Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 07:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
ok, a couple of quick snaps and first impression is, "wow!"

...... Call me crazy but images seem to be a bit hot - actually wanting to dial almost -1 ev compensation depending on the shot.....

So far so good...more later.
I'm still on test shots right now, but my feel is the K-7 has addressed (partly) the frequent complaint that "Pentax underexposes".
No, the shots are not overexposed, but they tend to be exposed slightly more to the right and look brighter compared to a K10D or K100D.

Unfortunately (perhaps ?) you may find this Pentax behaves more like a Canikon
than previous models.

07-10-2009, 07:02 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

Unfortunately (perhaps ?) you may find this Pentax behaves more like a Canikon
than previous models.
Now there's a disturbing thought. Does that mean that I can get a Canikon hat and Canikon shirt to wear when I'm shooting pictures of the brick wall outside my house?
07-10-2009, 07:07 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Even shooting RAW, EV would have an impact because it affects how the camera meters and sets the basic exposure, which even determines the RAW image.

There is also something else about the image texture and color...I don't know what it is, but I like it. Saturation? Hue? The image is somehow more dynamic.
07-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
Even shooting RAW, EV would have an impact because it affects how the camera meters and sets the basic exposure, which even determines the RAW image.

There is also something else about the image texture and color...I don't know what it is, but I like it. Saturation? Hue? The image is somehow more dynamic.
Yeah, I know that the ev isn't a jpg artifact. What is interesting is that the histograms look "better" at 0ev but the image looks better to me at -0.7. Part of it is getting used to a new tool...I have to say that I had gotten used to the location of buttons on the K20d, and also usually knew what something was going to look like when I pushed the shutter.

There does seem to be a bit more 3D character to the images. I"m not sure if that is my imagination, wishful thinking, or if tweaks to the sensor and firmware have resulted in a bit more DR and subtlety.

07-11-2009, 12:44 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I agree my images like yours seem a little "hot" as you say.

I wonder. You know reviews of Pentax DSLRs esp. on that other forum often complained about the JPGs being a little dull. Maybe they've upped the exposure values to provide "hotter" JPEG images?

Love that DA*50-135. Great camera to use it with. I've been playing with the two new WR lenses.
How is the 50 to 200 WR lens. After playing with the 18 - 55 WR I am very tempted to go for the longer sibling.
07-11-2009, 02:16 AM   #21

ok, a couple of quick snaps and first impression is, "wow!"

Second impression after looking at some shots is, "hmm." Call me crazy but images seem to be a bit hot - actually wanting to dial almost -1 ev compensation depending on the shot.
default profile is set on bright for me. I changed it to natural. Maybe that's the cause ?
07-11-2009, 02:28 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
default profile is set on bright for me. I changed it to natural. Maybe that's the cause ?
Did the same myself

Neil
07-11-2009, 02:30 AM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eva2000 Quote
Yup, I found that I prefer "Natural" profile on the K-7, though I had set it to "Bright" on the K100D.
Just a matter of personal taste with photos.

07-11-2009, 07:58 AM   #24

My first test
1 ) The control of the AF point.
With the K20 it is possible to program the AF button to put back the red dot to center. With the k7d it's not possible. in the next firmware of k7d i realy wish this feature again. I lose time in the action. And i need to control the AF point by default.

2 ) The play button and the live view button.
the possibility to switch the live view button by the play button. Because it is better for me to have the control of the play button with one hand. I don't need the live view close to my thumb. But the play button yes.

Have fun gang !!
07-11-2009, 08:29 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It was on "bright" but that shouldn't make a difference for raw, just in-camera jpg. I switched it to "natural" and that looks better to me on the camera display. I found that I needed to dial in a big of negative ev to get the exposure that I prefer.
07-11-2009, 04:00 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about green button metering with "M" lenses? Better than the K10 and K20?
08-04-2009, 05:36 PM   #27
Pentaxian

It was on "bright" but that shouldn't make a difference for raw, just in-camera jpg.
Depends on whether you let the RAW developer use the camera settings (default?). I guess, though, that you don't.

I've read elsewhere that you returned your K-7 because you didn't like the ergonomics. Was it the grip? The position of the AF button? What was it you didn't like?
08-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #28
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
Depends on whether you let the RAW developer use the camera settings (default?). I guess, though, that you don't.

I've read elsewhere that you returned your K-7 because you didn't like the ergonomics. Was it the grip? The position of the AF button? What was it you didn't like?
I detailed my ergo issues in a couple different threads. Bottom line is that for me the vertical size is too small and I don't like the loss of the space on the left side (ie the new left-justified screen). The buttons are smaller and my big hands aren't crazy about that as well. I don't use the AF button so I can't comment on that. I also didn't like the balance with 31ltd or 50-135. I do however think it is a perfect mate for 15/21/35/40/70 DA ltd lenses.

But ergos are not universal - what works for one might not work for another.
08-04-2009, 07:51 PM   #29
Pentaxian

I detailed my ergo issues in a couple different threads.
I tried to chase these up before I posted here, with varying success.

But thanks for your summary!
08-05-2009, 05:58 AM   #30
Pentaxian

And for size (K20d with 16-45, K7 with 50-135*)

Wow! That is a big size difference, especially for the K-7 being a replacement for the K20D. I guess I never really saw what a K20D in person looks like before, now I have a good idea.