Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2009, 07:48 PM   #511
Pentaxian
Class A's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Wellington, New Zealand
Posts: 9,177
QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
That would be good info to be had if you could find the thread.
Might not be the one but here's an example for light entering through the viewfinder (rather long exposure, though).

10-18-2009, 08:03 PM   #512
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,435
QuoteOriginally posted by min.t Quote
Hi all,

I've just bought a k7 and have promptly updated to the latest 1.01.xx13 firmware version.

however, to my horror, i have not just a green line, but a green banding halfway through my outing. (after ard 20mins of keeping the camera on. LV was off). Did i get a more serious case of the GLS?

Some points to note:
1) my shots at the start of the night did not have any visible banding.
2) the green banding appears at all high ISO
3) the green banding was only visible in my nightshots of the sky. i didn't note any banding when i shot in slightly brighter situations (at ISO800)
4) when i got home, i tried to shoot in low light and in darkness on dark objects and there was no green band.

Attached is a sample of a photo with the green banding:

Can someone shed some light on the situation? Is a trip to the service center unavoidable?
As suggested here:
Re: Back it goes: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Bad sensor, send it in......
10-19-2009, 02:11 AM   #513
Senior Member
bentax's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: West Australia
Posts: 190
Original Poster
Yeh mate send it in. I wish I'd sent mine back when i noticed the problem. This body seems plagued with glitches. Horizon correction and level is out of whack and Shake Reduction is faulty.
10-20-2009, 07:15 PM   #514
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jun 2009
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,679
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Might not be the one but here's an example for light entering through the viewfinder (rather long exposure, though).
THANKS...that thread exposes quite a bit of info and is very illuminating.

10-21-2009, 06:11 PM   #515
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
Just got my K-7. It came with 1.00 and had obvious green banding issues across the top third of the image. Installed .13 and it immediately went away. Very pleased, though I'll keep an eye on it.
10-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #516
Pentaxian
jgredline's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: LosAngeles, Ca.
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,587
QuoteOriginally posted by deadwolfbones Quote
Just got my K-7. It came with 1.00 and had obvious green banding issues across the top third of the image. Installed .13 and it immediately went away. Very pleased, though I'll keep an eye on it.
You are going to love it!
10-21-2009, 07:23 PM   #517
Senior Member
paugie's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Quezon City, Philippines
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 165
congrats, Ben, on the K7. so you won't have to be shooting with the K100D now.
10-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #518
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Crescenta, CA
Posts: 7,452
QuoteOriginally posted by paugie Quote
congrats, Ben, on the K7. so you won't have to be shooting with the K100D now.


I was actually enjoying the K100D today and looking forward to using it for the rest of the week. Then I came back from lunch and there was a big ol' box on my desk. Oh well, plans change...

10-28-2009, 11:25 AM   #519
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Albums
Posts: 105
Has anybody with geen banding/line that wasn't solved with .13 firmware tried the new 1.02 firmware? My K-7 is still in Paris for service, I would like to know does the new firmware helps at all?
10-28-2009, 07:26 PM   #520
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
QuoteOriginally posted by Jadran Quote
Has anybody with geen banding/line that wasn't solved with .13 firmware tried the new 1.02 firmware? My K-7 is still in Paris for service, I would like to know does the new firmware helps at all?
A K-7 user in my locality had a green line problem which persisted right up to V1.01.13 - he was getting really frustrated, but V1.02 seems to have fixed it for good.

Looks like there were K-7 bodies with different extents of the problem. Pentax released successive fixes and the "official" V1.02 may be the final fix.
I suppose anyone who still has the problem after this has an abnormal unit, and should have it repaired.

Last edited by kittykat46; 10-28-2009 at 07:32 PM.
10-29-2009, 11:45 AM   #521
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Zagreb
Photos: Albums
Posts: 105
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
A K-7 user in my locality had a green line problem which persisted right up to V1.01.13 - he was getting really frustrated, but V1.02 seems to have fixed it for good.

Looks like there were K-7 bodies with different extents of the problem. Pentax released successive fixes and the "official" V1.02 may be the final fix.
I suppose anyone who still has the problem after this has an abnormal unit, and should have it repaired.
Thanks, it sounds encouraging!
10-29-2009, 12:21 PM   #522
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Trabzon/Turkey
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,010
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Looks like there were K-7 bodies with different extents of the problem. Pentax released successive fixes and the "official" V1.02 may be the final fix.
Sometimes I am wondering if this green line problem actually is a hardware design flaw (something like low heat tolerance of the sensor) and Pentax is trying to fix that on the software level....
10-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #523
Veteran Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 923
QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
Sometimes I am wondering if this green line problem actually is a hardware design flaw (something like low heat tolerance of the sensor) and Pentax is trying to fix that on the software level....
There is no evidence of any degradation of Image Quality with the successive firmware fixes - plenty of people have pixel-peeped. So I'm pretty confident the solution wasn't done by "covering up" any sensor problem via software.

Given that different bodies seem to have different extents of the problem (or none at all) there certainly seems to be some circuitry tolerance involved, but it may not be the sensor at all.

It sounds to me like some defect caused by the way the firmware controls the data readout from the sensor, exacerbated by tolerances in the physical circuitry (or no problem at all, with many users, myself included).

When I was involved with high-end computer graphics cards years ago, some models exhibited a Green or Red vertical line under certain conditions. It was a circuitry clocking problem, with some parts of the circuit not working at the same speed. A firmware update fixed the problems out in the field, and the design engineers tightened the tolerances on a few components.

Probably what Pentax is doing in this case.

Last edited by kittykat46; 10-29-2009 at 10:40 PM.
10-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #524
Pentaxian
LeDave's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Minneapolis - St. Paul
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,901
When I bought my K-7 and it had about 230 actuations, 1.00 firmware, and no green banding. I was very pleased with it, I guess not all units are affected by the green banding with 1.00.
10-30-2009, 02:47 AM   #525
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,863
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
When I bought my K-7 and it had about 230 actuations, 1.00 firmware, and no green banding. I was very pleased with it, I guess not all units are affected by the green banding with 1.00.
Firmware 1.00 has the green line fix applied starting at version 1.00.00.08. New units shipping with 1.00 have no green line artefact as they are tested against.

The minor versions (I've seen 00, 04, 05, 08, 09, 13, 14 now) may be a more accurate way to quote the firmware version. E.g., 14 is 1.02.00.14.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, dslr, iso, k7, line, photography, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony outsources some sensor production to Fujitsu deadwolfbones Pentax News and Rumors 10 10-02-2010 03:24 PM
Samsung's new BSI (backside illumination) CMOS sensor will be in production by 2010 yakiniku Pentax News and Rumors 7 10-15-2009 09:34 PM
HELP!!Busted my DA* 16-50 pentaxpaul Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-02-2009 10:21 AM
Busted! pingflood Post Your Photos! 7 01-03-2009 09:57 PM
ZX-10 Busted? ericc Pentax Film SLR Discussion 1 12-01-2006 11:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:15 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top