Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 09:16 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Got my repair estimate on K100D!

Was having an issue with my pop up flash not charging. Issue was trigger sensor needs to be replaced and the estimate came back at $240! They wanted to know if I wanted them to go ahead and fix it. No thanks, please send it back is what I told them.

I'm now in the market for K20D and I am going to be sure to get the extended warranty.

What a shocker for a camera that I has less than 600 clicks.

07-08-2009, 09:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

That seems very high. Is it a flat rate? Olympus does that. Regardless of what is needed, there is a flat charge. I have been trying to decide if I should buy an extended warranty for my K200D refurb.
07-08-2009, 09:24 AM   #3

Original Poster
I think it is a flat rate of $200 +$40 for the part. Everywhere I looked the labor rate for a basic repair was $200, this place included, so I assume the extra $40 is for the parts.
07-08-2009, 09:25 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You didn't say, so I have to ask. This is from Pentax here in the US?

07-08-2009, 09:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
This is from one of the Pentax authorized repair centers that are listed on Pentax website. On the Pentax website for repairs they instruct you to select one of the closest ones to your location, which for me was in Duluth, GA (I'm in Tampa, FL).

Anyhow, I just said the heck with it and pulled the trigger on a K20D body given the recent price drops. I will sort the K100D out at a local shop in town that someone suggested to me. They will probably charge me $80 plus parts and I will have a nice backup body or use it to recoup some cash. As you can probably tell, I really wanted to go ahead and get the K20D and this was just the excuse I needed . Now, I have to work on the wife.

Last edited by 41ants; 07-08-2009 at 11:15 AM.
07-08-2009, 07:58 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
do you do a lot of flash photography? Otherwise keep it like that...
or there is always the opportunity to get one cheap AF 200FG.
07-09-2009, 07:32 AM   #7

Original Poster
This will be a spare body. Anyhow, I am psyched that my K20D will be here tomorrow and I found a relatively decent deal on a tamron 17-35 f/2.8, wich should follow shortly.
07-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
it's really not such a bad deal

I have held off commenting as my K10D was in at pentax for a shutter replacement. (I don't know what happened but it developed a problem with the trailing curtain hanging up on the leading curtain)

Anyway, I have a similar labor charge and it looks like a flat rate, BUT there are some things to consider.

my repair, or any repair, would take 1-2 hours, and even if it is 2 hours, the flat rate of $100 per hour is cheap, considering the special equipment they need to repair and test the cameras, plus the clean room environment they need for performing the repair. What is the hourly rate for your car to get fixed? probably the same.

also, and while I like to thing I take care of my cameras, after 3 years the K10D was dirty. there was dust in the view finder and on the external part of the body, and some dust probably on the sensor.

It came back spotless, looking like new, except for some wear on the strap eyelets, and hot shoe.

A good cleaning is about $75 all by itself.

best of all and this may be because pentax canada has their office close to me, so I can drive directly there to drop the camera off, they had the camera for exactly 10 days (to within the hour) this spanned a weekend and a mid week national holiday.

What's the down side? sending the camera out the same week the K7 was released tweaked my CBA. so between the K7 and the repair bill I won't be getting any new glass any time soon

07-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Don't waste the $ on fixing the popup, just buy a good external flash.