Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2009, 08:02 AM   #196
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidt Quote
I'm happy when it only appears due to too much heat and goes away afterwards but that's hard to avoid in such a climate. The K10d didn't make any problems yet - even when it was so hot that my sweat started condensating *behind* the LCD glass. And avoiding the movie mode was not my plan - that's the main feature I became an early adopter.

Thanks - anyway I will contact the dealer.

Here are the sample images (ISO3200):
* First try with line pattern, overheated sensor: http://img.skitch.com/20090725-fa843ny15mt12tbkxcx4d1fb43.jpg
* Couple of hours later, same scene but now the lines are gone: http://img.skitch.com/20090725-xkbj49eckjqagpc6gdy9t34n32.jpg
in my case due to what I shoot the line will appear after 20-30 shots, then turn into several lines etc, the K20D never had a complaint after 1 yr in this with 2000 shots a weekend.

07-26-2009, 04:24 AM   #197
Veteran Member

I hope Pentax can fix this with a firmware update
07-26-2009, 10:31 AM   #198
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I hope Pentax can fix this with a firmware update
Me to Ben, I hope either a firmware fix or a k7n
07-27-2009, 03:11 PM   #199
Veteran Member

An overheating sensor is not something that should be fixed by a firmware patch. It should be fixed with a sensor that doesn't overheat after taking 20 photos.

Why was the camera released to the public with such a big, clear fault. Did none of the beta testers take more than 20 photos in a row or use liveview?

C'mon Pentax, you can do better than that

07-27-2009, 03:22 PM   #200

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
I hope either a firmware fix or a k7n
A K7n would be a bit of a "f*ck you" to early adopters at this point, wouldn't it now.

A recall of faulty units (which seems to have happened behind the curtains with a lot of early stock, if rumours are to be believed) and a replacement would be more appreciated. But I don't really see that happening.

I'm slightly worried, as my K7 is one of the first batch but has not reached me yet, as it is being brought to me from the USA by a friend. It means if I get the sensor heat issue it's no returns for me, but straight to a Pentax international service centre.
07-27-2009, 03:25 PM   #201
Veteran Member

Can you guys that get the grren line pull out the sensor temp from the exif and post it up.
As stated before, i ran liveview for an hour and then took pics and never got any green line. BUT it is winter here and the pic temp shows 32º C after all that liveview.

mike
07-27-2009, 03:31 PM   #202
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Samsungian Quote
in USA Amazon.Com are now the company that fills Pentax USA Dealer's orders. Most Pentax Dealers now go through Amazon as the camera shop owners no longer have a direct connection to Pentax USA...
If that is the case, I wonder why Amazon have had no 40 or 70 Limiteds in stock for quite some time now.
It might add credence to my theory that the recent price increases have been due to a lack of lenses being manufactured due to switching production facilities or some other reason.

07-27-2009, 03:45 PM   #203
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Can you guys that get the grren line pull out the sensor temp from the exif and post it up.
As stated before, i ran liveview for an hour and then took pics and never got any green line. BUT it is winter here and the pic temp shows 32º C after all that liveview.

mike
Mike,

Your body might not have the same version of the component causing the GLS (my acronym for the green line syndrome). I am wondering if it is not the sensor but maybe the new image processor chip used in the K7.

I would say if you don't see it and the body is heating to 32º C then you might have a newer build. It's not uncommon for devices to change a component to solve a problem. Maybe Pentax actually has figured it out but before formally announcing they have a fix they want to wait and see what users report as the changed build bodies hit the shelves and into the grubby paws of us users.

What are like the first 3-4 numbers on your serial number. Some have been trying to track the situation via serial number to see if there is a place where none of the bodies with a serial number above a certain point have the problem. It might also help if you confirm your firmware is v1.0.0 as Pentax might also have slipped a new firmware into the more recent units.

