Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 05:27 AM   #166
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Question

For those experiencing the "green line problem": how prevalent is the line in a uncropped, well-exposed image printed at 8 x 10 or a size or two larger? I'm not talking about somethng shot in the dark at ISO3200, underexposed three stops and blown up 100%, but a properly exposed image of a reasonably well-illuminated subject.* In other words, do you have to pixel peek a bit to notice this thing, or does it pop out in any photo?

Believe me, I'm not trivializing the problem - only trying to understand its magnitude.

Jer

*Originally, I used the term "well-lit subject", but changed it, since I became concerned we would become inundated with images of willowy characters propped up by bar stools.

Last edited by Sailor; 07-19-2009 at 06:30 AM.
07-19-2009, 06:50 AM   #167
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, here's the link of a straight from the camera jpg with the line, it's well-illuminated. You are welcome to try printing as large as you like (the picture isn't good enough to bother with, so I'm not going to try). It was taken about 12 minutes after the line first appeared (after trying the movie mode), the camera had been turned off a couple of times between the movie mode and when I took this one. http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p477518957.jpg
07-19-2009, 07:44 AM   #168
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtngal Quote
Well, here's the link of a straight from the camera jpg with the line, it's well-illuminated. You are welcome to try printing as large as you like (the picture isn't good enough to bother with, so I'm not going to try). It was taken about 12 minutes after the line first appeared (after trying the movie mode), the camera had been turned off a couple of times between the movie mode and when I took this one. http://mtngal.zenfolio.com/img/v6/p477518957.jpg
Thanks, mtngal; exactly the kind of example I was looking for.

Jer
07-19-2009, 12:28 PM   #169
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
I am in conversation with Pentax Europe (the one in Hamburg) about the issue.

They have now issued a statement in their FAQ section, found here:
http://media.pentax.de/downloads/photo/de/17531/Fragen%20und%20Antworten.pdf
(it is the last question & answer, in German language)

For your conveniene, I provide my manual translation here:

I have asked Pentax Europe GmbH (W.Baus) to provide further clarification.
See now my problem is I did get he K7 more so for it's video abilities, I would love for it to shoot video for 2-3 hrs until the battery dies with out affecting still IQ. Now with this Pentax should have told us of the issue before, I would have still gotten the K7 as the AF improvements and others are justified, they could have self imposed a 5 min clip limit and auto live view off function once the sensor heats up before it hits it's over heat limit.

Then again I'm guessing they didn't anticipate this and it's Samsung to blame for the sensor, that in all rights should be able to heat up to 50c with out adverse effects.

07-19-2009, 12:42 PM   #170

Original Poster
Hang on, this isnt happening to everyones K7's so their statement is a cop-out. Torphoto you should go for another replacement... and again... and again... until they get a camera to you that stands up and performs as specified.
07-19-2009, 01:32 PM   #171
Site Supporter

Actually Pioneers...

...have the arrows sticking out of their chests. Arrows in the back are the result of running away!

Inner Schoolmarm Mode reset to /OFF/ Position

Sorry

QuoteOriginally posted by kitkat Quote
People who are willing to take the chance of buying early releases (aka v1.0) of anything are pioneers. How do you tell pioneers from the crowd - they're the ones with arrows sticking out of their backs! I would never, ever, buy the first model of anything anymore - I've been burnt too many times!
07-19-2009, 02:08 PM   #172

I have my K7 for 3 days now and I've got a case of the lines as well

I'm pretty bummed out. First thing I did was shoot some test shots. No lines with out LV but then after only 1 sec! of LV I got 2 nice lines. I've let it rest for a while between the tests and thankfully they seem to start to disappear. I can now use almost 1min of LV before they appear (ambient temp may have varied though).

what bothers me more though is that I'm seeing banding in my 720p videos too, not the green lines but wider bands even in good light...

going on vacation in a week and not sure whether I should stick with it or send it back.
07-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #173
Veteran Member

Exactly the same fault as I have with the K20D. Looks like there is a problem with the cmos sensor that pentax use. My K20D had to go back for a replacement.

