Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 12:06 AM   #31
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I just wanted to show off a couple of high ISO K10D shots.

Not for any other reason then to show the K10D is not noisey at high ISO.

Pixel fixated trols like the OP forget that real world photos look alot different then 100% crops of bookshelves. They also forget that Pentax has very low in camera noise reduction (default setting). The testers of this world seldom change the Pentax settings.

Trolish pixel peepers fixated on Canon also miss the pluses of in body SR.

So my last shot was at 1/13. The fastest Canon IS lens (I think) is the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM.

So to make the shot, the canon would need to be one stop higher with the aperture (2.0 to 2.8), so either the Canon needs to shoot at ISO 3200, or at 1/6. Either way I would expect the image to degrade. Did I mention the Canon lens is $1250.00?

Try this with the 28-70 f4.0 L and your shutter needs to be 1/3 (no way hand held), or ISO 6400.

07-08-2009, 03:40 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amphysics Quote
It is an unfortunate thing to compare the professional level camera of Pentax with the Canon's entry level camera 500D. However, if you observe the two, you will get a disappointing conclusion.

1, Canon 500D has 15 million pixels, more than 14.6 million for K7.

2, Canon 500D has much cleaner picture than K-7. Just look at the comparasion
Canon EOS 500D Review - Image Quality | PhotographyBLOG

Pentax K-7 Review - Image Quality | PhotographyBLOG

It is seen that ISO3200 for 500D is just equivalent to ISO800 for K7

3, Canon 500D has FULL HD movie, but K7 does not have.

4, Canon 500D has almost all the functions that K7 boasts, such as Dynamic Range Expansion, Anti-Shake(Lens), Self-Cleaning, Fast Focus. In addition, Canon is known to have the accurate metering, in stead of dark Metering for Pentax.

In sum, there is nothing that is unique to K7 except the 100% viewfinder, but does it worth the extra $1500-$800=$700????????????

The worst thing for K7 is that the IQ does not improve much. It is a big drawback for Pentax.

I'd rather have a low-noise 10 million pixel camera than have a noisy 14.6 million camera, not to mention the fact that pixel # for 500D is 15 million.

In sum, 500D is much much better than K7. I will not spend extra money to become a Pentaxian.
Honestly, who gives a chocolate covered ****? Take off.

Jason
07-08-2009, 03:46 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Wow, Amphysics, you have made some amazing points. I wonder why anyone buys the Canon 40D or 50D, since clearly the T1i is the best camera for the dollar available, short of full frame of course...
07-08-2009, 03:53 AM   #34
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
When I looked at the pictures from the Rebel and the K-7, my first thought was, "Wow, look at that great white balance!" That's really incredible. My second thought was, did they even turn in-camera noise reduction on for those shots. If not, wow again. You could probably get as good or better than the Rebel if you turned noise reduction on. It's great, because people can use the level of noise reduction that they want instead of automatically having the image smudged.

07-08-2009, 04:19 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
ok, I'll give you $2 if you leave. And then you can go buy your 500D and be happy.
Hey! A new business model!

/Heads off to troll some tech forums for cash....
07-08-2009, 04:53 AM   #36
Veteran Member

why even bother make him any case.

He is just a jerk who want a lot of people angry.

Goodbuy and farewell . It was a short, but very intensitive time here at the forum.

We wish you goodluck in your new canon-fanboy life

()
07-08-2009, 06:31 AM   #37
Zav
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by asw66 Quote
Hey! A new business model!

/Heads off to troll some tech forums for cash....
Why don't you go to an Apple fanboy forum? You would make a lot of money there!

As your personnal consultant, I'll take 35% of your earnings.

07-08-2009, 04:11 PM   #38
Veteran Member

Come people... Take it easy.
He made a mistake comparing the a BMW with a Toyota... But it's beginner mistake.
07-08-2009, 04:59 PM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Wow, Amphysics, you have made some amazing points. I wonder why anyone buys the Canon 40D or 50D, since clearly the T1i is the best camera for the dollar available, short of full frame of course...
I've been browsing around here the last few weeks and decided it was time to chime in being I think you have brought up the arena where I am stuck.

I use a 40D at work but don't own a DSLR of my own was ready to finally make a purchase before the end of the summer. Being I don't have any lens systems in my bag, I am free to start anew with which ever product manufacturer is offering me the most camera for around $1500 (I'll then dig deep and add quality lenses over time.)

