Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 06:22 AM   #91
Pentaxian
falconeye's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Munich, Alps, Germany
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 6,862
QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2523/3709519364_09c81cdbf6_o.jpg

Here's a slightly underexposed outdoor shot I took today, its apparent on the bottom left and wherever else its dark or there is black.
Well, seems you missed an excellent opportunity to check out your K-7's HDR capabilities here

If you don't mind that I bothered with your image, here's an illustration of what I mean...

Note: Image by C.W Tsorotes, altered by me.


Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:29 AM.
07-11-2009, 06:58 AM   #92
K-9
Pentaxian
K-9's Avatar

Join Date: May 2009
Location: USA
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,962
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike.P Quote
Jessops here in the UK are in dire financial trouble (only just scraping up enough to pay their rent the last quater). Pentax have refused to supply equipment to them on credit which is why they no longer stock the brand.
Wow, I've never heard of credit stocking. I know Ritz and Jessops are in trouble, but it just seems odd that Pentax would pull stock from places, because this means zero sales from those companies. Any sales is good sales when you're not the top camera brand around and just got bought out.
07-11-2009, 08:45 AM   #93
Veteran Member
nostatic's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: socal
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,576
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Wow, I've never heard of credit stocking. I know Ritz and Jessops are in trouble, but it just seems odd that Pentax would pull stock from places, because this means zero sales from those companies. Any sales is good sales when you're not the top camera brand around and just got bought out.
If you're getting most of your sales from online vendors, do you want unpaid inventory sitting in a store that may or may not sell it?

Hoya is rolling the dice that this strategy will work for this level of camera. Some products can easily survive with primarily online sales. Others that require more "hand holder" of the customer (like bicycles) tend to need brick and mortar but there are exceptions there as well. Be interesting to see their numbers over the next year. But I'd rather they spent their money on design and execution rather than sales reps.
07-11-2009, 08:47 AM   #94
Veteran Member
Torphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trinidad W.I.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 620
That line in my post is smack dab in the middle of the screen and goes right across, I see it on my 21" lcd where it sticks out like a sore thumb and on my 42" 1080p tv where I first saw it, if even shows on the cameras lcd after using it for several min in the sun with no live view.

07-11-2009, 10:04 AM   #95
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
QuoteOriginally posted by roof_top Quote
What screen are you using? I'm having a hard time spotting it on my laptop's lcd but it sticks out clearly on my 21" crt.
Using 3x LCD monitors

BenQ FP2091 1600x1200
BenQ FP91G 1280x1024
BenQ FW222 1680x1050

can't see the lines in all 3 monitors
07-11-2009, 11:41 AM   #96
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2
New to Forum with K-7 green line problem

Hello to everybody. I am a 1st time Pentax user currently shooting with Oly E1, Oly E300, Oly e400, Finepix S5pro, Nikon D300 and Sigma SD14. I just received my new K-7 from Amazon 2 days ago and was struck immediately with the thin green line problem. I would say it appears in 1 out of every 40 shots. It is in the same location (just right of center) everytime and extends from the bottom to right above half way. It usually appears in darker areas...not black, but more like a 50% gray card would look like. Noise reduction removes a lot of it. I contacted Pentax and they suggested that I should return it to Amazon and that it was a destinate problem. They also said that there were no "issues" that they were aware of with the K-7. There is no prejudice of ISO's. It appeared on several. It is a definite green line and very easy to see.
When I learn how to post photos, I will do so.

Really look forward to the forum!
Jim
07-11-2009, 12:05 PM   #97
New Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2
Egsadurated Photo green line

I manipulated a slice of this photo to bring it out. shut off all noise reduction in photoshop.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
07-11-2009, 12:45 PM   #98
Veteran Member
Torphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trinidad W.I.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 620
QuoteOriginally posted by WinSurfer95 Quote
I manipulated a slice of this photo to bring it out. shut off all noise reduction in photoshop.
Yup this is what I get as well, Pentax probably doesn't have enough returns yet to say it is an issue yet. Let's say of the first 20,000 cameras shipped only 500 have this problem it still won't be considered an issue until that number rises to about 2000 or so. My guess is he initial sensors from Samsung has a higher than average defect rate. Let's hope the 2nd wave improves.

07-11-2009, 12:54 PM   #99
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
I took some photos in DNG RAW with AWB aperture priority mode only cropped and resized in lightroom 2 amd exported as JPEG 70% quality resized @1024px width and uploaded them to Asus P6T6 WS Revolution - X58 Motherboard (large version of photos click on thumbnails). Anyone see any lines in my photos ? Clearly i can't see the lines could be my monitor ?

