Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 03:10 AM   #286
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
I love the camera but I am taking it BACK............to the Pentax distributor here in Melbourne, show them the problem I am having. It takes photos fine in general however video mode is another story with lines appearing in dark scenes, most noticeably is a thin vertical line thats usually purple on the left hand side, i'm also noticing a finer darker line more to the right of centre, want to get it swapped over for another.

08-03-2009, 03:25 AM   #287
Forum Member
davidt's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Vienna
Posts: 50
QuoteOriginally posted by neofito Quote
When the temperature reaches 27C, the photos start to show the defect as the two crops below demonstrate:
....
For info, the serial number of my K7 starts with 338XXXX.
Huhh, 27C and you get the issue - that's really early! Would you mind posting the 4th digit of your serial# 338Xxxx
08-03-2009, 03:31 AM   #288
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
My serial no. 3378146
08-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #289
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by davidt Quote
Huhh, 27C and you get the issue - that's really early! Would you mind posting the 4th digit of your serial# 338Xxxx
My K7's SN starts with 3380.

08-04-2009, 12:10 AM   #290
Inactive Account




Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 5
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
I love the camera but I am taking it BACK............to the Pentax distributor here in Melbourne, show them the problem I am having. It takes photos fine in general however video mode is another story with lines appearing in dark scenes, most noticeably is a thin vertical line thats usually purple on the left hand side, i'm also noticing a finer darker line more to the right of centre, want to get it swapped over for another.
Did you actually go to Pentax Australia? What did they say?
08-04-2009, 01:45 AM   #291
Veteran Member
Christopher M.W.T's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Geelong, Victoria, Australia
Posts: 1,689
QuoteOriginally posted by neofito Quote
Did you actually go to Pentax Australia? What did they say?
Take it in.

I spoke with a techie on the phone yesterday, he seemed to give me mixed messages, seemed to be indicating there MAY be some issue with some batch of sensors etc, it was really hard as he seemed to be very careful in his wording.

Either way I'll find out on Tuesday the 11th when I go in.
08-04-2009, 07:28 AM   #292
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I am at 33780xx and can't replicate the issue.

I have tried live view for an hour. NO green line but sensor only got to 32deg C. NO temp warning.

Just then I tried video mode until i got temp warning (took approx 15mins) and still got NO green line in stills. Sensor still only got to 33deg C.

So what we know..... video heats it up more than live view. Appears that temp warning comes on at 33deg C.

I have to test mine in higher temps.

mike
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I just inspected the RAW files again, all files were between 42 and 44deg C. At various ISOs.

NO GREEN LINE.

If your email accepts 20Mb attachments, let me know and I'll mail you some files if you wish to double check them.

Even in summer.... don't know if I will ever get the camera that hot.

cheers
mike
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
My serial no. 3378146
You guys have very close serial numbers to mine 337818x - purchased from DCW from very first batch. I checked photome camera info says manufacture date is June, 15, 2009 and so far taken over 1000 photos mainly in RAW and haven't see the Green line as yet ( a few movies taken etc). Most of my photos report between 33-38C temps with highest I've seen around 42C.
08-04-2009, 02:46 PM   #293
Veteran Member
schmik's Avatar

Join Date: May 2008
Location: Sydney Aus
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 527
I don't know if this is serial number (batch) based. Seems pretty random. If you read the whole thread it seems that there are only a handful of cameras that have the problem. Storm in a teacup!

mike

08-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #294
Veteran Member
Miserere's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Boston
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,994
Anybody with the green line updated their firmware? Has it solved anything?
08-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #295
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by Miserere Quote
Has it solved anything?
No. Please go back about 100 posts to read more about this.
08-05-2009, 04:52 PM   #296
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
K-7 delivery has been stopped?

According to some dealer in Germany, delivery of K-7 to Pentax Germany (i.e., to all German dealers) has been stopped at the end of July. The interrupt of delivery is expected to stay in effect for about two weeks.

It is pure speculation to think that the interrupted delivery and the green line artifact are correlated. Nothing is known in this direction.
08-05-2009, 05:00 PM   #297
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
Doesn't most of Europe go on vacation for August? Maybe they aren't shipping because there will be no one to sign for it ;-)
08-05-2009, 08:19 PM   #298
Junior Member




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Portland, OR
Photos: Albums
Posts: 25
QuoteOriginally posted by Olivier Quote
The camera is going back to Amazon. Let's hope the replacement works better. I would really hate going back to my K100D after having used the K-7
Got a replacement camera from Amazon and did some testing: The old camera was starting to show green lines at 31C and the new one starts doing that at 38C. This was measured by putting the cameras in a warm place for some time and then taking pictures while they slowly cool down.