I know we are talking about the T1i in this thread, but I am wondering how people feel the K-7 stacks up to the 50D as that is where I am currently looking as well (and it still comes in a few hundred cheaper with the 28-135 IS USM Kit lens.) It would seem like the more reasonable comparison.

Video is not a deal breaker to me, but built quality is very important being I live in a very cold environ. I was impressed right away with the K-7 specs (as far as weather sealing and cold tolerance) which is why I am particularly drawn to it right off the bat. I've spent the last few weeks digging through reviews, but am still awaiting a definitive final word on the K-7 from a reputable source with the production firmware.

Anyway, not trying to feed the troll with my first post - I'd just like to hear some thoughts being I will probably be getting one of these cameras over the next few months and am primary interested in using it for mostly landscape and wildlife shooting. It seems like a tough choice to me, but maybe it is not.
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM   #40
Inactive Account

That's a nice shot KungPow.

BTW, this whole argument is moot. I think someone already pointed out that those pics were on a pre-production body with a pre-production sensor. Geez!
07-08-2009, 09:46 PM   #41
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by zeus Quote
I've been browsing around here the last few weeks and decided it was time to chime in being I think you have brought up the arena where I am stuck.

I use a 40D at work but don't own a DSLR of my own was ready to finally make a purchase before the end of the summer. Being I don't have any lens systems in my bag, I am free to start anew with which ever product manufacturer is offering me the most camera for around $1500 (I'll then dig deep and add quality lenses over time.)

I know we are talking about the T1i in this thread, but I am wondering how people feel the K-7 stacks up to the 50D as that is where I am currently looking as well (and it still comes in a few hundred cheaper with the 28-135 IS USM Kit lens.) It would seem like the more reasonable comparison.

Video is not a deal breaker to me, but built quality is very important being I live in a very cold environ. I was impressed right away with the K-7 specs (as far as weather sealing and cold tolerance) which is why I am particularly drawn to it right off the bat. I've spent the last few weeks digging through reviews, but am still awaiting a definitive final word on the K-7 from a reputable source with the production firmware.

Anyway, not trying to feed the troll with my first post - I'd just like to hear some thoughts being I will probably be getting one of these cameras over the next few months and am primary interested in using it for mostly landscape and wildlife shooting. It seems like a tough choice to me, but maybe it is not.

It's still early days for the K-7 but IMO, you hit the dealbreaker firmly on the head when you mentioned the weather sealing and cold tolerance. Those features have already been well proven with the K10D and K20D.
07-09-2009, 02:10 PM   #42
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zeus Quote

Every review I've read has heaped praise on the build quality of the K-7, as with the limited lens line. If you're in a cold clime, I think you've pretty much picked your winner. If you're not shooting birds flying straight for you ("He's headin' straight for us! SHOOT!") at fairly close range, the AF shouldn't be an issue. Of course, it won't matter how good your AF is if it won't shoot because it's too cold...
07-23-2009, 12:13 PM   #43
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amphysics Quote
I'd rather have a 10 million pixel K-7 with the High ISO performance compared with Nikon D3 than have a 14.6 million one with bad performance. That is why I want to buy a 500D
You must be joking. Do you have any idea how much noise you can remove with a good software without losing the HUGE amount of detail as the canon? Not to mention the ISO image test used is not a good one (it lack fine detail).
And in case you want to make big prints (the only reasons you'd ever want to noise peep considering today's image quality) I must inform you that certain amount of noise is FAR more preferable than a ridiculous detail smearing.
07-23-2009, 12:57 PM   #44
Veteran Member

What a load of miss information in here.

I can say that after using the K7, it is definitely a superior camera overall vs anything in the price range, yes it's noisy hi iso but cleans up well, the wb and exposure is better than the 50d's and af on par. To the point I have to go up to a 5d mk2 to get a camera that is noticeably better iq wise over all, the d300 and 50d are not improvements iq or shooting wise overall and the built in sr is that good!
07-24-2009, 06:34 AM   #45
Veteran Member

AF on par with a 50D? I'd love for that to be the case, but I very seriously doubt it. The 50D is blisteringly fast and dead accurate in AF-C mode when tracking.