say its normal or not
07-05-2009, 11:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My DS had similar gap when I bought it new. It had to do with the plastic body shells not "squeezed" together well enough when assembling. This is not a flaw at all, just that the screws could be loosen and re-adjust the body shells a little for better fit.

07-05-2009, 11:25 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

For what its worth, my K20D has no space at all at that seam. I can't pull it apart at all. My guess is it will work fine as long as mine but since it bothers you, get it replaced now.
07-05-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for replies.
It seems it is only a shell indeed. The shining bit is the inside plastic cover. SO I'm relieved, sort of.
Any link to this Service manual? Even GX10.
07-06-2009, 09:21 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
Thanks for replies.
It seems it is only a shell indeed. The shining bit is the inside plastic cover. SO I'm relieved, sort of.
Any link to this Service manual? Even GX10.

I got the link over at the other forum over one year ago. At the time the original poster gave the password to get it so you did not have to register or anything; those sites are no longer active ;(. All I can find now is this site and you have to give your email go get it . But the Mcafee siteadvisor is showing green on this site so it can't be too bad and should be safe. Anyways if you want it you can try searching drpreview a bit deeper or just go here.

GX10 Service Manual
07-06-2009, 09:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hmmm. Just checked mine and there are no gaps all around. I even tried to "push" the plastic that shows the gap on your picture, and it barely shows something but not as wide as the gap in your picture.

I guess this has to do with assembly procedures and there is probably nothing wrong with your camera. Remember the plastic housing (and all parts related) are attached to the stainless steel chassis, but OTOH, I guess such gap compromises weather resistance features.

If I were you, I would take the camera to be checked.

07-06-2009, 10:13 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If I pop up the flash then push down on the "protrusion" where the Pentax logo is...I can make that bit of silver appear. It appears that it's just the shell, like others have said.

In my opinion, if it was that much of a concern, Pentax would have either a) made sure it was sealed tight like the other body seams or b) gasketed it. My guess is with the latter

By the way...it looks like you were handed the K2000 kit lens, the DA-L, which has a plastic mount and no quick-shift.
07-07-2009, 12:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jamesm007 Quote
I got the link over at the other forum over one year ago. At the time the original poster gave the password to get it so you did not have to register or anything; those sites are no longer active ;(. All I can find now is this site and you have to give your email go get it . But the Mcafee siteadvisor is showing green on this site so it can't be too bad and should be safe. Anyways if you want it you can try searching drpreview a bit deeper or just go here.

GX10 Service Manual
Thanks jamesm007. unfortunatelly they ask me for money, so I'll let them slide..

QuoteOriginally posted by rburgoss Quote
Hmmm. Just checked mine and there are no gaps all around. I even tried to "push" the plastic that shows the gap on your picture, and it barely shows something but not as wide as the gap in your picture.

I guess this has to do with assembly procedures and there is probably nothing wrong with your camera. Remember the plastic housing (and all parts related) are attached to the stainless steel chassis, but OTOH, I guess such gap compromises weather resistance features.

If I were you, I would take the camera to be checked.
QuoteOriginally posted by ryan s Quote
If I pop up the flash then push down on the "protrusion" where the Pentax logo is...I can make that bit of silver appear. It appears that it's just the shell, like others have said.

In my opinion, if it was that much of a concern, Pentax would have either a) made sure it was sealed tight like the other body seams or b) gasketed it. My guess is with the latter

By the way...it looks like you were handed the K2000 kit lens, the DA-L, which has a plastic mount and no quick-shift.
Hmm. Ok.
I am a bit more relieved reading this. As I said before the gap is not huge... Just 0,3-0,5 mm. It took me two days and the "proper" lighting to notice it, but is a bit dissapointing.

Could be the DA-L lens. In fact it must be.

Thanks to all for moral support. I am not sure if I'll make the 6 hr trip to the store and back, especially since it's in Shanghai, and I'm not the greatest Chinese speaker. But... I just may.
At least to take a look to the other cameras they have in the store.
07-08-2009, 04:48 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I went to Shanghai.
The store keeper called his boss and told me.... "Sorry".
Instead he sent me to Pentax customer support. 10 min away.
I had the pleasure to meet some very nice people, they asked me: "hey, we have the k-7,do you want to see it?". What was my answer, you think?
They appologised, replaced the camera, and gave me as present a Pentax bag. Hey, effort pays sometimes.
Also they recommended another store for Pentax cameras. How could I miss the opportunity?

Pentax Customer Service was 10/10 points in my regard. Can't get better than that

Last edited by octavmandru; 07-08-2009 at 08:13 AM.