Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-30-2009, 09:13 PM   #376
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Also, the upper operating temp is stated a 40C. I'm sure this means the ambient temp not the camera temp. On a 40C day the K7 will likely suffer the green line in regular shooting. Liveview and movie mode! forget it!

You can' specify a temp range and then deliver a camera that does not meet it (ALL features included).

@Pentax, some of us live in place where a 40C day happens!

mike

08-30-2009, 09:57 PM   #377
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I find it interesting that people who do not even own a K-7 seem to be the most upset.
08-30-2009, 10:29 PM   #378
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
I find it interesting that people who do not even own a K-7 seem to be the most upset.
They are upset because they can't buy K-7 because of this damn line
08-30-2009, 10:32 PM   #379
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Edvinas Quote
Yep, could be.

08-31-2009, 05:41 AM   #380
Banned

Find the line.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-31-2009 at 03:23 PM. Reason: added imgwide tags
08-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #381
Veteran Member

Close, I am more excited than upset, I was planning to get K7 after price drops around a grand, now I am curious about Pentax will come up a fix including all K-7's or will there be a like K7 MkII. A Pentax K-7.5 will make me more waiting than a green line problem fixed newer K-7 batches.
08-31-2009, 07:51 AM   #382

As far as I can tell from posters in this and the DP forum, when a 'green lined' camera is sent to Pentax and it has fixed or replaced a K7, for almost all of the posters, the new or repaired camera received back from Pentax has lost its green line with no mention of a firmware fix. It therefore sounds to me like a production QC issue.

Perhaps prematurely looking forward to buying a K7, I unfortunately sold my K10D, but with autumn approaching here in New England, 80 degree days are more or less over till next summer.

I think I'll just have to wait on buying the K7 until this issue appears to be resolved (or at least the complaints tail off) for K7 buyers in September and October, in geographies with temps over 80.
08-31-2009, 08:16 AM   #383
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
or will there be a like K7 MkII. A Pentax K-7.5 will make me more waiting than a green line problem fixed newer K-7 batches.
Worst case scenario: Not under my warranty time

08-31-2009, 09:20 AM   #384
Site Supporter

Great topic idea...

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Find the line.
...for a new "contest" thread...

Been looking over a month for one... no luck. <GRRRRR...>
08-31-2009, 11:58 AM   #385
Forum Member

i got it and i'm just as mad
what options do i have? take the risk during summer holidays or should i sell k7 at lose and buy k20 again?
08-31-2009, 12:31 PM   #386
Pentaxian

Hi folks,
I do not know what to make of this. I just got off the phone with the people over at CHRISCAM the new repair station for Pentax. When I called Pentax imaging USA, at first they did not want to give me the phone number, but reluctantly they did.

Here are their details.
CRIS CAM
Attn Pentax service dept
250 n. 54th st
Chandler AZ. 85226
480) 940-1103

The girl I spoke with was very nice over at cris cam Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma What bothered me, is that this is a general all brand repair station and they have yet to service any K-7's according to what I was told on the phone today..They have never heard of the green line syndrome but would be happy to take a look....i was going to send in my K-7 today, but now I am wondering if I should. Do I really want to be an experiment? I was also told I have nothing to loose since I have a three year warranty...Anyway, I guess I will send it in and see what happens..
08-31-2009, 01:46 PM   #387
Veteran Member

Hi folks,
I do not know what to make of this. I just got off the phone with the people over at CHRISCAM the new repair station for Pentax. When I called Pentax imaging USA, at first they did not want to give me the phone number, but reluctantly they did.

Here are their details.
CRIS CAM
Attn Pentax service dept
250 n. 54th st
Chandler AZ. 85226
480) 940-1103

The girl I spoke with was very nice over at cris cam Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma What bothered me, is that this is a general all brand repair station and they have yet to service any K-7's according to what I was told on the phone today..They have never heard of the green line syndrome but would be happy to take a look....i was going to send in my K-7 today, but now I am wondering if I should. Do I really want to be an experiment? I was also told I have nothing to loose since I have a three year warranty...Anyway, I guess I will send it in and see what happens..
Do not send it in before they get the instructions from Pentax!

Thats what we did here in Sweden. Pentax Germany issued the intructions to our service shop (only one for Pentax in this litle country). We were also told by the head dealer in sweden to wait untill that moment.
08-31-2009, 02:11 PM   #388
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Markah1 Quote
As far as I can tell from posters in this and the DP forum, when a 'green lined' camera is sent to Pentax and it has fixed or replaced a K7, for almost all of the posters, the new or repaired camera received back from Pentax has lost its green line with no mention of a firmware fix. It therefore sounds to me like a production QC issue.
I have a K7 and it has the green line. I have been in touch with my local pentax and they have asked us to wait for the firmware fix. No mention of replacing cameras.
This is first hand experience... not something i deduced from reading DPR.

mike
08-31-2009, 02:22 PM   #389
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Close, I am more excited than upset, I was planning to get K7 after price drops around a grand, now I am curious about Pentax will come up a fix including all K-7's or will there be a like K7 MkII. A Pentax K-7.5 will make me more waiting than a green line problem fixed newer K-7 batches.
Basically all of the above are why I am for sure holding off on buying. It was and is the K7 that made me switch from Canon. The K7 had pretty much everything I was looking for in a DSLR last year. For me it came down (last year) to the 40D v. K20D...I chose the 40D for it's LV implementation and, in all honestly, a complete lack of appreciation of the difference between 'noise' and detail in an image. Then this year I while shopping for a 70-200 lens I ran into a Pentax shooter who reminded me of the in-body stabilization on the K20D...I searched around a bunch, found previews like Falk's (falconeye) as well as others and it was a complete no brainer that I would get far more from the K7 than moving to a 50D or whatever came next from Canon...

But things being what they are I decided to wait as my recent early adoptions on tech gear have been less than satisfying...so I grabbed what might be one of the best bargains in the DSLR market, a K20D....now, I am happy I did because what might seem like a trivial issue in the GLS, until we are told what it really is, could be a significant design issue that may, or MAY NOT, affect the lifespan of the body. So that is why I am waiting, but still discussing the issue, I want to know and if the issue is indeed nothing serious in terms of hardware probs, I just may treat myself to something this winter rather than waiting for the $899ish barrier...or just buy another lens or two instead...

So, that might be why a some of us actually have opinions even while we do not own the device...

Hi folks,

Here are their details.
CRIS CAM
Attn Pentax service dept
250 n. 54th st
Chandler AZ. 85226
480) 940-1103

Not sure if it helps as this is not directly related to Pentax nor how HoyaTax has contracted with C.R.I.S. in AZ on how to process and handle repairs nor do we know the SOP's HoyaTax has provided, but my dealings with them for repairs as well as the experiences of my friends and folks I know has always been excellent and top notch. Still it all depends on what HOYATAX has put into the contract.

Remember, even if the game is rigged, if you don't bet, you can't win.
08-31-2009, 02:32 PM   #390
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jogiba Quote
Find the line.
I found no green lines but I found bands in the shadow between the tires, shown with lil' pink arrows. They're like different contrasts, or am I just dreaming?
Attached Images

Last edited by cbaytan; 08-31-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: preposition mistake