Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 08:44 PM   #16
Igilligan

Not really Gary

QuoteOriginally posted by GaryM Quote
Here's a prediction for you: Pentax will outlast Ritz.
Gary... I have to tell you, Pentax did not outlast Ritz!

Pentax was sold to Hoya before Ritz went out of business...

Now if you are counting someone else using the name Pentax... then Ritz still has a chance there too...

I noticed the other day the 'out of business' Circuit City online operation, has been bought for use by an internet company, so you can order things from "Circuit City" again!

07-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #17

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Okay. So is it fair to assume that if liveview is not used at all (before the shots) then the stripe will not appear in any ISO and any shutter speeds combination?
Correct. (i went through my pre-liveview/video shots and couldnt find this phenomenom)
Atleast that seems to be the case at the moment... Doesnt say much for the sensor performance under a heavy work load though... And might render video/liveview capabilities useless, if we cant get a clean image out of the camera after using those features for more than a few minutes.
But hey, it could just be mine (really hoping it is) which is why we need other K7 owners to run this test.

P.s. Could we please keep this on topic, with tests, and not go the 'pentax is dead' route

Last edited by bentax; 07-08-2009 at 09:01 PM.
07-08-2009, 09:13 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
yeah, durn it, I'm seeing this too (100% crops)

I don't think I was stressing the camera ... live view for perhaps a bit, but certainly not movie mode.

Today I took some more shots -- no line at all for the first bunch, and then it shows up again.

Take it back?
07-08-2009, 09:28 PM   #19
Veteran Member

and come to think of it, the lines happen after I'd tried live view, for maybe 15 seconds.

07-08-2009, 09:40 PM   #20

Original Poster
Uh oh. Really looking forward to some more testers outcomes.
Not much point taking it back for a swap just yet if they are all doing it.
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
and come to think of it, the lines happen after I'd tried live view, for maybe 15 seconds.
I would...no reason for that issue to exist. Now ever and especially nit when ya paid full boat MSRP for the thing in order to help support the company.

Is this a case of some component overheating? I wonder if by making the body so compact the air flow is significantly different. I would love to read about someone living in like Fresno, Mojave, Palm Springs or some back-country dust farm in Australia (wait it's not summer down south...so it's not warm, right?) but someone somewhere hot taking the thing out for a shoot in the hot sun for a few hours. OK, someone living in the Midwest or, even better a hot muggy summer day shooting in the beach in Florida or the , Texas the Gulf of Mexico...just somewhere HOT...an oven should to as well!! hehehe...JUST JOKING ABOUT THE OVEN DON'T TRY IT...

I have to admit I never considered cooling as an issue for a DSLR. I guess it is just another electronic device and needs proper airflow as much as any other such device.
07-09-2009, 12:31 AM   #22
Forum Member

done few tests here with my k7 (aussie stock) and can't reproduce it
had liveview on for ~20min before doing tests shots at different iso levels and non shown this issue.

07-09-2009, 12:44 AM   #23

try my K-7 today and report here
Some tips for testing ?

P.S. RH updated his BLOG with this problem

Last edited by Vaikis_; 07-09-2009 at 12:51 AM.
07-09-2009, 01:48 AM   #24

Original Poster
Alright Ive been messing around with it for about 2 hrs now, different lighting, different settings, liveview and video on/off, and have not been able to replicate the line.

Soooo... beats me.

Edit: Just did a whole slew of 20+ sec exposures using liveview and the line still wont show again.
Hmm..

Now i dont know whether to even take it back.

Hopefully yours snaps out of it too aaib.

Last edited by bentax; 07-09-2009 at 02:21 AM.
07-09-2009, 02:40 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Needs a bit of time to "run-in" ?
Fairly common characteristic with mechanical gear or even analog electronics, but digital circuits are normally a lot more predictable - if its OK, its stays OK, if its bad , it stays bad.

Last edited by kittykat46; 07-09-2009 at 02:53 AM.
07-09-2009, 02:53 AM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Now if you are counting someone else using the name Pentax... then Ritz still has a chance there too...
If I've read this correctly, they just lost their chance. Ritz Camera Files Auction Plans for 400 Stores with Bankruptcy Court
07-09-2009, 02:54 AM   #27

Original Poster
Thatd be nice.
If its not wanting to show the line with the session its just been through then thats good enough for me... its not like ill even use Liveview and video much... assuming that was the cause. I will just keep an eye on it... better not ruin the upcoming wedding shoot!

Although the tests did pull up some hot pixels, one run through the pixel mapper and thats all sorted!
07-09-2009, 03:08 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Maybe this is an issue not happening with all production cameras? Like the K20D Vertical banding issues (in low temps) not every K20D suffers from that. One might get lucky with the sensor roulette!
07-09-2009, 05:04 AM   #29
Veteran Member

I know this sounds lame but if the stripe is really caused by using liveview, the sure trick to not ever see the stripe again is not to use liveview.
07-09-2009, 05:14 AM   #30

Original Poster
Thats what i was getting at earlier when i said the liveview and video mode becomes useless. But, does it mean the sensor is weak... Whens that gonna stripe-out full-time...?

Perthanian ay. Rocko here.