Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2010, 10:35 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zxaar Quote
I did not expect pentax to improve this part so much.
It's Sony actually - Pentax just used their sensor. I'd be surprised if they had any control in its design. They were either smart to drop Samsung or lucky that their relationship with Samsung soured.

05-07-2010, 02:56 AM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
It's Sony actually - Pentax just used their sensor. I'd be surprised if they had any control in its design. They were either smart to drop Samsung or lucky that their relationship with Samsung soured.
yes this is correct but still kx did better sony's cam with same sensor. So at least something they added from their side.
But technically it is sony who did main work.

If i dig at dpr i could find my post where i predicted that sony will give better sensors than canon in future. (this was time sony took over minolta). Few years on, if it is not already true i guess a year or two sony will take high iso sensor crown.
05-07-2010, 02:59 AM   #63
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by robgo2 Quote
Both Focus Magic and Smart Sharpen use a process known as deconvolution, which is different from unsharp mask. DxO Optics Pro also uses it for deblurring of certain lenses. I personally suspect, but have no proof, that Capture One's Clarity tool utilizes deconvolution as well. I love it. C1 merely states that their Clarity works differently from that of other programs (e.g. Lightroom/ACR), and I can vouch for that.

Rob
deconvolution methods are long available to us i guess. Not sure what way things are improved.

Do you have any links those give any technical info like maths behind this.
05-08-2010, 04:40 PM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Lightroom (and therefore probably ACR) work primarily with local contrast for their clarity slider. I'd be curious to find out what Capture One's clarity slider uses, though I must admit that in my own foray with the 30-day trial I didn't like C1's clarity slider at all (it led to a visible degradation in the tonality of files and some detail was destroyed... really not sure why). Maybe I was doing it wrong, who knows.
This is definitely not my experience with C1's Clarity. How it works seems to be a deep, dark secret known only to insiders, but its effects are quite different from those of Clarity in LR/ACR, which I find often makes images ugly, and therefore, must be used very gently, if at all. To my eyes, it seems to be more than local contrast enhancement, which is what you get in LR/ACR.

I have found that Clarity in C1 sometimes causes a reduction in saturation, which I then increase as needed. But it really does make images pop. I usually apply it at a strength ranging from 25 to 75, depending on the particular image. It is an amazingly powerful tool. You just have to watch for clipping of highlights and shadows, which you can recover easily.

Rob

05-09-2010, 03:52 AM   #65
Pentaxian

A quick ISO6400 snap

Here's a low light snap I took while I was calibrating my camera a few weeks back(never got around to looking at it). I thought it would make a good candidate for an ACR v6 high ISO pre-processing evaluation.

K20D, ISO6400, f/7.1, 1/500, NR/OFF

Rare wild pony

Larger sized image(for your pixel peeping pleasure...)

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-09-2010 at 02:36 PM.
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM   #66
Pentaxian

Here is another low light, high ISO w/slow shutter(1/60) snap. This one was taken under a single utility light in my workshop(on my tablesaw).

META: K20D, ISO4000, 1/60, f5.6, NR/OFF

PS. JPEG compression is higher than ave. in this scene, so there are artifacts in a number of areas.

What stands-out here is that the K20D can output uncompromisable high ISO images in contrast to it's successor. That is to say that we can print sharp clear and clean images all the way "up to" ISO6400(not black and whites, no thumbnail sized images, no compromises).
05-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
i always laugh when i see comparison betw two cameras at the same iso and... different WB. Jusst make yourselves some simple test. Take one picture process it twice with different WB you can ease see the difference at the noise department. the more redish pictures (canikons) the less noise one can see.... Thats because one is wander about increase of k7 noise - wb is more accurate hence more blueish hence with more noise. k7 is much better camera than k20 including noises (at the same WB settings) who claims different isn't true pentax believer

Last edited by filorp; 05-09-2010 at 04:09 PM.
05-10-2010, 12:09 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Another K20D ISO6400 Set

All images taken at ISO6400 and preprocessed in ACR6/CS5
META: K20D, RAW, ISO6400, 28mm, f/5.6, 1/60 - 1/140

click on image for full size

PP TOOLS USED:
  • GordonB's Magenta Cast remover
  • Niksoft Define - Debanding software
  • Adobe Bridge and Photoshop CS5
  • Topaz Denoise 4

Thanks for looking.
JB

Last edited by JohnBee; 05-10-2010 at 01:29 AM.
05-10-2010, 04:30 AM   #69
Veteran Member

john bee can you show to us original photos from before processing so we can see the impact of your noise reduction skills?
05-10-2010, 04:34 AM   #70
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
k7 is much better camera than k20 including noises (at the same WB settings) who claims different isn't true pentax believer
I can't see how this could be true when DPR and DXOMark have both measured the opposite. The K-7 is a better camera, but the four-channel sensor is a bit noisier.
05-10-2010, 04:55 AM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
I can't see how this could be true when DPR and DXOMark have both measured the opposite. The K-7 is a better camera, but the four-channel sensor is a bit noisier.
measuring such things as noise level or resolution is very complex thing... i mean it... is much more complex than imatest makers can imagine..
05-10-2010, 10:39 AM   #72
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
john bee can you show to us original photos from before processing so we can see the impact of your noise reduction skills?
I can, and I will...

I have compiled data from a comprehensive NR evaluation conducted over the weekend, and I'll be posting the original PEF's used in these examples(so everyone can see first hand what were looking at).
05-10-2010, 04:24 PM   #73
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnBee Quote
I can, and I will...
it doesnt has to be raw file.... just some jpg converted straight from the raw without processing.... did i say magic word: please?