Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 10:50 PM   #136
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I called today and asked if they had any so I could exchange mine and they said they had them available. They may have temporarily sold out and changed the screen to the older one rather than saying "temporarily out of stock"?

07-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #137
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I took my K7 back to the store and they exchanged it after taking some pictures and seeing if the line would apear. After they could see it was reproducable they exchanged it. I was a little nervous as it doesn't show up 100% of the time. Any how I've yet to see if doing movie mode for extended time shows the center line on this new one, but I'm quite happy without the line constantly appearing off to the side on regular shots.
07-14-2009, 10:33 AM   #138
Veteran Member

Well I do believe amazon pulled their stock and changed it out for a newer make batch but not that they alone got the first batch, many others did get cameras from the initial batch. My replacement should be here tomorrow or thursday from amazon and just in time for a whole lot of use this weekend. Studio shoot on saturday, a band launch that night and another studio shoot sunday. I will be using the K20D for stills and the K7 for both stills and video, remote controls rock. Now I just hope the K7 can recored 45 min of video with out crashing or burning the sensor, it will be at night about 23 to 25c and this is important as the K7 so far out performs both my Dv cams and the canon A1 hd cam iq wise in these conditions and the smaller dof just adds the Pro look.
07-14-2009, 11:00 AM   #139
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
I took my K7 back to the store and they exchanged it after taking some pictures and seeing if the line would apear. After they could see it was reproducable they exchanged it. I was a little nervous as it doesn't show up 100% of the time. Any how I've yet to see if doing movie mode for extended time shows the center line on this new one, but I'm quite happy without the line constantly appearing off to the side on regular shots.
snickersnicker...it's called the 'Critical Needs Circuitry' which knows when you need it the most and will then refuse to work or not work depending on your needs at the moment. So, apparently Pentax got the "Critical Needs Circuitry" wrong if you were able to demonstrate the flaw at the store...hehehehe....glad it worked and also happy to read the replacements seem to be working better so far.

07-14-2009, 11:07 AM   #140

QuoteOriginally posted by Dr_who Quote
what were the serial numbers between old and new K-7 ?
07-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #141

I'm returning my K-7 with the exact same problem. Shot a five minute video and then subsequent photo's have the solid green stripe down the frame. It's most easily seen if you heavily underexpose a shot of a dark surface. The effect did disappear after a few shots. I was able to recreate the problem. I hope the replacement doesn't have the same issue

Here's a resized image showing the issue I see:

Last edited by chirpy; 07-16-2009 at 07:57 AM.
07-18-2009, 09:51 AM   #142
Veteran Member

Just an fyi for everyone, the new K7 I got seems to have the issue to

the difference between serial #'s is 3379xxx newer vs 3378xxx older with the problem

so far the new one has the same problem but not in the center, it isn't heat related but just shows up when ever live view is used.

OH and amazon put air bags in the box this time.

Attached Images

Last edited by Torphoto; 07-18-2009 at 11:48 AM.
07-18-2009, 09:53 AM   #143

That's interesting - my old serial # is 3377xxx

My replacement is coming Monday.
07-18-2009, 10:23 AM   #144
Veteran Member

Well since we now know it isn't heat related and that it does disappear soon after a firmware fix seems possible, Pentax u listening?

Ok well I'm keeping the first camera as the 2nd newer one is WORSE as the line is always there, no matter what, just my luck it seems, I will be sending the first to Pentax in a month if a new firmware isn't released that fixes it.

Last edited by Torphoto; 07-18-2009 at 11:09 AM.
07-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #145
Veteran Member

good luck to the people who mass order from overseas.
07-18-2009, 02:47 PM   #146
Urs
Pentaxian

Hi folks, sorry to make my first post here with this issue, got my new K7 from Adorama this week and sensor also shows that green line, aldo as mentioned only after I tried a short video and live view and then disappeared again. Will test a bit more and wait & hope a firmware solution will become available. Serial number is 3378xxx.
07-18-2009, 04:08 PM   #147

Looks like there are going to be a lot of "refurb" K-7s on the market soon.
07-18-2009, 05:36 PM   #148
Veteran Member

I am in conversation with Pentax Europe (the one in Hamburg) about the issue.

They have now issued a statement in their FAQ section, found here:
http://media.pentax.de/downloads/photo/de/17531/Fragen%20und%20Antworten.pdf
(it is the last question & answer, in German language)

For your conveniene, I provide my manual translation here:

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax Europe GmbH:
Q: After I used video or live view for an extended period of time, and subsequently take still images, I'll find a bright stripe in the middle of the image.

A: We are aware of the issue. The reason is sensor heat. Both, live view and video cause stress for the sensor (German: "setzen den Sensor dauerhaft unter Spannung") which produces heat. Morever, ambient conditions like summer sun may produce extensive heat on the sensor.
If now a still image is shot after a correspondingly extensive use and matching ambient temperatures, then thermal noise across the center of the image may emerge. The next step of the camera would be the automatic shut-off.
The "noise stripe" will disappear after the cool down of the sensor.

Treat the camera (implying the sensor) the same as you would treat film: "store cool and dry".
I have asked Pentax Europe GmbH (W.Baus) to provide further clarification.
07-18-2009, 06:45 PM   #149
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

so basically, just keep in the cupboard and wait till winter to use?

Its almost like Apple`s response to the iPhone`s overheat problems word for word.
07-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #150
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote

Nice find thanks...but wow that is about as unsatisfactory a statement as I would want to read. So, they have a camera that can be used at -10C but not in the middle of summer unless kept in an ice chest? (I exaggerate to illustrate the issue.)

Do you suspect this was the 'small' adjustment to the sensor from the pre-production units? Kinda happy I have not yet purchased a K7 about now, even if I don't expect to use video much, if at all. Clearly this is a design flaw.