Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 02:13 PM   #1

K7 busted sensor strikes production body

Made a discovery last night that bums me out.

Ive managed to get a body with the line through the middle of the sensor like that pre-production K7 was exhibiting.

Spotted it shooting high ISO but its re-producable at every ISO. Heres a couple examples.

ISO 200

Shows the area the crops from... although in this one you can clearly see the line without the crop.

07-08-2009, 02:26 PM   #2

Original Poster
Just quickly having a play before work and i cant get the line to show this morning whereas it was in every shot last night.
Last night i had just been messing with Liveview for a bit (5mins?) before i noticed this line start showing up.
Could Liveview cause this?
07-08-2009, 02:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by bentax Quote
Just quickly having a play before work and i cant get the line to show this morning whereas it was in every shot last night.
Last night i had just been messing with Liveview for a bit (5mins?) before i noticed this line start showing up.
Increase gamma and drop the end points so as to spread out the contrast. Split channels and look at the green channel... Line is very evident. As a guess I suspect (w/ absolutely no proof) that Samsung is stitching some sensors together. Nikon's FF's can exhibit a similar thing (As far as I know most FF sensors are stitched).
Send it in and let Pentax sort it out.....
Blame Samsung.........
07-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #4

ooohh...that doesn't sound good. If you look closely there's also a repeating pattern/banding (I think falkconeye pointed it out).

07-08-2009, 02:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roof_top Quote
ooohh...that doesn't sound good. If you look closely there's also a repeating pattern/banding (I think falkconeye pointed it out).
You got a better eye then me.. I torture tested the image and any pattern (I do see very mild patterning in the blackest patches but really amounts to very little)is weak at best (except for the glaring green line in the almost center), besides most sensors will band when underexposed this much...
07-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #6
Veteran Member

One possibility would be auto hot pixel removal has "eliminated" your line... This all will be interesting...

Last edited by jeffkrol; 07-08-2009 at 04:24 PM.
07-08-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by roof_top Quote
Yes, it was me.

But the repeating pattern every 256px (or was it 128?) isn't there here. I had a VERY careful look for them

Might require a hotter sensor and uniform/defocussed background to make them visible, I guess. I don't think that the sensor is stitched.

Yes, it looks like the middle vertical noise line I got with the preproduction camera after heating the sensor with extensive use of LV / movie capture. Jim (another tester, called sixstring here) saw it first. It needs about 10-30 minutes to develop and disappears after 2 minutes, or so. I only saw it with a 40°C temperature reading in the EXIFs (which could be the max. reading anyway). The manual says that extensive use of LV can produce additional noise. So, this must be it.

Somewhat disappointing that this isn't confined to preproduction.

Anybody else seeing this?

-> Record movie for ~30 min (until you get the red thermometer) and shoot a uniform, defocussed surface at ISO 1600 right afterwards.

The attached image from my preproduction camera shows how difficult it is to spot the secondary lines (this sample is boosted EXTREMELY in contrast!!)
The two secondary lines are at exactly 256px distance from the middle line (image was supersampled to 1 px height!). I couldn't identify ternary lines (at 512px distance). There are no secondary lines in the sample posted by the OP.

Last edited by falconeye; 06-15-2011 at 05:29 AM.
07-08-2009, 06:09 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Bentax, does this vertical line appear if you don't use liveview but with high ISO and slow shutter speed (like say 5 sec or something)?

I am interested to know how this turns up. Thanks
07-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by raider Quote
Bentax, does this vertical line appear if you don't use liveview but with high ISO and slow shutter speed (like say 5 sec or something)?

I am interested to know how this turns up. Thanks
The photo shown was shot without liveview. EXIF intact.
I first noticed the line on a 'liveviewed' shot (after about 5-10 mins liveview/video) but all shots after that were non liveview and still showing the line.

Would be great if others could test this out using steps similar to what falconeye outlined above.
Then we can see if this is a K7 'feature' early in the piece, or just a one off flaw.

Will do some more testing after work and also try that for you raider
07-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Jeffkrol,

Is a green line like that a symptom of a stitched sensor that has a problem?

If they are stitching APS-C sensors, then Samsung must have the tech to make full frame sensors. Am I reading too much into this?
07-08-2009, 07:14 PM   #11
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Just like a car, you never want to buy the first production year model. Anyway, if this is affects more than just your body, Pentax may have seen it's last days. Camera stores like Ritz in the US and Jessops in the UK seem to stop carrying them, and this may well secure that anyone who still is, doesn't anymore.
07-08-2009, 07:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Just like a car, you never want to buy the first production year model. Anyway, if this is affects more than just your body, Pentax may have seen it's last days. Camera stores like Ritz in the US and Jessops in the UK seem to stop carrying them, and this may well secure that anyone who still is, doesn't anymore.
Happy with both my new ford and my K-7

Going by my satisfaction and the majority of happy users I have spoken to so far regarding my ford and my camera brands and models I can see a very bright future for both.
07-08-2009, 08:14 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
Here's a prediction for you: Pentax will outlast Ritz.
07-08-2009, 08:21 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KungPOW Quote
Jeffkrol,

Is a green line like that a symptom of a stitched sensor that has a problem?

If they are stitching APS-C sensors, then Samsung must have the tech to make full frame sensors. Am I reading too much into this?
not sure. I briefly looked at an article by Illya Borg showing the artifacts in a photo due to the stitching of the sensor.
Here is a brief desc. of the technique and a bit on sensor costs:
Chipworks
Anyways I believe the orig samples from Mr. Borg were examned after desaturating the image.. I'll see if I can find it.
The stitching thing is a long shot but it's still a vague possibility. I threw it out here more for discussion then anything real.
07-08-2009, 08:30 PM   #15
Veteran Member

The photo shown was shot without liveview. EXIF intact.
I first noticed the line on a 'liveviewed' shot (after about 5-10 mins liveview/video) but all shots after that were non liveview and still showing the line.

Would be great if others could test this out using steps similar to what falconeye outlined above.
Then we can see if this is a K7 'feature' early in the piece, or just a one off flaw.

Will do some more testing after work and also try that for you raider
Okay. So is it fair to assume that if liveview is not used at all (before the shots) then the stripe will not appear in any ISO and any shutter speeds combination?