Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 08:48 PM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Sorry , I just wanted to clarify because I've never tried out the DA*55.
Is it a slow focusing lens to start with on the K20D?

The OP comment was that focusing is no faster on the K-7, but may or may not be problematic.
hey kittykat, sorry for the confusion.
I meant to say that the DA*55 is an overall slow lens due to SDM. But it's pretty fast with manual focus heheh. That being said, it's still a pretty accurate lens.

I tried the K7 with an FA50 and it was lighting quick. A couple of "zzt zzt" and beep. done. on everything.

07-07-2009, 10:29 PM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
This is definitely a good suggestion. If Pentax is willing to introduce long button presses at all.

If they do, here is another request:
A long button press onto LV enters movie mode ...
Yes I have only had my K-7 for about 8 hours, but this is so far the biggest gripe I have. It is a pain to switch from Av or M mode all the way to movie mode, and then back to Av or M mode when I want to shoot stills again. And the mode lock button doesn't make it any easier. The movie mode deserves to be with Live View at this point in time anyway, since it is pretty much just a glorified recording of the live view signal...

Please pentax fix this issue quickly so I don't wear our my mode dial...
07-08-2009, 08:52 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Yes I have only had my K-7 for about 8 hours, but this is so far the biggest gripe I have. It is a pain to switch from Av or M mode all the way to movie mode, and then back to Av or M mode when I want to shoot stills again. And the mode lock button doesn't make it any easier. The movie mode deserves to be with Live View at this point in time anyway, since it is pretty much just a glorified recording of the live view signal...

Gads no. The last thing I want is for the thing to start shooting video because my finger has hovered over a button for too long.
For me, this aspect of the camera is just fine.
My only gripe so far is with the AF point selection being broken.
07-08-2009, 11:03 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Gads no. The last thing I want is for the thing to start shooting video because my finger has hovered over a button for too long.
Well, I guess the long press on Live View button to go into video mode isn't the best solution, but maybe once you are in Live View mode, you could press another button (...there are plenty on the darn thing, I'm sure one might be available) to prepare to record video. After I get done with my first round of giggles with the video mode, I doubt I'll use it all that often anyways, so I guess it isn't a huge deal. But I don't think it would hurt IMO.

-Jim

07-08-2009, 11:10 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
I agree here, I find I have the same problem with live view, I turn on live view too easily also, it needs to be away from the 4 way controller, otherwise I occasionally hear the mirror go up and then see live images on the display. It's a little too easy for me, but that is because I am not a big fan of live view to begin with.
07-08-2009, 01:12 PM   #36
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I hope to use it some more today as I just got the K7 late last night and had to charge the battery. I had the ac adapter from my k10 thou so I could fool around with it indoors while I waited lol.

I was kinda annoyed it refused to do RAW in full auto. I guess thats what USER is for. Other then that not too many issues, still getting used to where buttons are. I certainly like the strap latches over the K10D/K20D. I feel alot more confident dangling the camera on my neck, something I rarly felt comfortable doing. The only other issues I can really see so far while just fooling around with options is that it seems you have to disable RAW and choose JPG before it would even let you do the HDR capture. I realize the HDR is JPG I just don't see why it can't auto switch for the HDR taking and then back to raw afterwards.

The only other thing I can't seem to figure out is colour space. I have it on sRGB yet when I open them up in photoshop it says the files are in Adobe, its easy enough to convert the colour profile I just not sure what I'm doing wrong in that reguards.
07-08-2009, 03:01 PM   #37

SDM motors maybe under powered to keep small?

QuoteOriginally posted by Vaikis_ Quote
DA*55 lenses are slow, not Pentax K-7

Here some info: Pentax DA55 and FA50 - a comparison
Pretty large piece of glass to move around quickly. After reading about many SDM motors going bad I wonder if there is a problem with the design spec having them a bit under-powered to allow the total lens package to be smaller than the competition and it also saves on battery power (and perhaps cost). It is common if a motor is under powered for a particular task it can burn out early or have problems. Not trying to be negative but I would not be surprised to see a new generation SDM with more power by next year or so.

