Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #31
Inactive Account

Interesting comments here regarding the 5D2. I shot with the Mark II until recently and for landscapes in good light the af is just fine but take that thing indoors and you had better use center point autofocus as the af accuracy varies widely on the outer af points, often missing when it comes to critical focus.

07-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #32

Outer AF points are a known weakness of the 5D/5DII AF system. They aren't cross-type points, so they don't acquire targets as well as the center point. Canon totally skimped on that, which is pretty ridiculous considering the $2700 price tag and that every other Canon camera at any price has multiple cross-type AF sensors except for Rebels.
07-08-2009, 08:54 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The other potential negative issue is that there is no glass available that can potentially match the Canon's 5D MK11 sensor (and lets not talk about reliability issues)

I wish I could find the report that I read that "L" lenses (resolution) that were very respectable on the old 5D were showing up soft on the newer 5D due to its increased megapixels count.

So yes put a non L lens on a 5D MK11 and you will get faster autofocus - and that is the "only" benefit you will get;-)

Dyl
07-08-2009, 09:19 AM   #34

QuoteOriginally posted by dylansalt Quote
The other potential negative issue is that there is no glass available that can potentially match the Canon's 5D MK11 sensor (and lets not talk about reliability issues)

I wish I could find the report that I read that "L" lenses (resolution) that were very respectable on the old 5D were showing up soft on the newer 5D due to its increased megapixels count.

So yes put a non L lens on a 5D MK11 and you will get faster autofocus - and that is the "only" benefit you will get;-)

Dyl
Respectfully, all the chatter about a 21MP FF sensor outresolving lenses is hogwash. Those lenses weren't even outresolved by the 10MP 40D sensor (1.6x crop), which has a smaller sensel size than the 5DII has. Theoretically the 40D is tougher on lenses in terms of resolution because of the smaller sensels, so if the 40D still gains from good glass then so does the 5DII. At some point we'll reach the limits of lens resolution, but we're not there yet.

07-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Maffer Quote
This is not a valid point anymore. 5D mkI's AF works just as good with the USM lenses and a used 5D in excellent condition costs about 950 euros here. 150e cheaper than K-7.
Used versus new is a bogus argument. I could use the same reasoning to argue that a BMW is cheaper than a Toyota.
07-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #36
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
Because the K-7 is the flagship. It SHOULD be comparable to other brands.
Plus from a lot of other reviews, I saw that the 5D mark ii had really SLOW focusing. whats the deal?
Yes, 5D (MkI or II, no big differences) is really slow to AF... compared to 1D series!

Compared to Pentax... well, let's just say it's "different" shall we...?

On a side note, when used with classical lenses (non USM ones like the EF 35f2), it's actually the same as Pentax so the in-lens motor makes a big part of the speed difference. Too bad Pentax didn't go ring USM on their high end lenses IMO... maybe soon with SDM II (Roland, any news?)
07-08-2009, 10:18 AM   #37
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I admit that I am a little bitter lately from the extremely hard chase after "rare" Pentax lenses... I am trying not to talk about it in the forum.

it was so hard to find the 20mm FA , and when I finally found it (used) I had to say goodbye to many dollars

This all time Nikon had a 20mm FF 2.8 glass still in production and available at B&H for a little over $200

I am bitter for the 40% price jump on Pentax lenses

I am bitter that the K-7 is still a APS-C camera and not such an upgrade from K20D

Still I Love Love my current Pentax kit

so I am just letting out some steam ... not starting an argument or anything

the important thing is that I got the lenses the I want , now I can go out side and shoot
07-08-2009, 10:45 AM   #38

Photos: Albums
Apples and Oranges

You like what you like, and a heated "discussion" is not going to change it. I have had both Cannon and Nikon. Both are good but don't fit my own personal prefrence.

My Olympus E-500 14-42 is nearly silent unless it "misses and hunts", (rare) then it is still really quite, and the pictures are great, but I am seriously looking toward a Pentax K-7. Other facters make me look around at what might be. I have, shoot and like very much, both Oly and Pentax with film. I find it very hard to make a choice of only one.

