Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Not Registered

But if there is no noise... how can people notice that you have a DSLR?

And if people doesnt notice that you have a DSLR... how can they come to see the pictures that you are taking and ask you "how come your pictures are so much better than mine?"

07-07-2009, 08:09 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Did you my any chance notice that your camera was quite big, and that the lens was quite a bit wider than any of your Pentax ones?

Welcome to ring type USM motors. Only available on the top lenses, fast and quiet but rather large and cumbersome.

And certainly not used in all Canon lenses.

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
today I was shooting again with my studios 5D MK II ...

and I got burned

I was pressing half way to auto focus ... no sound ...seems like nothing happened

pressing again to auto focus ... again no sound

turning the camera to my friend at work and said " some thing wrong with the camera it does not focus"

my friend said " it is this is Canon auto focus"

this is really amazing.. with Pentax I am used to zzzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzz
back and fourth

canon was so quiet and quick ....

I love my Pentax but this is a big deal ... I really hope the K-7 is better BC it is a BIG DEAL

I notice that before but for some reason did not realize how much of a different it is..

I am not bushing, but I really hope Pentax have a plane, other then increasing lenses price
07-07-2009, 08:19 PM   #18

I have the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 with the HSM ("Hyper Sonic Motor") and this is completly silent on my k10d. I think as many stated before it all depends on what lens you are using.
07-07-2009, 09:14 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Pentax AF speed/noise lens variables seem to be:

- lens focus mechanism (SDM, non SDM),
- camera body type (K10 has less powerful af motor than k7),
- lens size (bigger mass for af motor to move can mean slower AF)
- lens engineering quality (tight or sloppy or 'crunchy' lens build can mean +/- AF noise and slowness).

I've noticed myself the big difference in lens noise and AF performance between focussing with a light standard kit lens vs a big heavy zoom. Also the racket some old, cheap Sigma AF telephotos make compared to newer or better built lenses is pronounced.

07-07-2009, 10:23 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
THe 5D Mark II costs more than twice as much as even Pentax's newest and fanciest DSLR.

Why would you compare a $1,300 camera to a $2,600 camera?
Because the K-7 is the flagship. It SHOULD be comparable to other brands.
Plus from a lot of other reviews, I saw that the 5D mark ii had really SLOW focusing. whats the deal?
07-07-2009, 10:26 PM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gruoso Quote
But if there is no noise... how can people notice that you have a DSLR?

And if people doesnt notice that you have a DSLR... how can they come to see the pictures that you are taking and ask you "how come your pictures are so much better than mine?"

XD made me chuckle at 12 30
07-07-2009, 11:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

A few weeks ago, we had some professional studio shots made of the family for our wedding anniversary (a bit of a splurge, but I wanted to make it special). Naturally, I was curious about the gear the photographer was using. Canon 5D - I observed the same thing - very smooth, silent, fast, effortless AF.

I really won't try to compare it to Pentax, cost aside.
The screw AF drive on the Pentax allows it to autofocus with a lens designed 20 years ago. You may or may not appreciate that, but many users do.

You should find the K-7 and DA*50-135mm combination quite smooth and silent.
Apart from long telephotos, even the screw-drive DA lenses have pretty fast and smooth focusing, though its impossible to run away from the zzzzit, zzzit sound.
07-08-2009, 02:59 AM   #23

Omg igp...

07-08-2009, 05:26 AM   #24
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vdubbin099 Quote
I have the sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 with the HSM ("Hyper Sonic Motor") and this is completly silent on my k10d. I think as many stated before it all depends on what lens you are using.
I have 50 - 150mm Sigma with HSM. I experienced the same feeling as the OP first time I put it on the K200d. No noise at all, and it's very fast on the K-7, combined with the K-7 shutter, it's a very nice experience.

Only other lens I've heard that's quieter is my MF prime.
07-08-2009, 07:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi again

as some of you know I am focusing on street photography.
I would never be caught dead with a camera as big as the Canon

I wrote a few threads about why I think Pentax is one of the best option for street...

so again no need to tell me why Pentax is great

saying that ... I do think that my Pentax camera (K20D) need some improvements
mostly in the AF division

maybe it was the lens, as you said, but Pentax only have HSM on the DA lenses and I don't buy DA lenses as I also shoot film
07-08-2009, 07:30 AM   #26
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jacksonpritt Quote
THe 5D Mark II costs more than twice as much as even Pentax's newest and fanciest DSLR.

Why would you compare a $1,300 camera to a $2,600 camera?
This is not a valid point anymore. 5D mkI's AF works just as good with the USM lenses and a used 5D in excellent condition costs about 950 euros here. 150e cheaper than K-7.
07-08-2009, 07:35 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
This is not a valid point anymore. 5D mkI's AF works just as good with the USM lenses and a used 5D in excellent condition costs about 950 euros here. 150e cheaper than K-7.
But K-7 is a new model so it's still not really fair. I know Pentax users are always apologetic because the new body price is still cheaper than new canon/nikon. If K-7 is as good as the reviews say, in a year the prices of Pentax would probably win vs Canonikon even when you take AF into account. Hopefully by then the SDM af is improved to the point that it's faster than canonikon on similar pricing so we can have quiet AND fast like canonikon.

If AF noise is really an issue for you, then you probably should get a canon/nikon. If it's just speed, I heard that K-7 has upped the game in terms of in-body focusing but not SDM yet.
07-08-2009, 07:41 AM   #28
Inactive Account

I'm most interested to see the speed of Sigma's HSM with K-7. I got this 50-150 HSM II to try out. Currently it might be limited by K20D's AF capabilities.
07-08-2009, 08:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

What's funny is I had *exactly* the same experience with my 16-50. I put it on the cam, touched the shutter button. Though it was broke. Then I realized the focus confirmation light was on! Dead silent. Not all that *fast*, but definitely silent.
07-08-2009, 08:22 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Lets be honest - the Pentax autofocus is slower and noiser than the competition.

Will it stop you from creating great moments of time - no

(On a side note my sons friend has a Canon 450D with an assortment of non-L lenses and I trust my arty sons (22) judgement & have judged for myself (200 pics) that the clarity,sharpness & colour from my "geriatric" K10D puts the 450 to shame)

Regards

Dylan