Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-21-2009, 01:45 PM   #346
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thanks for posintg that link Class A. I read the whole exchange/discussion so far and it makes sense. I won't mention the speculation because w/o the rest of the discussion over there it might not be clear what it is nor what the options might be for the potential causes. Good info in the thread though and anyone with or thinking of buying a K7 should read it.

08-21-2009, 06:19 PM   #347
Banned

From the Canon 5D MKII manual :

08-28-2009, 07:52 PM   #348
Veteran Member

Ok, Thanks Falconeye for the heads up on this thread.

Hi folks..
I just got off the phone with Pentax imaging and explained to the service rep about the dreaded green line. At first he tried to deny there was even a problem, but after offering to send him images and numerous links to various problems showing this green line, he admitted there is a ''small'' problem with ''very few'' bodies...Anyway, he told me to send it in and they will fix it for me at get this ''no charge'' and not to worry....He said the fixes take about two-three weeks...I am sending mine back on Monday...
08-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #349
Veteran Member

Well, after spending the past hour reading through most of this thread, it seems like there is no fix. Am I wasting my time in sending my body back to Pentax? Are the latest bodies having the same green line issue?

08-29-2009, 01:29 AM   #350
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
As far as i know there is no fix. I sent images and a an email to pentax aus two weeks ago and was told "we're working on a fix" which implies a firmware update.

I did send them another mail last night asking them to clarify it. Is is firmware fix, will you replace the body? What? WHen?

I's starting to heat up in Aus so temp is a great concern to me.
FWIW, i believe all k7 will show the line in the correct circumstances.

As to what they will do about it? who knows? they are not telling us.

mike
08-29-2009, 02:09 AM   #351

In Sweden, after four weeks of waiting and corresponding with Pentax, we've been told to send our cameras in for service. It's no fw-fix available, they were talking about some adjustments on the camera itself and if that didn't help, they will send us a new camera. It feels like they really don't have any solution for a fix, besides give us a new camera. I'll wait and see, my K7 has been in their hands for a week now.
08-29-2009, 03:09 AM   #352
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
As far as i know there is no fix. I sent images and a an email to pentax aus two weeks ago and was told "we're working on a fix" which implies a firmware update.
mike
All things going on also proves that Pentax had chosen wrong beta-testers ,

They shoulda send me a K8 in coupla months.

08-29-2009, 03:11 AM   #353
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Ok, Thanks Falconeye for the heads up on this thread.
[...]
he told me to send it in and they will fix it for me at get this ''no charge'' and not to worry....He said the fixes take about two-three weeks
Thanks for reposting it here.
QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
"we're working on a fix" which implies a firmware update.
[...] As to what they will do about it? who knows? they are not telling us.
QuoteOriginally posted by sodnik Quote
In Sweden [...] they were talking about some adjustments on the camera itself and if that didn't help, they will send us a new camera.
jgredline's and sodnik's post tell a different story from schmik's one. I am wondering what takes two-three weeks. The wait for the fix? Or do they actually touch the hardware? It will be interesting to follow up jgredline's story. jgredline, please try to find out what they mean by "fix".

The rumor mill in Germany (I received no official update on the issue yet) is more in line with schmik's story.

I would wait for the fix they are currently working on and then send the camera in (if still necessary). Should reduce waiting time to get it back.
08-29-2009, 03:13 AM   #354
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by jgredline Quote
Well, after spending the past hour reading through most of this thread, it seems like there is no fix. Am I wasting my time in sending my body back to Pentax? Are the latest bodies having the same green line issue?
I, should wait for a while until Pentax will come up with a proven permanent solution, then send the camera back, and live with the green line at that time. God bless photoshop..
08-29-2009, 03:33 AM   #355
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by cbaytan Quote
All things going on also proves that Pentax had chosen wrong beta-testers
@cbaytan, you like unfriendly comments, don't you?

The issue was first discovered by one of the ten German alpha testers and then confirmed by others.

This is the first global mention of it:
40Limited: Roter Alarm!
well before the K-7 went on sale.

However, this thread and the German alpha testers made clear that we talk about a phenomenon which is normally very difficult to provoque. Out of thousands of images only one of mine had the problem.

