Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 06:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

All-microprism focusing screen

Does such a thing exist? Would I even want one?

I'm thinking of changing my K10D's focusing screen. I know there's the Katz Eye, and the Chinese eBay ones...

I like the split-prism, but I don't like how it's stuck in the middle. I don't often use the center AF point. I know, I know, focus and recompose, but that's not as accurate, esp. at wide apertures.

I like the microprism, and I think I could manually focus pretty accurately with it, but it only covers the circular area around the center. Granted, the area is pretty big, but I may want to focus on something outside of that. (Again, yes, I can F&R, but I don't want that to be a necessity.)

I think an all-microprism focusing screen would be great. But do they exist? And would there be any drawbacks?

Thanks.

07-08-2009, 06:32 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
And would there be any drawbacks?
might affect metering in all modes.
07-08-2009, 06:34 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Unless they could overcome the light issue that causes the prism to go black at higher f-stops, you don't want one. Set your camera on manual and your lens on f8 or higher and you'll see what I'm talking about - the prism turns black.
07-08-2009, 08:36 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To the best of knowledge there are no screens that are all microprism.

You could always take the old fashioned approach. Focus on the object using the split-image/microprism and then frame. The limitation, of course, is that this technique does not lend itself well to fine focus of the off-center subject. The traditional alternative is a full ground-glass screen. Those allow for excellent fine focus control over the full viewfinder. Unfortunately, they are also dim.

Here is a resource for a wide range of focus screens that will fit your Pentax dSLR:

FocusingScreen.com

Steve

07-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
Unless they could overcome the light issue that causes the prism to go black at higher f-stops, you don't want one. Set your camera on manual and your lens on f8 or higher and you'll see what I'm talking about - the prism turns black.
the only problem w/ your point is - what if he has only bright (<= 2.8) A lenses ? why he should manually stop 'em down to f8 ?
07-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
the only problem w/ your point is - what if he has only bright (<= 2.8) A lenses ? why he should manually stop 'em down to f8 ?
Are you saying he'll never want to shoot say, F11, or use a manual lense?
07-10-2009, 07:33 AM   #7

The shooting aperture has nothing to do with the viewing aperture. You always view with the lens wide-open, and it steps down automatically for a fraction of a second before the shot is taken. All of framing, focusing and metering take place with the lens wide-open.

Particularly for prime lens shooters, it's irritating to suffer restrictions in place to support slow lenses. There are very few high end primes that are slower than f/2.8.

So count me in, I too would like an all-microprism screen.
07-10-2009, 09:03 AM   #8

Seems like an odd request. I guess there are times when it would be nice to see exactly what's in focus, but I'd think you'd be a lot less happy with it when you got it. Maybe I'm just totally picturing this wrong in my head, but if you used any kind of narrow depth of field, would you end up looking through a view finder that looked something like this:

I just have trouble thinking I'd want my whole viewfinder shimmering!

07-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ogiroux Quote
So count me in, I too would like an all-microprism screen.
still might screw the metering in all modes