Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 06:19 AM   #16

I don't know whether it's better or not. I think it's much easier as if we pressed the AF button and use the wheel (either front or back) to move the selection point.

07-07-2009, 06:37 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
I don't know whether it's better or not. I think it's much easier as if we pressed the AF button and use the wheel (either front or back) to move the selection point.
Interesting idea. The best would be to replace the AF button with a joystick like the Panasonic cameras have. It would solve the problem of having a 4-way controller with double functionnality. "Modes" are almost always bad in a U.I. because you always have to remember which mode you're in to know what the button will do. Putting the video on the mode dial is not that good either. I would prefer to reprogram the LV button for that functionnality. It wouldn't be so bad is the mode dial was not locked though...

Overall I'm not enamoured with the K-7 UI. Maybe it will grow on me and after one day of use it's too early to tell but my first impression is that I prefer the K20D UI.
07-07-2009, 06:43 AM   #18

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
Interesting idea. The best would be to replace the AF button with a joystick like the Panasonic cameras have. It would solve the problem of having a 4-way controller with double functionnality. "Modes" are almost always bad in a U.I. because you always have to remember which mode you're in to know what the button will do. Putting the video on the mode dial is not that good either. I would prefer to reprogram the LV button for that functionnality. It wouldn't be so bad is the mode dial was not locked though...

Overall I'm not enamoured with the K-7 UI. Maybe it will grow on me and after one day of use it's too early to tell but my first impression is that I prefer the K20D UI.
I guess video shooting is a main sell point for Pentax and so they put in to the mode dial. And that's why they implement the lock as to avoid users to change it to video mode accidentally.
07-07-2009, 07:10 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
that's why they implement the lock as to avoid users to change it to video mode accidentally.
No.
As I wrote in my blog, the mdlb (mode dial lock button) may have been requested by some pros always staying in "their" mode only, like "Av".

But with the addition of video mode, even them are forced to change mode and are in a mess now. Activating video is not fun.

Simultaneously adding the mdlb and a video mode was an engineering mistake. Like two different engineers not speaking up in meetings.

07-07-2009, 07:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

The 4-way controller could default to AF point select if the AF-dial is set to "SEL" anyway. Or it least, made to work this way via a custom setting.
That would make a lot of sense! Can you use your influence as a beta tester to get something like that happening?

If you're using SEL, your priority is probably changing the damned point, not the flash mode or custom image!

I always use focus point selection, and it's served me well--I actually rarely use the center point. It's the one thing I couldn't take with the k-m--no focus point selection--otherwise I might've stuck with that one.
07-07-2009, 07:41 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by farfisa Quote
Can you use your influence as a beta tester to get something like that happening?
My influence is nil but I'll report back
07-07-2009, 10:01 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Dang... that was probably one of the reasons I wanted to get the K7: AF speed of the DA*55. Still slow, huh?
Yes, it is the "bleeping" DA* (SDM) lenses that are slow, not the AF. I have said many times that in my experience, it seems that AF speed is limited by the slow micromotors in the Pentax SDM lenses, and NOT the camera. The only SDM lens I own now is the 50-135 and I am not buying another SDM until a second generation comes out.

thanks for the review Wheat.

07-07-2009, 11:54 AM   #23

Is the SDM a micro-motor??

I thought it is a ring-motor...
07-07-2009, 12:25 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by alexramos Quote
Is the SDM a micro-motor??

I thought it is a ring-motor...

micro motor Canon uses ring-motor.
07-07-2009, 02:06 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I want pictures of your first session lol! Need examples to fill the emptiness till I can get my own K7 lol.
07-07-2009, 02:41 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
micro motor Canon uses ring-motor.
Pentax SDM and Canon HSM can both be micro-motor or ring motor. So far, Pentax didn't deploy a ring motor at all while Canon now reserves ring motors to higher end lenses. I believe that there are a few Sigma lenses for Pentax with ring motor (but their ring motors seem to be weaker than Canon's).
07-07-2009, 03:15 PM   #27
Veteran Member

My influence is nil but I'll report back
I already made the following request. I dont know if you or others agree, but my suggestion was to have a "long" press (2-3 seconds) to switch permanently to AF point select mode, and another long press to switch back to default mode (the one we have now).

Hence Wheatfield and I can keep it permanently in AF select mode if we wish, which when night shooting or model shooting would be very handy.
07-07-2009, 04:11 PM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
I already made the following request. I dont know if you or others agree, but my suggestion was to have a "long" press (2-3 seconds) to switch permanently to AF point select mode, and another long press to switch back to default mode (the one we have now).
This is definitely a good suggestion. If Pentax is willing to introduce long button presses at all.

If they do, here is another request:
A long button press onto LV enters movie mode ...
07-07-2009, 04:18 PM   #29
Veteran Member

This is definitely a good suggestion. If Pentax is willing to introduce long button presses at all.

If they do, here is another request:
A long button press onto LV enters movie mode ...
Actually that would be quite a neat idea - and switch off the same way?
07-07-2009, 04:25 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by *isteve Quote
Actually that would be quite a neat idea - and switch off the same way?
Switch off must be possible in two ways:
- long button press again for those remembering why the camera is in movie mode
- short button press onto LV shows a help screen (the help screen is there now already, saying that pressing LV would re-activate movie mode) -- saying that pressing LV again would re-activate movie (like now) and pressing, e.g., OK would cancel it (so, you would ask something like "enter photo LV mode?").