Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 02:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Something that DSLRs are lacking in this day & age

Correct me if i'm wrong, but I am suprised that no one has a DSLR yet out on the market can allows the connection of an external USB device such as a memory stick or external hard drive.

In theory it'd be quite a trivial feature to implement and can serve as a useful backup when your memory cards are out.

07-07-2009, 02:38 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
So a person who neglected to remember to bring enough memory cards is going to remember to bring those other things?
07-07-2009, 02:44 AM   #3

Some Canon and Nikon DSLR's can be outfitted with wifi.

The Pentax might work with the eyefi SD-card. That could be an option.

Tethered shooting is also an option.

But a 32GB sd-card has the the capacity for a lot of pictures. I don't really see the practical need to hook up an usb- or harddrive.

Kind regards

Thomas
07-07-2009, 02:51 AM   #4

When I am out for an entire day, I will usually have 4 or 5, 4 gig cards, can't imagine circumstances where I would need anything more. May become an issue if away for days at a time with no access to lap top or power supply. I can't imagine myself in such circumstances th far to fond of creature comforts.

07-07-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

In my opinion the main issue here is power. Camera does not have enough power to drive external HDDs. That means, only HDDs with external power supplies could be connected. This limits the range of external drives which can be used + severely limits usefulness of such solution - you must have power outlet to plug your HDD power supply. Of course there are specialized HDD enclosures with batteries, however such HDD usually have card readers and there's no need to connect them to camera

Also in USB connection one device must be master another slave. All HDDs are designed as slaves, so, cameras must be able to work in dual mode: master when HDD connected, slave when camera connected to PC. Of corse this is doable.
07-07-2009, 03:17 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
Correct me if i'm wrong, but I am suprised that no one has a DSLR yet out on the market can allows the connection of an external USB device such as a memory stick or external hard drive.

In theory it'd be quite a trivial feature to implement and can serve as a useful backup when your memory cards are out.
As a backup I don't think it's that useful but where it could be interesting is when exchanging pictures with other people. But actually I'd prefer a dual slot for these purpose.
07-07-2009, 03:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

There's quite a variety of equipment which can read and back up SD cards, and that includes portable, battery powered devices with their own Hard Disk or memory.

Not quite what you are looking for, but creating backups while on the move really isn't an issue any more.

07-07-2009, 03:37 AM   #8
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I use a Wolverine 80Gb unit for this purpose. Works as a card reader, battery operated backup HD. Nice, small and handy.

But I do see one issue that this could be an interesting add on. Video. If you could record straight to the HD and the HD battery was good for at least an hour, you would be able to shoot continuous with the HD in your pocket.
07-07-2009, 03:41 AM   #9

Photos: Albums
it also works with ipods...
07-07-2009, 03:43 AM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

I'd rather they put bluetooth in a DSLR, so you can instantly and quickly send a photo to a printing Kiosk, cell phone, computer, etc.
07-07-2009, 06:35 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Saying that it's irrelevant as long as you bring enough SD cards and that failure to do so is laziness is a bit short-sighted, imo. I've been considering something like this for when I go on any of the several long trips I've got in the plans to remote places where I won't be able to transfer images from cards to computer on a regular basis and I'd rather not be wholly dependant on fragile, easily lost SD cards.

A device like the Wolverine is close to ideal, but the problem is that when they throw that screen and whatever else in there you end up paying far more than you would for an ordinary portable hard drive of similar capacity. I've seen 1tb drives at close to $100, while I'm pretty sure your 80gb wolverine cost a bit more than that. Not that you're likely to need 1tb, but still, it'd be a nice option to use a wider array of memory devices.
07-07-2009, 07:45 AM   #12
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I get that but I will pay the extra price for the battery and the screen. Just being able to do a status check and make sure that the card actually copied over is worth a few extra dollars. Plus If I want to change out the HD, I can use any standard laptop drive with more capacity.
07-07-2009, 01:15 PM   #13

Meh...just bring along a netbook. Most come with a 160GB drive.
07-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
I'd rather not be wholly dependant on fragile, easily lost SD cards.
Hmm. A hard drive is far more fragile than an SD card.

If you lose the hard drive, ALL your pictures are gone. If you lose an SD card, only SOME of your pictures are gone.
07-07-2009, 01:58 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sharko Quote
Meh...just bring along a netbook. Most come with a 160GB drive.
I agree 100%!

You can buy a brand new acer netbook at Staples for $300, and it has a built in sd reader. How much is a Wolverine nowadays?