Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 03:51 AM   #121

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
My 2 cents ...

@eva2000:
IMGP2678.dng has no line (even in extended analysis)
IMGP2546_1600iso.dng has no visible line (the background is too busy for an extended analysis)

@WinSurfer95, Dr_who:
A visible line which isn't in the vertical center, or which shows up at a normal operating temperature of the sensor, may be considered rare. Depending on how disturbing it is, it may be considered defect or not. But normally, a K-7 won't have this. At least, my pre-production camera didn't have it.

@Everybody else:
To check whether you get a noise line with a heated sensor, or to study the effect, force a red thermometer (e.g., extendend movie recording for half an hour), switch to photo and make an image of a uniform out-of-focus (blurred) background. Then, crop the center and apply auto contrast to see the line. The line may be only one 256-step RGB increment brighter. Once you are able to see the line, you are able to study the dependency on temperature. Note that the effect (normally) is very faint and hardly noticeable. Many would say it is a non issue. The line typically remains invisible with a busy subject.

For the time being, I would say that "I got no line with a heated sensor" statements are as valuable as "Yes, I got a line too" statements.
thanks for taking the time to check wonder if certain batch of bodies are effected ? maybe down to serial number of the K-7 body ?

My K-7 body serial number = 337818*

07-12-2009, 05:01 AM   #122

Original Poster
She goes alright now.

Last edited by bentax; 07-12-2009 at 05:37 AM.
07-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #123
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
She goes alright now.
OMG , there are two blue lines.......

just kidding.....

Good to see your unit looks OK now.

Its just that I'm feeling a bit like a hypochondriac right now after reading these posts...I'm ending up scanning every photo downloaded to my PC for thin blue lines, instead of enjoying my new K-7
07-12-2009, 06:31 AM   #124

Checked mine K-7, seems all OK, Video ~ 30 min, LV, PhotoMe shows ~ 37 C. Pictures without lines, serial number 337778*

07-12-2009, 08:25 AM   #125
Veteran Member

Geez my serial is with in -20 or everyone elses, but looks like alot of the first batch has the issues.
07-12-2009, 09:25 AM   #126
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ragtop Quote
I heard someone say on another forum that all problem camera's came from Amazon.com as Pentax gave them the first production run. Once this flaw was noticed, Amazon.com pulled their remaining stock.

At this stage I don't know how much truth there is to this statement, has anyone else heard this? Also, is anyone tracking serial #'s of the problem camera's?

I'm curious because I have one coming from Walmart.com and it's due to be delivered to me Tuesday.

Jim
Its not true, mine came from a reputable camera store within the city. I called them and they had 2 left so I put one on hold and hope to swap. I have a different line problem then most as mines a constant entity not related to live view/ movie mode.
07-12-2009, 02:10 PM   #127
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skinja Quote
Hey K-9, Have you ever spent any time at a Ritz camera store? for those of us that have, it's probably a blessing.... NO I know its a blessing. can't speak about Jessops.
Jessops are a joke, they deserve to go bust.

07-12-2009, 02:22 PM   #128
Igilligan

Amazon now lists the K7 as "not been released yet"

WTF... "This item has not yet been released" it says it is available for Pre-order?

what is that about?

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-K-7-Digital-Shake-Reduction/dp/B0028N7442/ref=s...7433554&sr=8-1
07-12-2009, 02:23 PM   #129
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just spent 3 hours out hiking and taking pictures in high heat - the air temperature was over 36C by the time I made it back to the Jeep. I took over 200 pictures, some 5 frame auto bracket, most single shot. No continuous shooting or movie mode. Live view a second or two when I accidentally pushed the LV button while reaching for something else. Not one line on any of the pictures! And (now that I understand what I was doing wrong and right yesterday with exiftool), I got a list of the sensor temperatures for all of the pictures. It starts out at 27 C and goes up as high as 41 C.

So it's not heat alone that is causing the problem with certain cameras - I still think it's associated with the movie mode.

Are those that have identified the problem going to send them into Pentax for repair? Or return to whoever they bought them from? By the way, I did get mine from Amazon. And I'm really unsure what to do - return the camera or send it in for repair, or just keep it as is.
07-12-2009, 05:00 PM   #130
Veteran Member

I'm sending mine to Amazon as Pentax said I should for replacement
07-12-2009, 07:40 PM   #131

QuoteOriginally posted by ragtop Quote
I have one coming from Walmart.com
Jim
Maybe I've had one too many Fat Tires, but I could have sworn you indicated that Walmart is selling K-7 cameras...

David
07-12-2009, 09:08 PM   #132
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The search tool only shows it if you do a search for K7 not if you search Pentax on walmart.com Walmart.com: Pentax K-7 14.6MP Black (Body Only) Digital SLR Camera, Weather Resistant, 3" LiveView LCD, HD Movie Capture, Magnesium Alloy Body, (K7): Digital Cameras
07-13-2009, 03:08 AM   #133

Hmm, I can search "pentax" at walmart.com and then view all website hits and it clearly shows up there with 41 other pentax hits.

Jim
07-13-2009, 03:53 PM   #134
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
WTF... "This item has not yet been released" it says it is available for Pre-order?
Amazon.com: Pentax K-7 14.6 MP Digital SLR with Shake Reduction and 720p HD Video (Body Only): Electronics
It is now back "in stock". So, no problem here...
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM   #135
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
It is now back "in stock". So, no problem here...
and hey we see our first price decrease already from Amazon...I have one in my cart just so I can do the impulse trigger purchase if I have nothing better to do at 4AM...it dropped in price...from $1299.99 to $1299.00...it's allllllllmost enough for me to just do it!!

hehehe...I love when Amazon does that sort of thing. BTW, for those price watcher out there here is a faster way to track the price from a given seller w/o need to constantly add a thing to your cart. Just add one from each vendor, then view your cart, indicate to "save them for later" and then anytime you click on the "View cart" button you will be told about any price changes for the items either in your cart or below it in the "Saved for Later" section...easier than even a watch list I think.

The above is especially nice for items you have to add to your cart to see the price.

I just use this for when I know I am going to buy something, but only when the price drops enough. Of course the waiting game bit me in the arse this past few weeks...oh, well, it means a couple less new lenses and a couple more legacy lenses...works for me as long as I have one sealed lense in the bunch.

Sorry for meandering a bit there...no sleep...kinda goofy right now.