Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-27-2009, 04:26 PM   #211
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I know people have an allergic reaction when it comes to the word 'taxes' but a lot of states could do with that extra revenue.
It would also help level the playing field for B&M stores although, in the case of camera stores, it's probably too late.
It would also possibly help bring prices down across the board.
no, I agree completely. States are losing a TON of income and as you are well familiar with being in the Bay Area, right now it's the reason here in CA so many cities are pretty much at a 10% sales tax. I am not one who feels taxes are bad, however we need to re-assess the whole system to not only reduce the complexity but also the overhead of the tax collection system.

But, I don't think we should take this thread off in that direction...anyway, it's one of those things that goes nowhere really when everything is said and done. But we need them to keep the place running.

07-27-2009, 04:36 PM   #212
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Brecklundin, I see your reasoning and will post up the serial number when I am home from work (i do not have the camera here). I think the firmware is 1.0.0 but will confirm. BTW, I preordered and got one from the first shipment.

IMO it is worth tracking the serial numbers and temperatures. It could be affecting all cameras.... if they get hot enough.

mike
07-27-2009, 04:42 PM   #213
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
An overheating sensor is not something that should be fixed by a firmware patch. It should be fixed with a sensor that doesn't overheat after taking 20 photos.
I fully agree. A firmware update could mask the symptoms but not cure the problem. While the loss in resolution would be acceptable to some, nowadays one should expect a sensor to not require being patched up like this.

I guess Pentax/Samsung knew that they would encounter some problems but perhaps delaying the delivery of the K-7 would have cost more than dealing with the returns now. Apparently there are bodies out there which do not have the problem so all is not lost.
07-28-2009, 12:18 AM   #214
Veteran Member

Serial number = 33780xx FW=1.00.
After 1hr liveview problem did NOT occur. Sensor temp was 32deg C.
Mind you, it is winter here. In Summer the ambient air temp will be 32.

mike

07-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #215
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Serial number = 33780xx FW=1.00.
After 1hr liveview problem did NOT occur. Sensor temp was 32deg C.
Mind you, it is winter here. In Summer the ambient air temp will be 32.

mike
great...but what about movie mode? have you shot in movie mode then tried taking standard shots? You serial number is in the grey area serial number wise. From reading most with serial numbers after 338xxxx seem issue free, but yours is very close to that so hard to infer much from the number. If you have a blow dryer you can always use that to stress test the camera under warmer conditions.
07-28-2009, 01:38 PM   #216
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I fully agree. A firmware update could mask the symptoms but not cure the problem. While the loss in resolution would be acceptable to some, nowadays one should expect a sensor to not require being patched up like this.

I guess Pentax/Samsung knew that they would encounter some problems but perhaps delaying the delivery of the K-7 would have cost more than dealing with the returns now. Apparently there are bodies out there which do not have the problem so all is not lost.
Not being too familiar with the engineering behind these things I have a question. What if the firmware had a routine which was actually calling on a particular component too much causing it to overheat?...this could induce circuit wide noise which could affect the image processor and/or the image sensor, yes? Also are can't the firmware control clock cycles or voltages used by a components, you know just like in overclocking a CPU? So, it could actually be a firmware issue that could cause overheating of a component that again can be a direct or indirect reason the for the 'green line'. I have read a few comments that the FW for the K7 might have been a bit rushed in order to not miss the release date. So, it would seem one of the two scenarios I mentioned could be the actual cause...though if newer production models are running the same firmware then, oops! It's a hardware issue or HoyaTax failed to actually indicate the firmware changed.
07-28-2009, 01:48 PM   #217
Veteran Member

In all honesty, yesterday I purposely beat the tar out of my K-7 to see if this problem would come and it never did..I guess I am fortunate..

07-28-2009, 02:23 PM   #218
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
great...but what about movie mode? have you shot in movie mode then tried taking standard shots? You serial number is in the grey area serial number wise. From reading most with serial numbers after 338xxxx seem issue free, but yours is very close to that so hard to infer much from the number. If you have a blow dryer you can always use that to stress test the camera under warmer conditions.
I have taken pics after movies but only ever after a few mins of movie. I will try with 20-30mins of movie tonight. I won't be putting a blow drier on it just because i don't want to mess it up. IMO this could void any warranty because it is not 'used as intended'. However I do need to find a way to test it at Aussie summer temps.

I will be using movie mode (and stills) in summer so this issue is of great interest to me. I guess i can either :
a) figure out a way to test it now
b) wait till till summer and hope that i don't have the issue or that pentax has it sorted out.

mike
07-28-2009, 06:31 PM   #219

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
In all honesty, yesterday I purposely beat the tar out of my K-7 to see if this problem would come and it never did..I guess I am fortunate..
Same here.

I have used live view and movie mode a fair bit and have no lines at 36°C that I can see.

My serial # 3379***

Richard
07-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #220
Forum Member

I'm wondering if everyone who tested and doesn't get the line(s) really waited until the temperature warning sign appears?

Serial# 3381xxx
Sensor temperature with lines appearing: 42°C
Sensor temperature without line patterns: 33°C

EDIT: I would advise everybody to heat the camera with the movie mode instead of live view which is not as resource-hungry..

Last edited by davidt; 07-28-2009 at 10:34 PM.
07-29-2009, 03:54 AM   #221
Veteran Member

Firmware 1.01 is out.

Can anybody who is able to beat his K-7 camera to 40°C and produce the line artifact please test if the fw brought any change with regard to this topic?

Officially, this problem wasn't addressed in the update. Also, pentax.de didn't change their FAQ text (they changed it a couple of days ago to make it more generic).
07-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #222

The update didn't change the issue with the vertical lines, they are still there. At least for me.
07-29-2009, 07:53 AM   #223
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sodnik Quote
The update didn't change the issue with the vertical lines, they are still there. At least for me.
Same for me with FW 1.0.1.

I have done some more tests on different temperatures:
39°C - strong lines
36°C - medium lines
33°C - no lines
07-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #224
Veteran Member

It just dawned on me that this 36C-43C temp range when the lines begin showing are only in the 97F-109F....where I am headed this summer for a few weeks that will be the average temp range as it is...about now I am thrilled I waited on the K7. I will often be in such temps when shooting and if that is an issue for this camera I will, unfortunately, be forced to go back to Canon, and that SUCKS....but I visit and spend a lot of time with friends in California's San Joaquin Valley where it is nothing to have 20 consecutive days of 105F-115F temps...and it will still be 100F at midnight.
07-29-2009, 08:59 AM   #225
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
It just dawned on me that this 36C-43C temp range when the lines begin showing are only in the 97F-109F....where I am headed this summer for a few weeks that will be the average temp range as it is...about now I am thrilled I waited on the K7. I will often be in such temps when shooting and if that is an issue for this camera I will, unfortunately, be forced to go back to Canon, and that SUCKS....but I visit and spend a lot of time with friends in California's San Joaquin Valley where it is nothing to have 20 consecutive days of 105F-115F temps...and it will still be 100F at midnight.
Now you know how I feel, with the ambient temps here already to 32-33c and a can naturally heating lets say 5-7c above ambient in normal no lv no movie mode use, line city for me.