Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #136
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
Looking at your equipment list, one might think you are being serious.

At least I am 'smart' enough to list only my Pentax related equipment.
I don't really see a problem that people show, what else they use for photography. Several have a Eos 5D, along their Pentax line.

I actually like it, when people in their signature or other, show the gear they use. This can be an inspiration for others, considering options.

QuoteOriginally posted by pingflood Quote
Yeah, the 24-105 is very very good. I love mine.

IS with primes definitely helps, and I wish that was an option. That said, IS only gets you so far if the subject isn't static, so there's something to be said for fast primes and high ISO too. If you can shoot at f/1.4 with nice ISO 3200 you have a pretty capable setup!
Do Canon not have wide-angle lenses with IS and f/2.8 aperture that can also be used on FF ? I actually thought they did.

A friend of mine got the 24-105/4, which almost seem the standard zoom for FF cams. But he wasn't too happy with it for some Pro work he had to do. So pretty much goes with Leica primes instead.

Last edited by Jonson PL; 07-28-2009 at 03:16 PM.
07-28-2009, 05:18 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Jonson PL Quote
Do Canon not have wide-angle lenses with IS and f/2.8 aperture that can also be used on FF ? I actually thought they did.

A friend of mine got the 24-105/4, which almost seem the standard zoom for FF cams. But he wasn't too happy with it for some Pro work he had to do. So pretty much goes with Leica primes instead.
No, unfortunately no IS and 2.8 on FF. Word on the street has it there will be a 24-70 IS but I'd hate to see the size of that thing. I guess they figured f/4 and IS was a decent compromise for size/weight.

I can't imagine why your friend wasn't happy with the 24-105. The only gripe I have with it is distortion and vignetting at 24mm (all fine by 28mm, and there's some speculation as to whether the 24mm setting was driven by marketing rather than product development) which is easily fixed in post, and automagic if you use DPP. But it's fantastically sharp even wide open, the IS is very very good, and it covers a useful range.

Of course, if you are used to fast, sharp primes it's hard to be happy with any zoom lens. For versatility and weather sealing I like the 24-105 on my FF body, for the best IQ I go with the Sigma 50/1.4 or Canon 85/1.8...

All Canon chat aside, I am bringing just my Leica M4-2 on my next overseas trip. With one lens. It's fun to challenge yourself at times, no matter the brand.
07-30-2009, 08:38 AM   #138
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Well you are correct and yes Pentax does need faster lenses with no doubt,
the k7 has some improvements in the AF-C, but pentax needs to improve their SDM.