Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-07-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
Veteran Member

I was shooting today again with 5D MKII

today I was shooting again with my studios 5D MK II ...

and I got burned

I was pressing half way to auto focus ... no sound ...seems like nothing happened

pressing again to auto focus ... again no sound

turning the camera to my friend at work and said " some thing wrong with the camera it does not focus"

my friend said " it is this is Canon auto focus"

this is really amazing.. with Pentax I am used to zzzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzzzzzzz....zzzzzzz
back and fourth

canon was so quiet and quick ....

I love my Pentax but this is a big deal ... I really hope the K-7 is better BC it is a BIG DEAL

I notice that before but for some reason did not realize how much of a different it is..

I am not bushing, but I really hope Pentax have a plane, other then increasing lenses price

07-07-2009, 04:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redpigeons Quote
today I was shooting again with my studios 5D MK II ...

and I got burned

I am not bushing, but I really hope Pentax have a plane, other then increasing lenses price
Well, I'm generally looking through the viewfinder when I half press the shutter. This the difference.

And the "plane".... Could be the reason for the recent price increase.
07-07-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by octavmandru Quote
Well, I'm generally looking through the viewfinder when I half press the shutter. This the difference.

And the "plane".... Could be the reason for the recent price increase.
OK real answers please..

I am big Pentax fan as you are (I guess you don't know me yet but I am fairly active on this forum) ... looking through the view finder had nothing to do with the speed of the focus (and obviously I was looking)

Pentax have a problem with auto focus speed ... its a real issue

I agree no point to for this thread thou... it was just shocking to see the difference.

we can delete this thread now please ... it was made out of shock reaction
07-07-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Inactive Account

What lens? Lens makes a big difference. Some Canons are buzzy, but the best ones are virtually silent

07-07-2009, 04:54 PM   #5

THe 5D Mark II costs more than twice as much as even Pentax's newest and fanciest DSLR.

Why would you compare a $1,300 camera to a $2,600 camera?
07-07-2009, 05:00 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Lens...

The lens you use makes a difference in both noise and speed. Pentax has lenses that are designated with an "SDM" to indicate that they have an in lens motor like the Canons. They are very quiet lenses but I'm not sure about the autofocus speed. I know the K-7 is supposed to be much faster with screwdriven lenses, but I'm not sure if the SDM lenses depend entirely on the lens motor or if the camera makes a difference too.

Here are two videos on youtube to illustrate the difference in sound between a Pentax screw driven lens and a Pentax SDM lens.

YouTube - PENTAX DA 18-55 II F3.5-5.6 (take 2)
YouTube - PENTAX DA 17-70 F4 SDM [IF] (take 2)
07-07-2009, 05:10 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Canon solution is...buying a new motor with each lens. The Pentax solution is an in-body motor, so all the old lenses can benefit. Two different solutions. Sooo...you vote with your pocketbook: which one you buy.

07-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
This reminds me the 1st time using a friend's EOS10. He asked me to take a picture of him. But WTF, it wouldn't AF. After a few attempts I realized it was already in focus, instant and quiet. And that was like... early 90's? What Pentax has been doing all these years? Now I know this is silly, but I have grown rather like the Zzz... AF sound of my FA lenses. I don't need no AF beep and I know when it is in focus. Or at least if it failed to lock focus, I know it tried.
07-07-2009, 05:12 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah, 5D Mk II...

Get an L lens with USM and you get silent, fast focus. And when you hit the shutter?? Cannon fire (no, that's the correct spelling). BOOOM.

What do I have here? I have a K-7 (much cheaper than a 5D Mk II) and two star lenses, DA*16-50 and DA*60-250, cheaper than their Canon equivalents. With this, I get silent, almost, but not quite as fast focus. And when I hit the shutter? A slight *swish*. This, my friend, is the quietest DSLR I have ever seen, let alone used. If silent shooting is an important point for you, then this is a much better setup than any 5D Mk II setup you can put up to it.
07-07-2009, 05:17 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
yes its was the USM 24-105
but still more then it was quiet it was fast!

I did not know about the in body AF of Pentax
07-07-2009, 05:19 PM   #11
Inactive Account

24-105 is a nice lens. I like mine.
07-07-2009, 05:24 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Yohan Pamudji Quote
24-105 is a nice lens. I like mine.
it was very impressive I must say

I still love my Pentax primes... right now I am not thinking about upgrading I hope that by the time I will Pentax will have better solutions
07-07-2009, 05:28 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I was shooting today again with my 870. Am I just anticipating or is there an auto-point problem?

07-07-2009, 07:46 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My Pentax smc FA 100-300mm f4.7-5.8 sounds like a chainsaw on my K10D.
I love it, it takes good pics.
07-07-2009, 08:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I shoot with our Canon gear regularly, and haven't shot with my Pentax lately (sold my K20Ds for K7 this month or next month). The USM AF in the lenses are really awesome. Try other Canon models, the 5DII's AF is pretty ancient and sucks like hell in low light.

We use L lenses (17-40/4, 24-70/2.8 and 70-200/2.8) and they're great but I'm honestly more impressed with the detail I get out of the K20D with my Limited lenses. Clients can't tell the difference though.

Even though I've got a full Canon system for work, I still prefer my Pentax system for my personal shooting.