Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 11:04 PM   #406
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tcom Quote
No. My K-7 was configured in french before the update, and was still french after the update. I did also keep all settings.
Thank you, I will give it a go tomorrow.

09-02-2009, 01:06 AM   #407
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
x=2468 which is 132 pixels right of the center
Thanks Falconeye, appreciated.

Have people seen this post on dpreview? Bottom line is there's been another firmware update, which now allegedly fixes this issue.

If CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.05 ==> you still have an issue
If CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09 ==> issue gone

The OP downloaded the green line firmware fix here (German Pentax site). Perhaps the update hasn't propagated to other download locations yet.
09-02-2009, 01:10 AM   #408
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Thanks Falconeye, appreciated.

Have people seen this post on dpreview? Bottom line is there's been another firmware update, which now allegedly fixes this issue.

If CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.05 ==> you still have an issue
If CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09 ==> issue gone

The OP downloaded the green line firmware fix here (German Pentax site). Perhaps the update hasn't propagated to other download locations yet.
Yes, and the OP at dpreview (me) wrote this also in this thread on the previous page (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/726447-post403.html)
09-02-2009, 01:13 AM   #409
Veteran Member

*doh*, my bad, I didn't see it (and I even posted it in a new thread to alert other K-7 owners). Great news though

09-02-2009, 01:56 AM   #410
Veteran Member

DSP Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09
Dominique,

thanks a lot on the update.

This must be the firmware update there have been rumors about spreading around. It explains too why parts of Pentax thought that 1.01 fixes the issue while it didn't.

I guess, Pentax opted to not officially announce it and rename it 1.02 to keep the issue out of the press (firmware upgrades are normally announced on photo sites). Understandable.

However, they could have added another nice freebie (like screw drive enforcement) and then call it 1.02
09-02-2009, 02:39 AM   #411
Veteran Member

In my opinion, the fix of the green line issue is planned for 1.02 together with other changes, but in order to solve this customers' issue as quickly as possible, they decided to release a kind of hotfix to the 1.01 adding the fix for the green line issue.
09-02-2009, 03:30 AM   #412
Pentaxian

K-7 with 1.01 of yesterday, without the green line problem:
DSP Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09
CPU Firmware Version: 1.01.00.09
I hope I'm wrong but another reason why there was no fuzz about the new firmware could be that the firmware provides a fix for the symptom (no green line) but not for the problem. In other words, it may only implement a patch that makes the green line go away but perhaps at the expense of resolution.

It would be great if someone could have a close look at the part of the image where the green line should appear and check whether the pixels are just duplicates.

For most the outcome won't matter but I'm curious whether (if the firmware indeed provides a fix) Pentax managed to address the problem at its root cause or is "just" applying a band aid.

09-02-2009, 03:51 AM   #413
Veteran Member

I just updated my camera but will need to take it out on a warm day to test it....
The weird thing is:
1. downloaded and extracted zip file.
2. tried to update and nothing happened. Like it did not see the file at all.
3. checked the file for 1.01.00.05 and it was named fwdc204b.bin. The freshly downloaded and unzipped file was FWDC204B.BIN. Same name but different case.
4. renamed file to lower case and all went to plan.

Damn..... who knows when i'll get to test this. Going to get the child number3 evicted from the wifes womb tomorrow. I don't think that the excuse of "i need to test for the green line" will work while she is in the throws of labour pains.

mike
09-02-2009, 03:59 AM   #414
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
I don't think that the excuse of "i need to test for the green line" will work while she is in the throws of labour pains.
Mike, if she loves you, mentioning "GLS" should suffice

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
In other words, it may only implement a patch that makes the green line go away but perhaps at the expense of resolution.
I had a private conversation with Gordon B Good about possible causes and cures of the GLS. According to his favourite speculation (a bug in the dark level edge compensation algorithm) a firmware fix might fix the green line w/o affecting resolution.

I know it is a lot of work. But it may be interesting to have two RAW images (of the same defocussed uniform background like an underexposed white wall) at a temperature normally exhibiting GLS, one with 05, the other with 09. Gordon may be keen to analyze them

Last edited by falconeye; 09-02-2009 at 04:11 AM.
09-02-2009, 04:03 AM   #415
Veteran Member

Did a quick test of exif. Results are identical to tcom.
I wonder how they spread this information as I have been asking pentax Aus for an update and got no information. Clearly they do not have this firmware yet. Or they are just testing on europeans to see how effective the fix is.

mike
09-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #416
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Mike, if she loves you, mentioning "GLS" should suffice
hahaha.... I actually LOLed at that comment. She may love me but i don't think she has a soft spot for Pentax!
09-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #417
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I hope I'm wrong but another reason why there was no fuzz about the new firmware could be that the firmware provides a fix for the symptom (no green line) but not for the problem. In other words, it may only implement a patch that makes the green line go away but perhaps at the expense of resolution.

It would be great if someone could have a close look at the part of the image where the green line should appear and check whether the pixels are just duplicates.

For most the outcome won't matter but I'm curious whether (if the firmware indeed provides a fix) Pentax managed to address the problem at its root cause or is "just" applying a band aid.
dont believe this is the case, i get 1 line at 36C and 2 lines at 38C so fix is a lot more elegant than what you suggesting.
and to feed your curiousity and to share happy news with other K7 owners let me copy/paste my post from OCAU forums

QuoteQuote:
well my pentax friends, they done it

i had line starting to show at 36C and 2 lines at 38C.

i been running in video mode recording 9min clips since i installed "new" firmware, had 36C after 2nd or 3rd run and no lines but just to be sure i recorded two more clips (so almost 1hour video recording) got temperature up to 39C, done few shots at 100/400/800/1600 isos and ALL came clean.

i can finally start enjoying my K7 without having to worry about shots being ruined, bit messy start but thumbs up for pentax getting this sorted so fast.
so there we have good example of camera with not just one but 2 lines and with test temperature higher than my last tests and all is perfect

so go grab the new(with old name) firmware and upate your k7
09-02-2009, 04:14 AM   #418
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by schmik Quote
Did a quick test of exif. Results are identical to tcom.
I wonder how they spread this information as I have been asking pentax Aus for an update and got no information. Clearly they do not have this firmware yet. Or they are just testing on europeans to see how effective the fix is.

mike
Pentax using us users as Beta testers......

To be honest, I'm a little bit suspicious of a "software fix"....
I do engineering work in the electronics industry, though nothing related to cameras. A "software fix" often resolves a user issue without addressing the fundamental problem...

Anyway, since we don't really know the root cause of the symptom - the green line, if its gone, its gone, as far as users are concerned..
09-02-2009, 04:31 AM   #419
Forum Member

as i said i had two lines at 38C, my new test shots were at 39C with no lines but since i knew where lines where from the "before" shots i did some serious pixel peeping and there is NOTHING out of place there that i could see at very deep zoom so whatever they done is very good fix.

also i think it is crazy to think pentax is doing anything ugly here that others don't do, every cpu, every gpu got some corrections done and there is nothing wrong with that.
i even remember reading while ago that there was some nikon model with almost identical issues and got firmware fix for it with no side effect of any kind so things are looking good for K7.
09-02-2009, 04:59 AM   #420
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Why don't one of you (I haven't bought this camera yet), who has updated the firmware and found the camera now fine, start a new thread to tell everyone that this works. Spread a little good news that they have taken care of the problem.