Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 10:29 AM   #1

Possible switcher with Viewfinder question

Hi all,

Manual focusing on Canon XT is becoming impossible thanks to the tiny pentamirror viewfinder, so I'm looking to upgrade. Dollar for dollar, a used K10d seems to be a better value than a used Canon 30D/40D, so I'm considering picking up a K10D just to use with MF M42 lenses (and leaving my XT for use with EOS lenses, etc).

My biggest requirement is a (larger) brighter viewfinder. I found this comparison chart somewhere which (if accurate) pretty much shows the K20d having a larger VF than the Canon xxD series. My question then is how the K10d viewfinder stacks up to the K20d in terms of size and brightness? I found some anecdotal evidence suggesting it's the same in both cameras, but I can't find any hard evidence to back that up.

I played with the K20d at Henry's yesterday and aside from

1) Absolutely needing a grip to support my lower hand
2) Adjusting to Pentax's control layout

.. I absolutely loved it. I can't find any good reason to drop the extra money on the K20d over the K10d at the moment, but I'm pretty excited to get into the Pentax side of things!

Thanks!

07-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #2
Pentaxian

I don't have any hard evidence -- but everything I know points to the K10/20 viewfinders being identical. The camera form-factor and layout is exactly the same between the two, and the viewfinders take exactly the same accessories (eyepieces, focus screens).

There are plenty of people around this site who have had (or still have) both cameras, so I'm sure my low-information post here will be improved upon!
07-07-2009, 10:49 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't have any hard evidence to support this but I have used my brother's K10D and would say that it's viewfinder looks the same as my K20D
07-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
they use the same exact viewing screen, therefore unless there is additional magnification in the prisim housing (which I doubt, because a K10D is the ecxact same body as K20D) they are the same.

if you are considering using this with only MF lenses, go for a split image view-finder also

07-07-2009, 11:23 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks guys. I'm feeling better and better about the K10d every day. I'm browsing the site and saw a few threads about metering issues with MF lenses so I'm going to do my research and see exactly what I need to pick up, but I think I'm going to scour craigslist for a good deal and pick one up one of these days!
07-07-2009, 03:47 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Martytoof Quote
Thanks guys. I'm feeling better and better about the K10d every day. I'm browsing the site and saw a few threads about metering issues with MF lenses so I'm going to do my research and see exactly what I need to pick up, but I think I'm going to scour craigslist for a good deal and pick one up one of these days!
Check out the marketplace on this forum as well. Might not be the cheapest, but most of the vendors there are good people.
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

FYI, if you're going to use the K10D for M42 lenses, it will help you to become acquainted with the Green button that will allow you to meter with the manual lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
07-07-2009, 08:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Urkeldaedalus Quote
FYI, if you're going to use the K10D for M42 lenses, it will help you to become acquainted with the Green button that will allow you to meter with the manual lenses.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/60081-usage-green-button.html
That is an excellent resource regarding the magic "green button", but this one covers the particulars of manual lens shooting in a little more detail:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/59272-shooting-...x-dslrs-f.html
Steve

07-08-2009, 02:32 PM   #9

Original Poster
Just bought a K10d so this gives me plenty of reading material to go through before it ships. Thanks everyone!