07-08-2009, 05:35 PM   #38
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photomy Quote
Pretty large piece of glass to move around quickly. After reading about many SDM motors going bad I wonder if there is a problem with the design spec having them a bit under-powered to allow the total lens package to be smaller than the competition and it also saves on battery power (and perhaps cost). It is common if a motor is under powered for a particular task it can burn out early or have problems. Not trying to be negative but I would not be surprised to see a new generation SDM with more power by next year or so.
More likely the gearing. The lower the gearing, the more precise (and slow) it is. The 55F1.4 needs to focus very precisely at F1.4.
07-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #39

I tried my friends 5D II with 85 1.2
It's really slooooooow too.
07-08-2009, 10:27 PM   #40
Forum Member

Interestingly enough. I had a friend come over this evening with his new 5DMk2 and he has three L lens but also a couple of the EF lens. We threw on his 50/1.8 and wholly scholly!!! Very loud... he laughed as he likes that lens a lot but as he says, "it wakes the neighbours".

Anyhow... I think the point was made here... the reaction you had with the USM was the same I had when I put on my DA*16-50 for the first time.... I was amazed how quiet it was.

Happy shooting!
07-08-2009, 11:36 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums

For me the locking mode dial is a BIG bonus and feature. I don't know how many times I accidently changed the mode and lost an hour of shots because I was not paying attention.
07-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #42
Veteran Member

How do you guys like having the ISO & EC button on top near the shutter button?

For me I really do not like the contortions needed to change ISO on the K20D. It's either the press and hold the OK button then move the front e-dial or the Fn button and hunt to the proper screen. So I am hoping you just press the ISO button then can let it go and dial in the ISO. If the button has a time out or cancels when pressing any other button that would be perfect. Basically the same for the EC button.
07-09-2009, 10:16 AM   #43
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I don't know how many times I accidently changed the mode and lost an hour of shots because I was not paying attention.
So, you are the "customer" who was requiring this

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
How do you guys like having the ISO & EC button on top near the shutter button?
You have to keep it pressed while using the rear dial. But it feels less contorted than OK plus front dial.
07-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #44
Veteran Member

You have to keep it pressed while using the rear dial. But it feels less contorted than OK plus front dial.
Actually, if you just press the ISO/EC buttons briefly (and release), it toggles the rear dial to adjust ISO/EC until you do something else, like half-press the shutter or touch the ISO/EC button again. So you can also use it in this "toggle" mode rather than holding it while using the thumbwheel. I am fine with the positions of these two buttons, and have had no trouble so far using them.
07-09-2009, 12:56 PM   #45
Veteran Member

hehehehehe...HEY, don't go blaming that one on ME...you already had the pre-release build camera by the time I came back to look at the K20D after a year...actually it was the K7 that lured me back from the edge. so, it's not my fault....really....this time anyway....hahahaha...

Actually, if you just press the ISO/EC buttons briefly (and release), it toggles the rear dial to adjust ISO/EC until you do something else, like half-press the shutter or touch the ISO/EC button again. So you can also use it in this "toggle" mode rather than holding it while using the thumb-wheel. I am fine with the positions of these two buttons, and have had no trouble so far using them.
Good to read...that makes sense to my thinking. My real prob is I have a fairly large palm but my fingers are not that long but also I've lost a lot of flexibility/dexterity in them due to life long RA. That makes the it tougher for me to use the button-dial dance on the my K20D. I can do it but it's a 'stretch'...

But, if someone needs blamed for this change...FINE...just point the fingers and shake your heads at me....I'm used to it...it's ALWAYS my fault....hehehehehe

Thanks to everyone who took the plunge early, it really is helping me out. Plus it gives HoyaTax a chance to make some fixes like that darned noise line which can show up under the 'right' conditions.

Falconeye: And to be honest it was one of your last blog columns which sealed the deal for me to make the swicth and sell my Canon gear. So it is YOUR FAULT I now must have daily LBA and have fallen back in deep 'smit' (as in deeply smitten) with using grain in my shots like I did waaaaay back when. SO THERE!!!