Steve N

07-08-2009, 10:56 AM   #39
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote
You like what you like, and a heated "discussion" is not going to change it. I have had both Cannon and Nikon. Both are good but don't fit my own personal prefrence.

My Olympus E-500 14-42 is nearly silent unless it "misses and hunts", (rare) then it is still really quite, and the pictures are great, but I am seriously looking toward a Pentax K-7. Other facters make me look around at what might be. I have, shoot and like very much, both Oly and Pentax with film. I find it very hard to make a choice of only one.

Steve N
I think you are right ... I think we have very similar taste

to me when Pentax will drop the 35mm format completely and say no way for FF
that is when my next upgrade will be something else
I will keep my Pentax film and my Pentax kit still as I love it...
by then I hope that some one will have a FF mirror less camera
07-08-2009, 12:36 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
Hi again

as some of you know I am focusing on street photography.
I would never be caught dead with a camera as big as the Canon

I wrote a few threads about why I think Pentax is one of the best option for street...

so again no need to tell me why Pentax is great

saying that ... I do think that my Pentax camera (K20D) need some improvements
mostly in the AF division

maybe it was the lens, as you said, but Pentax only have HSM on the DA lenses and I don't buy DA lenses as I also shoot film
I also have a Nikon D700 and the auto focus speed is unreal compared to Pentax. Now I am waiting for my K-7 to arrive and look forward to comparing this with my Nikon. The nikon is very quiet as well... I bought it mostly for two reasons. The view finder (full frame) and low light focusing / high ISO performance for evening street shooting. Now if I could only afford the lenses, I would be good
07-08-2009, 01:08 PM   #41
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
. . . . . . . .
I am bitter for the 40% price jump on Pentax lenses . . . . . . .
I'm still puzzled about this 40% price increase. Yesterday, I looked up the current price at B&H of all 10 DA lenses I've bought over the last four years; of the 10, only three are higher now than when I bought them and certainly not by 40%. Are the major price increases confined to the DA* lenses (none of which I own)?

Jer
07-08-2009, 01:15 PM   #42
Pentaxian

I bought into Pentax as it offered great bang for the buck built in shake reduction and tons of old glass to play with. Now that the price increase has taken hold, I'm not so sure Pentax/Hoya isn't shooting themselves in the foot. I suspect with the current cost comparisons I would have bought another brand. Since I have considerable $'s invested in Pentax glass before the increase, I'm standing pat. Heres hoping the K7 delivers.
07-08-2009, 01:39 PM   #43
Veteran Member

Original Poster
to be honest I am over this thread I was upset yesterday when I was thinking how hard it was to get the lens that I want.

but again to be honest its also part of the fun that every thing is rare and you feel that your lenses are more special.

in any way obviously every update that is not FF is a little disappointing to people like me that want the 35mm format

but the good things about pentax are still good
07-08-2009, 01:55 PM   #44
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ivoire Quote
I bought into Pentax as it offered great bang for the buck built in shake reduction and tons of old glass to play with. Now that the price increase has taken hold, I'm not so sure Pentax/Hoya isn't shooting themselves in the foot. I suspect with the current cost comparisons I would have bought another brand. Since I have considerable $'s invested in Pentax glass before the increase, I'm standing pat. Heres hoping the K7 delivers.
Again, I remain puzzled - based on B&H prices yesterday, 7 out of 10 of the DA lenses I've bought over the past four years are cheaper now than when I got 'em. Where are the price increases people are talking about - am I living in an alternate universe (I hope so, since the price increase doesn't seem to have materialized here)?

Jer
07-08-2009, 03:09 PM   #45
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I was shooting today again with my 870. Am I just anticipating or is there an auto-point problem?

With out reading any other replies, yes, you anticipated and therefore it must be an equipment malfunction. I love my parkerised, double extractor, heat shielded, speed feeder synthetic stock 590, you should try one too!!!.
Makes one a much better shooter..

Cheers. Mike.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 07-08-2009 at 03:16 PM.