07-19-2009, 02:48 PM   #174
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roof_top Quote
I have my K7 for 3 days now and I've got a case of the lines as well

I'm pretty bummed out. First thing I did was shoot some test shots. No lines with out LV but then after only 1 sec! of LV I got 2 nice lines. I've let it rest for a while between the tests and thankfully they seem to start to disappear. I can now use almost 1min of LV before they appear (ambient temp may have varied though).

what bothers me more though is that I'm seeing banding in my 720p videos too, not the green lines but wider bands even in good light...

going on vacation in a week and not sure whether I should stick with it or send it back.
Its your money and their problem, why should you live with it?

as the above advised, just keep changing till you get a good one or simply get your money back and wait till the issue is resolved before buying.
07-20-2009, 07:23 AM   #175
Veteran Member

Well I am sending one back, keeping this one since I NEED IT, for the current fashion season, there is something called warranty which I will use as soon as the season dies down and the K20D will serve in the studio.

At this point I have 2 K7's that give lines not just after live view but even after 500 shots in an Aircon 23c hall covering a fashion show.

The K20D would shoot 1500 frames even with live view with no effects, the K7 after 50 lines appear. I NEED a Cam that does not get lines after 50 shots. Thankfully for the runway stuff the line isn't that bothersome but the K7 currently is not even usable in studio as I simply can not depend on it not to produce those lines and there those images will be pixel peeped by clients who will notice it. So in about 2-3 months ( if not sooner ) I will send this one back as well but not play the amazon lottery but send to pentax to fix it out right, hopefully by then they will get the heat issue fixed.
07-20-2009, 08:40 AM   #176

I received my replacement K-7 today (#3384xxx c/w #3377xxx) and the problem is not apparent. I did an extended test on it and the dreaded green line didn't show. I'm cautiously optimistic
07-20-2009, 10:27 AM   #177
Veteran Member

I spoke to Pentax today to try and get the ball rolling, they said just send the 2nd one back to amazon for replacement AGAIN. the thing is after using it it's hard to go back to the K20D as the improvements in the rest of the camera are that good, the sensor just needs to catch up, also after shooting side by side with D90 and 40D's it is more than up to the task as it our AF'ed both ( tho the AFC tracking drops to 3-4 fps but nails the shots consistantly ) and exposed better than either BUT in the back of my mind I know there will be that green line in my image.
07-20-2009, 01:16 PM   #178

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
I spoke to Pentax today to try and get the ball rolling, they said just send the 2nd one back to amazon for replacement AGAIN. the thing is after using it it's hard to go back to the K20D as the improvements in the rest of the camera are that good, the sensor just needs to catch up, also after shooting side by side with D90 and 40D's it is more than up to the task as it our AF'ed both ( tho the AFC tracking drops to 3-4 fps but nails the shots consistantly ) and exposed better than either BUT in the back of my mind I know there will be that green line in my image.
I'd suggest you go ahead and send it back. If you've got a K20D backup (which I had too) then at least you can survive until the K-7 comes back again.
07-20-2009, 01:53 PM   #179
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chirpy Quote
I'd suggest you go ahead and send it back. If you've got a K20D backup (which I had too) then at least you can survive until the K-7 comes back again.
As I said I really like the AF improvements and the WB, if the camera lasts through the season and the line doesn't get out of hand then it will go to Pentax for a sensor replacement. Either that or go for the refund and get a 60-250 instead

also on another note, I wonder if the noise on the new sensor is due to more heat, looks like if they fix this the next series of this sensor will keep the iq but with lesss noise and run video all day long with out issues, just a hope but as it is this is all they really need to fix on this camera. We just need a sensor that can handle the heat better

Last edited by Torphoto; 07-20-2009 at 02:10 PM.
07-20-2009, 03:01 PM   #180
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by chirpy Quote
I received my replacement K-7 today (#3384xxx c/w #3377xxx) and the problem is not apparent. I did an extended test on it and the dreaded green line didn't show. I'm cautiously optimistic
I don't know if the serial number is a good indication. Mine is also 3377xxx and I've been unable to see the dreaded green line, even after long video or live view tests.