But, hey I would say if you cannot induce it after an hour of Live View, and cannot cause it after using movie mode for a good 30 mins then it's a pretty safe bet, yours is not gonna have the problem.
07-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #204
Veteran Member

With not having read the whole thread, I have not seen a problem with mine. Of course I have not used live view or the movie mode, but I have shot some 1500 images so far...Well, I guess today I will see...
07-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #205
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If that is the case, I wonder why Amazon have had no 40 or 70 Limiteds in stock for quite some time now.
It might add credence to my theory that the recent price increases have been due to a lack of lenses being manufactured due to switching production facilities or some other reason.
That sure would be nice...but, I am the cynic here because of the whole Hoya filter pricing fiasco a while back. Where they are basically trying to circumvent that price fixing is not legal in most, if not all states in the US, by requiring a Minimum Advertised Price instead.

I feel supported in this belief because if you notice almost every seller of Pentax gear, including Amazon, who is selling at a lower price does not display the price until the thing is in your shopping cart. And that is the retailer's way around the MAP thing...but as ya know I am new to actually paying attention to how Pentax managed what their retailers could and could not do...

The nice thing if this is true is Maryland recently passed a law that makes even the MAP policies illegal, and they included online retailers in the law. Apparently there are 20-30 other states with the similar laws in legislation as we type...there are already federal laws to address the whole price fixing issue but still there are loopholes. Eh, who knows...

It could also be a combination of the relocation of factories and the MAP thing hitting in very close proximity time line wise.
07-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #206
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
With not having read the whole thread, I have not seen a problem with mine. Of course I have not used live view or the movie mode, but I have shot some 1500 images so far...Well, I guess today I will see...
hahaha...well, duuuuhhhh!! And I mean that in the most silly way possible...get out there and stress the crap outta your K7, it's warm-ish in SoCal right now so that helps too!!
07-27-2009, 03:58 PM   #207
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
That sure would be nice...but, I am the cynic here because of the whole Hoya filter pricing fiasco a while back. Where they are basically trying to circumvent that price fixing is not legal in most, if not all states in the US, by requiring a Minimum Advertised Price instead.

I feel supported in this belief because if you notice almost every seller of Pentax gear, including Amazon, who is selling at a lower price does not display the price until the thing is in your shopping cart. And that is the retailer's way around the MAP thing...but as ya know I am new to actually paying attention to how Pentax managed what their retailers could and could not do...

The nice thing if this is true is Maryland recently passed a law that makes even the MAP policies illegal, and they included online retailers in the law. Apparently there are 20-30 other states with the similar laws in legislation as we type...there are already federal laws to address the whole price fixing issue but still there are loopholes. Eh, who knows...

It could also be a combination of the relocation of factories and the MAP thing hitting in very close proximity time line wise.

It would be nice if all states adopted a MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) policy. But of course that would be beneficial to consumers (the people who vote) wouldn't it, so I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.
07-27-2009, 04:04 PM   #208
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It would be nice if all states adopted a MSRP (Manufacturers Suggested Retail Price) policy. But of course that would be beneficial to consumers (the people who vote) wouldn't it, so I don't expect it to happen anytime soon.
hahahahaha...I hear ya bruddah...I hear ya big time....I think it is coming but probably at the cost of an internet sales tax, which btw, is going to happen soon....so they give with one hand and stick the knife in a bit deeper with the other.
07-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #209
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
hahahahaha...I hear ya bruddah...I hear ya big time....I think it is coming but probably at the cost of an internet sales tax, which btw, is going to happen soon....so they give with one hand and stick the knife in a bit deeper with the other.
I know people have an allergic reaction when it comes to the word 'taxes' but a lot of states could do with that extra revenue.
It would also help level the playing field for B&M stores although, in the case of camera stores, it's probably too late.
It would also possibly help bring prices down across the board.
07-27-2009, 04:17 PM   #210
Urs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote

mike
I get the green line when the temp goes over 35C, and it goes away again as soon as temp gets below that point.