Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Full Frame body solution?

I've got a slew of M42 screwmount Takumars & Pentax Kmount manual primes, which I shoot with exclusively (I don't even own an autofocusing, autometering zoom) on my *ist DS bodies, one a dedicated M42 shooter with a permanently mounted Pentax M42 lens adapter. I use separate hand held meters. Such being the case, I haven't been tempted to "move up" to a newer "feature-packed" body over the years. Sure, there are obviously advantages to the newer models, but not enough to entice me to give up my compact bodies and Pentaprism finders I require for manual focusing (in the case of the Pentamirrors on the smaller newer 100/200 line), not to mention the cost of two newer, higher priced bodies. My Holy Grail is the hope (maybe futile) that Pentax will eventually come out with a Full Frame sensor. As I've been hearing the rumors of such a development for many years now (since the development of their first bodies, in fact), I'm beginning to think it may never happen, or that I may be too old & feeble to care anymore when/if it does happen. Consequently, though I am loathe to consider it (I've been a Pentaxian for four decades), I'm stealing a glance at the Full Frame Canon 5D. I notice by quickly perusing my local CraigsList listings on an initial search, four used bodies ranging in price from $1100 - $1400, about the price of a K7. As I've never seriously considered this option before, & haven't come across any members here availing themselves of this option (although I haven't really searched for any before this time), I would like to know of other's opinions of the feasibility of such a path. The only negatives I've heard so far has been the fact that some Pentax lenses touch the mirror on the 5D, necessitating shaving down the mirror a bit (This , I imagine, could be accomplished by my local repairman who takes care of my older film camera CLAs, if necessary). Am I missing something essential that would make this a regrettable choice? Any opinions/experiences/even admonishments are welcome.

07-08-2009, 06:02 PM   #2
Forum Member

Nope, looks like you've got it covered. But by the time Pentax brings out a full frame, the sale of your 5D won't earn you much toward the purchase price. You might want to look around on the intertubes to see what the Canonites have to say about using your lenses on it; whether there are color problems in the corners or light falloff due to the non-telecentric designs of the old lenses.
07-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I made a quick scan of a couple of related threads on a canon forum while I was initially mulling over this idea, & found them to be quite satisfied with the performance &, especially, the build & smooth focusing operation of the screwmount Takumars in particular. Their solution to the problem of the rear of some Takumars touching the mirror, though, seems to be altering the lenses themselves, which is not an option for me. (They don't intend using their Takumars on Pentax bodies) (It seems to be that this problem exists with some screwmount Takumars & all Kmount lenses). They are much more reluctant to discuss shaving down the mirror on the body, but it seems doable, as a couple seem to have done this. I would like to have more information on this process, however, preferably with some shooters who have gone through with this alteration.
07-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jerry Thirsty Quote
But by the time Pentax brings out a full frame, the sale of your 5D won't earn you much toward the purchase price.
By that time, hell might well have frozen over. If that happens, I'll burn my Canon..... I'm not looking forward to using a Canon body in lieu of a Pentax, just a possible move made out of necessity, the only way I'll realize my ambition to enjoy the fruits of Full Frame digital shooting anytime in the foreseeable future.

07-08-2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by raymeedc Quote
By that time, hell might well have frozen over. If that happens, I'll burn my Canon..... I'm not looking forward to using a Canon body in lieu of a Pentax, just a possible move made out of necessity, the only way I'll realize my ambition to enjoy the fruits of Full Frame digital shooting anytime in the foreseeable future.
A smaller viewfinder is the reason why you won't get a K-7?
O_O
w/e mannnn w/eeee
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-news-rumors/65674-so-its-july-7th-where-samsung.html

Read the thread. Might get you excited, although I honestly don't care.
07-08-2009, 07:18 PM   #6
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If the K-7 doesn't sell well, there may never be a full frame.

