Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-24-2009, 02:31 PM   #1

K-7 Speculations (moved over from review section)

You can see a full review of the camera at Pentax K-7 Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

They discuss the comparisons of the camera to the K20D

05-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
K-7 Speculations (moved over from review section)

The K7 sound's like quite a camera. I noted in the specifications that it shoots 30 fps in 1536x1024 as its highest motion resolution although it is being touted as having 1080i capability. Does anyone know yet if it shoots a true 1920x1080 30i format, or is this interpolated from the 1536x1024 frame?
05-24-2009, 08:30 PM   #3

sorry folks, i don't see a reason to switch from my K10D,or people with a K20D to switch:ugh:
i was hoping for more ---------------------????????????
05-25-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by sctybear Quote
You can see a full review of the camera at Pentax K-7 Hands-on Preview: 1. Introduction: Digital Photography Review

They discuss the comparisons of the camera to the K20D
That's not a full review. It's a preview. It will be months before the full review is done on dpreview. It certainly will not be before the camera is released.

05-25-2009, 06:12 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K7 is certainly impressive on paper. I have little doubt that it will also be quite impressive when it's finally reviewed. Reading about the new K7 reminds me of why I began shooting with Pentax in the first place. Pentax has always done a great job of giving super value for the money. I haven't read any comments about the fact that the new camera comes in at the same price that the K20D started at, but considering all the upgrades, that is quite an accomplishment and one that makes the K7 an even more impressive camera.

I look forward to reading the reviews when they come out and to handling one at a local camera shop. At that point I will make the decision on whether to upgrade from my K10D. All the top of the line Pentax cameras are built like tanks, so it's not a matter of having worn it out yet, but I will admit that some of the new features are tempting. I have one more expensive lens to purchase and that will probably come first anyway, but after that I think I will probably be in the market for a new K7.
05-26-2009, 11:41 AM   #6

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
The K7 sound's like quite a camera. I noted in the specifications that it shoots 30 fps in 1536x1024 as its highest motion resolution although it is being touted as having 1080i capability. Does anyone know yet if it shoots a true 1920x1080 30i format, or is this interpolated from the 1536x1024 frame?
The following paragraph is quote from POPPHOTO:

"The K-7 will capture video at the default standard of 1280x720 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536x1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or 640x416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), all shot at 30 frames per second."

The main draw of the K-7 to me is:

Die cast body,
Compact size,
Lower noise?

Can't buy it yet.

Steve N
05-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #7

K7

Hello All,

Didn't see this bit about the upcoming K7 until after I'd queried Adam about any new Pentax cameras.

I'm elated and disappointed about the K7 at the self-same time: elated at some very clear and distinct technical improvements over both the K10D (which I own) and the K20D (which I do not own); particularly the doubling of shutter speed top range, while actually making use of ISO's at 800 and above functional and useful in Real World situations.

I shoot Rodeos, Mud Bog Events, and other actions sports, and much of the time at low light/very low light levels, and do so w/o extra lighting.

The ability to shoot at ISO 800 at 1/2000 or higher is REALLY exciting (especially when I've got a hot bull and a just as hot Bull Rider fighting it out for victory at a Rodeo) to me......should the K7 allow me to move to ISO 1600 and maintain at least a 1/2000 w/o significant Noise, would well and truly be the Feline's Vocalization!!!!

Anywho.....I like what I see, but I'd like it even better if they offered a K7 model w/o the idiot Video Mode (I'm NOT into shooting pro video at all....if I were, I'd fork out $2k or $3k for a serious SONY.....Pentax needs to stay focused on DSLR/35mm Tech Stream and NOT video!!!!!

I'm also disappointed that Pentax didn't move up to the 19Mp-22Mp range, which is what I'd been waiting for....something to at least compete with the Nikanons......I'd be willing to fork out $2k for a K7 with the specs it has now, but in the pixel range I mentioned above, with a few more attributes (MUCH faster AF in lenses, perhaps with a new line of AF lenses with motors in the glass, to surpass the Nikanons in speed (you'd be amazed at how fast a bull can spin/change direction, when trying to loft a Bull Rider from his back).

Anywho...if the K7 is the only choice I've got in the Pentax line, then I'll have to stick with it........I refuse to transition to the Sony DSLR, even though it has a model in the pixel range I desire: the Pentax is much more survivable while shooting, in the environs in which I shoot (really dusty/rainy/wet conditions).

I look forward to reading more of your posts on the K7.

Cheers.

Neanderthal
05-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by bob383 Quote
sorry folks, i don't see a reason to switch from my K10D,or people with a K20D to switch:ugh:
i was hoping for more ---------------------????????????
What were you hoping for?

QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote

"The K-7 will capture video at the default standard of 1280x720 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio (equivalent to 720p), 1536x1024 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio, or 640x416 resolution with a 3:2 aspect ratio (equivalent to VGA quality), all shot at 30 frames per second."

Die cast body,
Compact size,
Lower noise?

Can't buy it yet.

Steve N
Die cast body? Have you had a problem with the strength of the K10D/K20D body? I'm pretty sure it's strong enough for almost anything. That the insides will break before the body, so what's the point of a stronger body then if the insides break first?

QuoteOriginally posted by Neanderthal75 Quote

I'm also disappointed that Pentax didn't move up to the 19Mp-22Mp range, which is what I'd been waiting for....something to at least compete with the Nikanons......I'd be willing to fork out $2k for a K7 with the specs it has now, but in the pixel range I mentioned above, with a few more attributes (MUCH faster AF in lenses, perhaps with a new line of AF lenses with motors in the glass, to surpass the Nikanons in speed (you'd be amazed at how fast a bull can spin/change direction, when trying to loft a Bull Rider from his back).

