Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 02:21 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-7 Movie tests with 4 different primes

Hey everyone.

I created some movies testing the DOF using the aperture ring and focusing with various prime lenses that I hope some people may find interesting. The DOF tests were done at the minimum and maximum focusing distances.

The aperture ring works manually in movie mode, but you need to wait for the camera to adjust the gain for the new lighting parameters.

FA35, FA43, FA50 1.4 and lastly the FA77 were used.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Lens Movie Tests - a set on Flickr

07-09-2009, 02:38 PM   #2
Forum Member

Very cool. Thanks for this. I was going to try the same thing whenever I got my K-7. (Just to try to get a handle on how to manipulate DoF with a DSLR in movie mode. Great stuff and thanks for taking the time.

Sincerely,
07-09-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Neato!

I only briefly tried the video function with the 77ltd. Not sure if I'll use the feature much, but I'm gonna give it a go with the 10-17FE to see what I can come up with.

c[_]
07-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Joseph D. Quote
Very cool. Thanks for this. I was going to try the same thing whenever I got my K-7. (Just to try to get a handle on how to manipulate DoF with a DSLR in movie mode. Great stuff and thanks for taking the time.

Sincerely,
Thank you!

Definitely took me enough time to upload the videos.. over 7 hours to upload 1.1 gigs at 50kbps upload. :ugh:

Can't wait to go back to school to use the University's amazing fiber line.

07-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Very neat. I was wondering how video recorded at max aperture would change as focus point changed.

Obviously, shooting video at wider apertures is a totally different beast than with the P&S type of video clips and/or video cameras!
07-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #6
Igilligan

Thanks so much for these tests... the video mode is something I am definitely interested in.

I have a question... as you increase the aperture with each click. The initial exposure looks better, (more natural) than when the camera gains up for the new Ap, it blows out again.

Can you exp compensate or adjust metering in Video mode... It looks like a -1 would have been great.
07-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

sweet tests, thanks for posting!
i'm assuming when you say "sweet fiber line" you're not talking about the University of Waterloo in Canada

and what igilligan said above too ... would be interested ^^

07-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Great!
Thank you
07-10-2009, 06:52 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Igilligan Quote
Thanks so much for these tests... the video mode is something I am definitely interested in.

I have a question... as you increase the aperture with each click. The initial exposure looks better, (more natural) than when the camera gains up for the new Ap, it blows out again.

Can you exp compensate or adjust metering in Video mode... It looks like a -1 would have been great.

Yes you can, needs to be set before you start recording and can't be changed during recording.

I'll admit I was at +1 exposure compensation for these videos.. I don't know why but I thought it would be a good idea at the time.....

Interesting enough though - you can set AE-L before recording and then turn it off during. That is what I did at the 00:44 mark (countdown) in the following video: First K-7 Movie on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
07-10-2009, 06:53 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by k100d Quote
sweet tests, thanks for posting!
i'm assuming when you say "sweet fiber line" you're not talking about the University of Waterloo in Canada

and what igilligan said above too ... would be interested ^^

lol, yeah indeed I am talking about the University of Waterloo.. unfortunately, I'll have to leave beautiful BC ....
07-10-2009, 07:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

OP, good effort. This thread is definitely not for those who keep harping that they don't need video. I feel it opens up a lot of new creative possibilities but I'm probably the minority here.
07-11-2009, 08:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Thanks for these videos! It's good to see how the aperture changes cause the camera to change the exposure automagically. I'm interested to see what people make of the camera capability.

Any idea of how the video function uses up the battery charge?

I've added you on flickr as a contact to see what else you'll come up with over time.
07-12-2009, 12:00 PM   #13

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
OP, good effort. This thread is definitely not for those who keep harping that they don't need video.
Dang, I still don't feel I need video but I'm definitely jealous of the ability

Haven't even received my first Pentax in the mail and already I'm lusting after the K7
07-13-2009, 07:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by loafer Quote
lol, yeah indeed I am talking about the University of Waterloo.. unfortunately, I'll have to leave beautiful BC ....
where in waterloo is there a sweet fiber line?! the school internet was such a slug
07-13-2009, 08:51 AM   #15
Forum Member

Hello
I find your video test verry interresting.
I tink its a great way for new photographer to understand focus VS DOF....
I must add... Im amazed by the thin DOF of the 77 ltd.
Thanks for sharing.
marc