Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 09:03 AM   #226
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Torphoto Quote
Now you know how I feel, with the ambient temps here already to 32-33c and a can naturally heating lets say 5-7c above ambient in normal no lv no movie mode use, line city for me.
I also start wishing being back in good cold europe.

07-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #227
Urs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sodnik Quote
The update didn't change the issue with the vertical lines, they are still there. At least for me.
Yes same here updated and tested lines still start to appear at around 35°C.

Will head out to the Beach tomorrow if weather permits and see how it goes there. Average ambient temp here in Panama in July is around 30C / 85F.

Wonder if anybody did test the cam over 35C and did not get the line?
07-29-2009, 09:11 AM   #228
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Now you know how I feel, with the ambient temps here already to 32-33c and a can naturally heating lets say 5-7c above ambient in normal no lv no movie mode use, line city for me.
You got that right...I don't know why I didn't make the connection because I can still convert temps in my head pretty quickly...maybe I just don't make a connection with the fact cameras have lower operating temp ranges as it is, though I never had any probs in 120F weather with my 40D but then again it was for very brief times outdoors no more than 60 mins, then toss what really has to be a heat related issue and...d'oh!!

I need to go away now...I'm bummed...I already knew I would be using the K20D on my next visit but, I had hoped the visit after than would be with the K7. I now know I am not going to buy anymore lenses until I know what the happens with the K7.

Hey, what about evaporative cooling of the body using wet burlap placed on top of the camera while using it? hehehehe...grasping at straws...that's me most days.

I know they will fix it somehow but dang it!!
07-29-2009, 09:16 AM   #229
Forum Member

I'm wondering how much of the heat is due to the extended battery usage during movie recording. I you have a battery grip and set battery priority for that one probably it doesn't heat up so fast?

07-29-2009, 09:24 AM   #230
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by davidt Quote
I'm wondering how much of the heat is due to the extended battery usage during movie recording. I you have a battery grip and set battery priority for that one probably it doesn't heat up so fast?
That might be a possibility, but I no longer have a k7 to try that with, I did notice the battery getting warm, while this is normal it could heat up the sensor more than in the k20D as the camera is smaller.
07-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #231

I just got mine up to 42°C and I still can't see any lines. My previous high temp was 36°C with no lines.

I'm looking for a straight green line correct?

Serial # 3379*** FW ver 1.00

Richard
07-29-2009, 12:50 PM   #232
Urs
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Nechako Quote
I just got mine up to 42°C and I still can't see any lines. My previous high temp was 36°C with no lines.

Richard

Yes here is how it looks in mine, 100% crop, this one at 37C, faint green line in my case almost in the middle of the image, better seen over dark background and at 100%.

Attachment 39956

Last edited by Urs; 09-09-2016 at 02:03 PM.
07-29-2009, 02:34 PM   #233
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Urs Quote
Yes here is how it looks in mine, 100% crop, this one at 37C, faint green line in my case almost in the middle of the image, better seen over dark background and at 100%.

Attachment 39956
yup thats what I was getting. whats you ser#, all mine were 3377xxx, 3378xxx, 3379xxx , so far it looks like 338xxxx and higher don't have this issue ( so far )
07-29-2009, 02:40 PM   #234
Urs
Pentaxian

yup thats what I was getting. whats you ser#, all mine were 3377xxx, 3378xxx, 3379xxx , so far it looks like 338xxxx and higher don't have this issue ( so far )
My serial # is 3378xxx
07-29-2009, 02:43 PM   #235
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Firmware 1.01 is out.

Can anybody who is able to beat his K-7 camera to 40°C and produce the line artifact please test if the fw brought any change with regard to this topic?

Officially, this problem wasn't addressed in the update. Also, pentax.de didn't change their FAQ text (they changed it a couple of days ago to make it more generic).
QuoteOriginally posted by sodnik Quote
The update didn't change the issue with the vertical lines, they are still there. At least for me.
Yesterday I was talking to the local Pentax dealer about the green lin eissue and he said that was a known problem and that this FW update would address that and other matters
Well it seems he was wrong or misinformed. He didn't show me the Internal Newsletter to read though

Rui
07-29-2009, 03:29 PM   #236
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nechako Quote
Richard, can you please upload a RAW (at 42°C)? (e.g., via file-upload.eu) It would be promising to have a clear evidence of units not having the issue at this temp.
07-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #237
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Richard, can you please upload a RAW (at 42°C)? (e.g., via file-upload.eu) It would be promising to have a clear evidence of units not having the issue at this temp.
Hi Falk,

I know you might not have this info but from your question can we infer that Pentax has not been able to pull units from the current production line that do not exhibit the green line syndrome? Or maybe they are getting inconsistent results pulling and testing units?

(...I just like calling is something fancy...GLS for short... )
07-29-2009, 04:21 PM   #238
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
can we infer that Pentax
No, you cannot.

I (and many others) informed Pentax about the issue and to the best of my knowledge, they are sorting it out in Japan w/o further external help now. I have been asked to await the outcoming like everybody else Nevertheless, I made sure they know that the recent fw update didn't bring change.

So, my question was to fuel my own curiosity only :ugh:
07-29-2009, 05:04 PM   #239

I'll have to take one in raw, I'll try for a dark background too.

Richard
07-29-2009, 05:39 PM   #240

I could only get it up to 38°C as it is cooler outside. Is that hot enough?

What iso did you want? I have 100 to 3200 in raw on a plain background.

I took a quick look at some of them and didn't notice anything.

Richard