Photome reads my RAW DNG files with sensor temp between 28-34C.

AWB is awesome to capture platinum coloured heatsinks on these modules - usually with my K200D it's a bitch to get the colour right.
07-11-2009, 01:05 PM   #100
Pentaxian
Dr_who's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 686
QuoteOriginally posted by eva2000 Quote
I took some photos in DNG RAW with AWB aperture priority mode only cropped and resized in lightroom 2 amd exported as JPEG 70% quality resized @1024px width and uploaded them to Asus P6T6 WS Revolution - X58 Motherboard (large version of photos click on thumbnails). Anyone see any lines in my photos ? Clearly i can't see the lines could be my monitor ?

Photome reads my RAW DNG files with sensor temp between 28-34C.

AWB is awesome to capture platinum coloured heatsinks on these modules - usually with my K200D it's a bitch to get the colour right.
Looks like a nice mobo! and your right the auto white balance is very nice. I've barly touched white balance on any photos I took with my K7, if I have its more for artistic reasons then the camera being wrong. As for lines, I didn't see any, would it be possible to upload a 100% image. The mobo board is extremely detailed and busy, more pictures of the box please :P

a interestign note is I've yet to see a photo with the line when the flash is used. I might try that on my camera and see if I can get the line to show up when the flash is used.


Eva my first response would be no I don't see lines, least not in that setup with those subjects at that image size.

Last edited by Dr_who; 07-11-2009 at 01:09 PM. Reason: added info
07-11-2009, 01:27 PM   #101
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
Looks like a nice mobo! and your right the auto white balance is very nice. I've barly touched white balance on any photos I took with my K7, if I have its more for artistic reasons then the camera being wrong. As for lines, I didn't see any, would it be possible to upload a 100% image. The mobo board is extremely detailed and busy, more pictures of the box please :P

a interestign note is I've yet to see a photo with the line when the flash is used. I might try that on my camera and see if I can get the line to show up when the flash is used.

Eva my first response would be no I don't see lines, least not in that setup with those subjects at that image size.
okay uploading first 16 raw DNG files and last 16 raw DNG files so can see if after 100s of photos the sensor has heated up to see if the line appears - they'll take 2hrs to upload so leaving it overnight while i sleep but they'll be located here when finished.

Did some handheld ISO tests uploaded DNG raw and irfanview resized jpegs as well uploaded here - center focus on calculator's '9' digit. I have the flu so was coughing while taking photos - yay for image stabilisation
07-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #102
Pentaxian
Dr_who's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 686
I took 10 photos and can't reproduce the lines with the flash up. Interesting, if I line up images again with layers with non flash images and I see like 5 pixel sections but so faint I don't know if its my eyes playing tricks on me. Either way with Flash up the image is withing acceptable levels in my opinon. Curious if others who have the line have same results.

Eva before you go to bed did you upload any images without the flash?
07-11-2009, 02:11 PM   #103
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I took 10 photos and can't reproduce the lines with the flash up. Interesting, if I line up images again with layers with non flash images and I see like 5 pixel sections but so faint I don't know if its my eyes playing tricks on me. Either way with Flash up the image is withing acceptable levels in my opinon. Curious if others who have the line have same results.

Eva before you go to bed did you upload any images without the flash?
ISO test ones are without flash handheld
07-11-2009, 02:14 PM   #104
Veteran Member
Torphoto's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Trinidad W.I.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 620
Eva your images are scaled down, the line will obviously not show up in them if you had it.
07-11-2009, 02:16 PM   #105
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 239
i've included DNG Raw full out of the camera photos here (NR = Weak @>800ISO) and here
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, camera, dslr, iso, k7, line, photography, sensor
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sony outsources some sensor production to Fujitsu deadwolfbones Pentax News and Rumors 10 10-02-2010 03:24 PM
Samsung's new BSI (backside illumination) CMOS sensor will be in production by 2010 yakiniku Pentax News and Rumors 7 10-15-2009 09:34 PM
HELP!!Busted my DA* 16-50 pentaxpaul Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 10 03-02-2009 10:21 AM
Busted! pingflood Post Your Photos! 7 01-03-2009 09:57 PM
ZX-10 Busted? ericc Pentax Film SLR Discussion 1 12-01-2006 11:41 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:13 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top