Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 01:38 PM   #1

K7 and tethering?

Hi everyone capable of knowledge :-)
K7 = some kind of PRMA aka Pentax Remote Assistant software aka remote shooting (needed for mass lightbox production shots) or not?
If not just now (as PPL4 is not available for download to compare with SilyPix latest beta)- is it possible that it WILL be available later?
Idea of this post: upgrade to K7 from K20D with grip and 3 batteries and AC adapter+ absolutely delighted IQ... and the forementioned tethering- a MUST
Best and happy shooting and hoping for Your prompt reply (and yes I know how fast Earth rotates and when people sleep :-) )
JR anyway and in big trouble with upgrade... I guess- or maybe not?

07-07-2009, 05:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Tethering is gone.
This costed the K-7 a couple of sub-category stars in my concluding review report.

Tethering may come back if everybody is crying it out loud enough. But I fear that the corresponding people already work for different companies or in different projects now ...

If we're lucky, they worked on PPL4 and could be re-allocated ...
07-07-2009, 05:44 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Tethering is gone.
This costed the K-7 a couple of sub-category stars in my concluding review report.

Tethering may come back if everybody is crying it out loud enough. But I fear that the corresponding people already work for different companies or in different projects now ...

If we're lucky, they worked on PPL4 and could be re-allocated ...
A bit strange they would remove something on a camera in that class when they already had the functionality on K10D and K20D. But I'm not sure, did they have it on the K10D at launch? Maybe they will release firmware and software upgrade? I hope so although I never used it once on my K10D and K20D!
07-07-2009, 07:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I use tethering a lot. In fact I'm at a shoot right now with our Canon equipment shooting tethered (i love free wifi). The Canon software is FAST and great. It takes less 3 seconds for me to view and edit our Canon 50D's full RAW files on my Macbook Pro via USB.

I hope Pentax improves their software as I'd want to use my Pentax glass for my food shoots.

07-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

THIS IS THE BIGGEST LACK IN K-7.
And k20 is not working with Vista or windows 7. dammit
07-08-2009, 09:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hmmm..and I thought K7 already hit it out the ballpark and scored a home run with this unit!
..as I have said, there's always a compromise with Pentax. They always seem to leave something behind leaving you wanting for something else.
07-08-2009, 09:13 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Im in the dark what you mean when you say tethering refering to photographing

Tethering - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

???

07-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Maybe we just have to wait Who knows, they might have a new Pentax Remote Assistant in the works!
07-08-2009, 11:41 AM   #9
wll
Veteran Member

I Don't Think Pentax Realizes

Tethering is a VERY big deal, being able to see your image on your lap top so the client or you can easily view and critique your image is of most importance.

It is just as important as WB, AF or ? in IMHO.

wll
07-08-2009, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I have to agree. My netbook is coming in real soon and being able to show a model how he/she is doing is a really big deal to me. Beats looking at the really really small 3" screen (even if the colors and details are nice... its still hard to see all the details).

Wait... the K10D and K20D can tether? How about the K200D?
07-08-2009, 03:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Im in the dark what you mean when you say tethering refering to photographing
Yeah, English can use strange words. The good thing is that it has a very precise meaning here:

The ability to control a camera via wire such that you adjust exposure parameters and focus and trigger the shutter remotely from a connected computer. Which will also display the resulting image for inspection.

Pentax Remote Assistant 3 used to provide a bit of this but never was considered to be professional grade and probably has never seriously been used.
07-08-2009, 03:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dugrant153 Quote
Beats looking at the really really small 3" screen (even if the colors and details are nice... its still hard to see all the details)
Actually, connecting the K-7 via HDMI to a field monitor or HDTV may be a better option anyway. The K-7 makes for a very fast and high quality image browse application, maybe only outperformed by the PS3. You get full HD (1080i which for still images is as good as 1080p).
07-08-2009, 03:48 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
THIS IS THE BIGGEST LACK IN K-7.
And k20 is not working with Vista or windows 7. dammit
I replied to your Dear Pentax comment. Run it As Administrator or turn off UAC. Thank MS for that gem
07-09-2009, 01:57 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
I replied to your Dear Pentax comment. Run it As Administrator or turn off UAC. Thank MS for that gem
Nope! It is not Microsoft fault, if software maker could not do things in a right way, because the need for administrator rights to run this program is just a violation of bare essentials of computing

It is not Windows 95 era anymore! In fact - things like this are the main cause of security problems and the need for all kind of "security software" in Windows environment.

Just my few lines of OT ranting - You may ask anyone with a little more IT/system administrator experience to confirm this.
07-09-2009, 03:18 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Actually, connecting the K-7 via HDMI to a field monitor or HDTV may be a better option anyway. The K-7 makes for a very fast and high quality image browse application, maybe only outperformed by the PS3. You get full HD (1080i which for still images is as good as 1080p).

Good point mate

cheers