On most K-7, you either need to torture test or expose to rather hot conditions to see the phenomenon. Reading this thread may give a different impression. But as far as I know, even a K-7 reported to suffer from the dreaded line syndrome will handle the heat produced by recording a movie better than a D90.

It is probably a good idea to not post into this thread if one doesn't have a K-7, doesn't ask a question or doesn't communicate for Pentax to provide further information ...

Last edited by falconeye; 08-29-2009 at 03:40 AM.
08-29-2009, 03:39 AM   #356
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
@cbaytan, you like unfriendly comments, don't you?

It is probably a good idea to not post into this thread if one doesn't have a K-7 or doesn't communicate for Pentax to provide further information ...
Trying to shut someone up who doesn't have K7 here is not a good idea and unfriendly, me thinks.
08-29-2009, 03:46 AM   #357
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
cbaytan, completely uncalled for comment that offers nothing to the discussion. Choose your words more carefully unless you want me watching you more carefully. You know full well that a few members here were testers and well qualified ones at that. Heck I 've read books that have been edited and proof read 6 times before publishing and still have spelling mistakes.

Now back to the issue at hand. I have a simple question, clearly heat is a sensor enemy and is an issue for all brands in one way or another. It degrades IQ is some fashion as other brands cameras have seen.

So is this a pixel peeping issue? If you don't use LV or video and just shoot stills. Even if the green line is there in a 100% crop, do you actually see it in a normal image? Has anyone taken a photo and enlarged it to 16x20 or so in a print? Does it appear at all. I'm betting it doesn't.

Sure I don't want it either but I've enlarged images with dead pixels that didn't show up in the print.

Is this too much ado about a minor nothing?
08-29-2009, 03:54 AM   #358
Damn Brit

I haven't seen it mentioned here but it popped up in a conversation I had earlier.
Is there a possibility that the weather sealing could have something to do with this issue?
After all, if it stops the weather getting in, logically it could prevent something like heat dissipation from the inside.
08-29-2009, 04:03 AM   #359
Veteran Member

Falk,

Too funny, I was just sitting down to write the same details because I long ago read you, and other testers, found it this very issue. I also commend Pentax for allowing testers to post comments IN PUBLIC rather than the typical alpha/beta NDA type testing. That is completely unheard of in the biz these days...HoyaTax is to be given some "stars" for that part of the development. It is almost like a community developed body...and now that some aspects of my daily life have calmed down I can really look at it all and appreciate the boon the open-testing was to us out here...

Also, thanks for reminding the issue is indeed, so far anyway, restricted to some rather extreme temps, for whatever the reason be it environmental or using features which increase internal temps. I had also been writing to ask if people using LV/Video in shot bursts ever even notice the issue.

I like the body too much to write it off as bad body...other then the green line issue, if one has the funds to buy now, I have sort of changed my opinion and see no reason not to buy it, with a 3yr, warranty now if you want it...the GLS "green line syndrome" seems the only problematic design issue is know, nothing else seems to have come to the forefront, other than the inability to turn off "black frame extraction" on long exposures, but that to could be address in a FW release sometime in the future.

Glad woke and can't fall back asleep...excellent new details and points of view. I will add one observation, about those like me who have not purchased a K7, YET...I will add my comments are more from the POV in looking at an issue trying to understand the sequence which triggers the problem and also to find more input for those who have far better understanding of the engineering side of DSLR's...but agree antagonistic comments are never going to help people get their head around the issue and appreciate if the issue will affect them under the conditions they plan to shoot.

Just know there are many of us out here who indeed appreciate the work of all the testers, who have keep us out here in-the-loop with anything found...good or "not SO good" findings.

Last edited by brecklundin; 08-29-2009 at 04:21 AM. Reason: speel chacking... ;)
08-29-2009, 04:12 AM   #360
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary, I doubt WS would matter much. Even everyday cameras are pretty tight and don't let much or any air pass through. But size might be a contributing factor. This body is much smaller than the K20D and so there's less air inside or space for the chip to cool. Maybe they will have to put a radiator in them Computers have enough space to allow a grill to be added to chips (like the processor) that get very hot and laptops have fans. These sensor chips don't have much to help dissipate heat.