I also tried Live View: The old one would start showing green lines after a couple minutes of LV, starting at 25C, while the new one lasts 12 minutes, starting at 23C (it ended at 28C). The difference between the LV and ambient temperature experiments seem to indicate that the temperature sensor and the image sensor are not in the same spot.

To be sure that the temperature readings were accurate I left both cameras in the same environment (temperature) for a while and then took some pictures. The reported temperatures were within a degree or less and matched my expectations, so it looks like the temperature sensors are accurate.

It is interesting to note that the green lines are in the exact same spot in both cameras. At higher temperatures two additional lines show up, also in the same spots in both cameras. This points to a design (HW and/or SW) issue, not random sensor defects.

Seeing picture quality degrade starting at 38C for a camera that is supposed to operate correctly in a 40C environment is a bit disappointing, but not necessarily a showstopper. Unless some other major issue crops up I plan to keep the new camera.
08-05-2009, 08:38 PM   #299
Veteran Member
Torphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trinidad W.I.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 620
QuoteOriginally posted by Olivier Quote
Got a replacement camera from Amazon and did some testing: The old camera was starting to show green lines at 31C and the new one starts doing that at 38C. This was measured by putting the cameras in a warm place for some time and then taking pictures while they slowly cool down.

I also tried Live View: The old one would start showing green lines after a couple minutes of LV, starting at 25C, while the new one lasts 12 minutes, starting at 23C (it ended at 28C). The difference between the LV and ambient temperature experiments seem to indicate that the temperature sensor and the image sensor are not in the same spot.

To be sure that the temperature readings were accurate I left both cameras in the same environment (temperature) for a while and then took some pictures. The reported temperatures were within a degree or less and matched my expectations, so it looks like the temperature sensors are accurate.

It is interesting to note that the green lines are in the exact same spot in both cameras. At higher temperatures two additional lines show up, also in the same spots in both cameras. This points to a design (HW and/or SW) issue, not random sensor defects.

Seeing picture quality degrade starting at 38C for a camera that is supposed to operate correctly in a 40C environment is a bit disappointing, but not necessarily a showstopper. Unless some other major issue crops up I plan to keep the new camera.
Actually this is a noticeable improvement and hopefully more improvements will follow as things progress.
08-05-2009, 09:32 PM   #300
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
QuoteOriginally posted by Olivier Quote
Got a replacement camera from Amazon and did some testing: The old camera was starting to show green lines at 31C and the new one starts doing that at 38C. This was measured by putting the cameras in a warm place for some time and then taking pictures while they slowly cool down.

I also tried Live View: The old one would start showing green lines after a couple minutes of LV, starting at 25C, while the new one lasts 12 minutes, starting at 23C (it ended at 28C). The difference between the LV and ambient temperature experiments seem to indicate that the temperature sensor and the image sensor are not in the same spot.

To be sure that the temperature readings were accurate I left both cameras in the same environment (temperature) for a while and then took some pictures. The reported temperatures were within a degree or less and matched my expectations, so it looks like the temperature sensors are accurate.

It is interesting to note that the green lines are in the exact same spot in both cameras. At higher temperatures two additional lines show up, also in the same spots in both cameras. This points to a design (HW and/or SW) issue, not random sensor defects.

Seeing picture quality degrade starting at 38C for a camera that is supposed to operate correctly in a 40C environment is a bit disappointing, but not necessarily a showstopper. Unless some other major issue crops up I plan to keep the new camera.
Great info, thanks for the effort!! But really somewhat, no quite disappointing to me. Not many devices publish their absolute tolerances but rather leave significant (5%-20% is not unusual) leeway. While the published Pentax operating max temp is in-line with other DSLR's on the market at the upper end...I never had a problem with other brands in 105F weather...clearly a not insignificant possibility exists that the K7 could fail under the same conditions given the current informal test results posted here. But best to reserve final judgement until we hear back from HoyaTax.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, dslr, iso, k7, line, photography, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony outsources some sensor production to Fujitsu deadwolfbones Pentax News and Rumors 10 10-02-2010 03:24 PM
Samsung's new BSI (backside illumination) CMOS sensor will be in production by 2010 yakiniku Pentax News and Rumors 7 10-15-2009 09:34 PM
HELP!!Busted my DA* 16-50 pentaxpaul Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-02-2009 10:21 AM
Busted! pingflood Post Your Photos! 7 01-03-2009 09:57 PM
ZX-10 Busted? ericc Pentax Film SLR Discussion 1 12-01-2006 11:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:27 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top