I'm just concerned that the K-7 is just too close to the K20D and this fiddling with a new 14.6 sensor instead of going higher and full frame may hurt the brand, badly.
07-08-2009, 07:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
A smaller viewfinder is the reason why you won't get a K-7?
Where did you get that assumption? Must be from another thread you've confused with mine.

07-08-2009, 07:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GLXLR Quote
july-7th-where-samsung.html[/url]

Read the thread. Might get you excited, although I honestly don't care.
These rumors have been floating around in one form or another since before the introduction of the *ist series. I'll pay attention to them when it happens.
07-08-2009, 07:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote

I'm just concerned that the K-7 is just too close to the K20D and this fiddling with a new 14.6 sensor instead of going higher and full frame may hurt the brand, badly.
Too bad Pentax doesn't seem to have the same concerns.
07-08-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'll give you a hint. If you like full frame and what you can do and only do with an FF, go ahead and get the 5D.

That's what I did.

But I always considered my K20D may main cam, and now, with my K-7, the 5D is definitely my sub.

Here's what you will find out about the 5D.

The viewfinder is awesome. It's large. Makes manual focusing much easier than the stock screen in a K20D, for example. The K-7 screen is awesome (and it's 100%), so now I'd consider the two screens, neck to neck.

The full frame ness is AWESOME. It's like the resurrection of Jesus H. Put on that 50/1.4 you've had, and you will be like OMG OMG OMG... I can't believe how wide the FOV is.. and look at that DOF!!!!! Basically, anything to do with DoF, it'll look better on the 5D.

The LCD totally, utterly, unbelievably SUCKS HARD on donkey balls. It is a piece of crap. No, seriously, nothing, and I tell you nothing you take will look good on the 5D's LCD. You think you've just wasted your time taking pics, cuz they look like shit. Then, you transfer them over to your computer and they all look fine. Some, even great. Obviously, it's better than the other option (looks great on LCD, crap on PC), but jeez. It really hinders the cretive process, not to mention negates part of digital's advantage, if you can't get a good approximation of what you just shot on the LCD.

The lack of built-in image stabilization totally sucks. You wouldn't miss it if you go from your *ist straight to 5D, but man, the one month during which I only had my 5D to shoot with (sold the K20D, my K-7 arrived just 2 days ago), was at times painful. It's like the old days of film. Take your focal length, invert it, and that's the minimum shutter speed you're gonna want to shoot at (i.e., 1/50s for a 50mm lens). When you're used taking 1/15s and even 1/8s shots with a 50mm lens and often getting good results... well, you see what I'm saying right? So, obviously, high ISO shooting is much better on the 5D than the K20D, but these two pretty much cancel each other out (except for those times you have to shoot high ISO/fast shutter speed so as to reduce motion blur).

And, like you said, you will find that there are crucial lenses that are not compatible without some modding, either shaving the mirror or trimming the rear of the lens. Super Tak 50/1.4? Nope. Hollywood Distagon? Nope. Voigtländer Color-Ultron 50/1.8? Nope.

So, how I use my 5D is very specialized; I do my tilt shift on it; I use my Zuiko and Nikkor lenses on it; I do my spherical panorama on it (with the Sigma 8mm). That's about it. For everythin else, there's Pentax :-)
07-08-2009, 08:57 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Rawhead. That's what I'm looking for, someone with direct experience to let me know about the pitfalls & advantages of such a radical decision. I'll be mulling this over for a while yet to try & figure out if it's worth it for me as I gather as much additional information as I can. In the meantime, I just wish Pentax and/ or Samsung would surprise me & pull the trigger on a Full Frame model, & eliminate all of these frustratingly convoluted compromising solutions!
07-09-2009, 01:15 AM   #12
Inactive Account

I'm kind of in the same boat as raymeedc and wanted to thank everyone for their comments, very enlightening!
07-09-2009, 01:31 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote

You mean, they should try to sell a 2500-3000$ FF camera while abandoning the high-end APS-C market? Are you sure that would be a smart move?

Now, probably I'll be told a FF Pentax camera shouldn't cost more than a second hand, well-used 5D. Whatever