Anywho...if the K7 is the only choice I've got in the Pentax line, then I'll have to stick with it........I refuse to transition to the Sony DSLR, even though it has a model in the pixel range I desire: the Pentax is much more survivable while shooting, in the environs in which I shoot (really dusty/rainy/wet conditions).

I look forward to reading more of your posts on the K7.

Cheers.

Neanderthal
I'm glad there is no more resolution. The way I see it, diffraction makes it pointless with a much higher resolution on an APS-C sensor if you're after image qualtity, not just megapixels. And what would you ever need more megapixels for? You can print big already with 10 megapixels, or is it the ability to crop you're thinking about?

Anyhow. I thought this thread was about K-7 experience, not a discussion about the camera.

05-29-2009, 07:21 PM   #9

I noticed that using old lenses you have to meter wide open. I find this a little odd, with so many people using them. My Olympus E-500 meters fine with the PENTAX 50mm M f1.7 using an adapter, no matter what apeture I have set on the lense. Exposure is right on, though as you stop hown the VF gets dimmer.(expected). I also tried a 135mm f 2.8 of another brand (K mount) and it worked the same.

Anyone put some light on the subject? May I'm just missing something. Not unusual.

Steve N
06-07-2009, 07:40 PM   #10

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snkenai Quote

Die cast body,
Compact size,
Lower noise?

Can't buy it yet.

Steve N
You're quite right Steve. The 1080i claim came out with some later specifications. I think my question is answered - the K-7 doesn't shoot true 1080 format. 1080 professional format is 16:9 only and 3:2 in 1080 is a really odd thing (might be to fit some old computer monitor formats). The 720p claim is legit though but I'm surprised not to see a 24fps option. Another video mode drawback of the K-7 is autofocus is disabled in that mode. Not a big deal though since I would probably go with a dedicated video camera if I were going to shoot video, but it would be nice to have a true 1080i mode and 24 fps capability with the K-7 in a pinch.
Bob D.

Last edited by Bob 256; 06-07-2009 at 07:45 PM.
06-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

I just noticed a most elegant change in the body hardware. They went back to the rounded posts for the neck strap attachment points. Those ugly, flat brackets just never looked or worked right for me.

Reason enough to get one right there!

H2
06-10-2009, 09:18 PM   #12

QuoteOriginally posted by Neanderthal75 Quote
What??? It does compete with the Nikanons... The only Nikon with more than 12 megapixels is the new D3x, which retails for 8 grand. And none of the consumer level canons have more that 15 megapixels. Sony's upcoming replacement for the A350, the A380, will have 14.2 MP. So I think 14.6 competes just fine. Pentax isn't stupid enough to put more mega pixels into an APS-C sensor when they have enough problems keeping the noise levels down on the systems they already produce. None of the other companies are either. 15MP is about as much as an APS-C sensor can handle with the current technology.

I would have much preferred a 12MP K-7 with improved noise control. Then it might have been able to come close to competing with the D300. But even then not really...

I hate Nikon fans, they annoy me for some reason, so I think it's sad that NO company, canon or otherwise, has made a camera that can compete with it at that price point.

As for the K-7, I would love to love it, so that I could invest in more pentax primes, but until I see that it has significantly improved focusing (speed and accuracy) as well as much better noise control, I'm simply not getting anything over my K10D. I'll just save my cash and buy a 5DmkII.
06-12-2009, 01:59 PM   #13

Guys, we are in a review section!

It would be nice if you could please keep your comments based on your time with a K-7 and share your experiences! Then if you have any complaints, please, by all means, voice them then!

The K-7 is on a completely different level for a Pentax DSLR, and can very much compete with it's competition. It is a joy to hold, the 'slightly smaller than a K20D' size fits it well. It feels solid, responsive, fast and very quiet for a DSLR.

The larger 3" LCD has 4 times the resolution than the K10/K20, and just helps to make the whole user experience that much better. The menu structure is very familiar, yet also brought upto date with what I would call a favourites screen where most of the commonly used shooting options are available.

The video at 720P looks great on our 40" LCD HDTV. It's fantastic to have that facility available at the flick of a switch. To put it another way, having a fully lens interchangeable, HD, weather proofed camcorder available at your fingertips saves you having to buy and carry around a seperate camcorder / batteries etc. Absolutely brilliant.

The point that really hammered it home for me was when I picked up the K10 to take a comparison shot of the K-7 next to the K-20. It just felt.. well.. clunky, slow, noisy & old fashioned. So much so that I just put the camera down and decided I couldn't be bothered, there's plenty of comparison photos on the net, and I just wanted to carry on using the K-7.

It's one hell of a camera, and I really do suggest that you should get one in your hands. Only then will you realise what a special little camera it is.
06-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loffy Quote
Can enyone post a pic of k7 with D-BG4 battery grip
I just ran across this blog with the K-7 gripped:

NED BUNNELL: D-BG4 Battery Grip
05-07-2010, 12:43 PM   #15
Forum Member

Hello!

I upgraded from a Samsung GX-10 to a K7 for 3 main reasons - the increased noise control, improved autofocus and the faster shooting speed.

I've used it for about a year now, mainly doing sport photography, and the camera is fantastic. It is great to hold, incredibly light and a joy to use. Metering is spot on and the autofocus, compared to the GX-10, is much faster and more responsive. I used to miss shots regularly because the GX-10's autofocus wouldn't lock on in time - not any more.

I recently did a football match which involved taking team photos. I brought the GX-10 with the 16-50mm f/2.8 for this purpose. It was the first time I'd used it since owning the K7 and the difference was incredible. Much heavier, slower, clunkier and not a patch on the K7.

I thought the GX-10 was a great camera until I used the K7!

If you try, you'll buy!

Cheers,

Matthew.