Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #61

Photos: Gallery
Cooling.....

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I would...no reason for that issue to exist. Now ever and especially nit when ya paid full boat MSRP for the thing in order to help support the company.

Is this a case of some component overheating? I wonder if by making the body so compact the air flow is significantly different. I would love to read about someone living in like Fresno, Mojave, Palm Springs or some back-country dust farm in Australia (wait it's not summer down south...so it's not warm, right?) but someone somewhere hot taking the thing out for a shoot in the hot sun for a few hours. OK, someone living in the Midwest or, even better a hot muggy summer day shooting in the beach in Florida or the , Texas the Gulf of Mexico...just somewhere HOT...an oven should to as well!! hehehe...JUST JOKING ABOUT THE OVEN DON'T TRY IT...

I have to admit I never considered cooling as an issue for a DSLR. I guess it is just another electronic device and needs proper airflow as much as any other such device.

So that"s why they make the bodies so big in Canikon land ???????

07-10-2009, 03:17 AM   #62
Inactive Account

There's nothing wrong in camera body being large. Not everyone has tiny weeny little sticks otherwise known as fingers.
07-10-2009, 06:13 AM   #63
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fototim Quote
If I've read this correctly, they just lost their chance. Ritz Camera Files Auction Plans for 400 Stores with Bankruptcy Court
"A hearing on the bidding is scheduled for July 10 at the U.S. Bankruptcy in Wilmington, and Ritz Camera Centers intends to hold the auction on July 20 with a court hearing on July 23 to approve the sale. Once approved by the court, going out of business sales could be held the next day, according to Reuters’s reporting."

Looks like I'll be back hitting the remaining Ritz stores on July 24th! Although, I checked two of the few remaining stores left open in my area, and they had absolutely nothing Pentax at all. I'll have to hunt for the ones that do.
07-10-2009, 06:55 AM   #64
Veteran Member

New day, new card and still get lines, I'm giving the camera till monday then I'm sending it back for another, I really really like this camera, I just hope I got an early adopter bad sample here.

07-10-2009, 09:10 AM   #65
K-9
Veteran Member

With any electronics, if something does something bizarre or out of the ordinary once, it may repeat it again later. Even if the flaw happened and then disappeared for a while, I wouldn't chance it. Why not just get an exchange for a brand new one?
07-10-2009, 09:18 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
With any electronics, if something does something bizarre or out of the ordinary once, it may repeat it again later. Even if the flaw happened and then disappeared for a while, I wouldn't chance it. Why not just get an exchange for a brand new one?
Good point, ok now where's that fedex truck
07-10-2009, 05:49 PM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I agree...even more so when one pays the full boat MSRP like is being charged for the K7 right now. People who are willing to take the chance of buying early releases of any electronic item deserve a perfect product considering the premuim they are paying to be in that first group of owners.

07-10-2009, 07:23 PM   #68
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brecklundin Quote
I agree...even more so when one pays the full boat MSRP like is being charged for the K7 right now. People who are willing to take the chance of buying early releases of any electronic item deserve a perfect product considering the premuim they are paying to be in that first group of owners.
People who are willing to take the chance of buying early releases (aka v1.0) of anything are pioneers. How do you tell pioneers from the crowd - they're the ones with arrows sticking out of their backs! I would never, ever, buy the first model of anything anymore - I've been burnt too many times!
07-10-2009, 07:25 PM   #69
Veteran Member

The best recommendation for those who encounter this problem would be to return the unit. Its definitely a problem with the unit.

I work in the electronics industry (nothing related to cameras). My experience with product launch stock is that in terms of build quality, they are about as good as it gets. They are likely to be checked 100% multiple times to ensure no "duds" interfere with the launch.

The risk is higher with
a) "Unknown" problems. There are issues which engineers have not been able to identify during testing, and only arise after e.g. 6 months of heavy usage.
b) And... this one is a lot more controversial. Known problems which may only occur in e.g. 0.1% of the units, and won't injure anyone or fry the equipment.
Top management may sign off on it and stay with the product launch date - "Let the warranty system handle it".....I'm not in those circles which make such decisions but I'm aware they do get made sometimes...

I won't be surprised if this one is such a case.
07-10-2009, 07:37 PM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
The best recommendation for those who encounter this problem would be to return the unit. Its definitely a problem with the unit.

I work in the electronics industry (nothing related to cameras). My experience with product launch stock is that in terms of build quality, they are about as good as it gets. They are likely to be checked 100% multiple times to ensure no "duds" interfere with the launch.

The risk is higher with
a) "Unknown" problems. There are issues which engineers have not been able to identify during testing, and only arise after e.g. 6 months of heavy usage.
b) And... this one is a lot more controversial. Known problems which may only occur in e.g. 0.1% of the units, and won't injure anyone or fry the equipment.
Top management may sign off on it and stay with the product launch date - "Let the warranty system handle it".....I'm not in those circles which make such decisions but I'm aware they do get made sometimes...

I won't be surprised if this one is such a case.
In video mode I found a similar line is apparent in very dark scenes.

Also please take a look at the very dark part of the image, near the bottom where the PS3 & receiver are. It's very speckly. I'm still not convinced this is normal.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3522/3708946434_1ed28caf90_o.jpg
07-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote

Also please take a look at the very dark part of the image, near the bottom where the PS3 & receiver are. It's very speckly. I'm still not convinced this is normal.

I'm not convinced it is abnormal. Noise seems well, as noise seems. And quite uniform..
07-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by C.W Tsorotes Quote

Yes, that looks normal to me, particularly for a high ISO image in the shadows. That is what you have to expect. When there is no light to capture, the camera has to make do with the few photos that it receives...
07-10-2009, 08:07 PM   #73
Veteran Member

Whats the speckling on the very dark scenes? thats whats totally stumping me.
07-10-2009, 08:14 PM   #74
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Yes, that looks normal to me, particularly for a high ISO image in the shadows. That is what you have to expect. When there is no light to capture, the camera has to make do with the few photos that it receives...
That was taken at ISO 400
07-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #75
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arpaagent Quote
Ok then.

Just out of curiousity are you able to upload a demonstration?

thanks.