Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 10:34 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 first impressions

The brown truck showed up. Waiting for the battery to charge, but a critical aspect to me is how it fits in the hand. So far so good - much deeper cut into the body compared to the K20d. I'll have to carry it for a longer period but feels like it'll work. Certainly a bit bigger than the G1 which is a good thing. My pinkie can either sit underneath of slightly on the ridge. I look forward to street use with small primes.

The 43/1.9 is a very nice fit as is the 35ltd. Pics later.

07-10-2009, 10:53 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know your battery is charging and all, but could you go ahead and tell us how it does on high ISO noise? I also wonder how fast the AF is, esp. with the assist lamp.

I realize, of course, that lacking a battery, all your results will be at best estimates, but they will be conservative ones and we can at least know we'll get BETTER results with a battery in the camera...

..like you, I"m watching that little green light...
07-10-2009, 10:55 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lawsonstone Quote
I know your battery is charging and all, but could you go ahead and tell us how it does on high ISO noise? I also wonder how fast the AF is, esp. with the assist lamp.

I realize, of course, that lacking a battery, all your results will be at best estimates, but they will be conservative ones and we can at least know we'll get BETTER results with a battery in the camera...

The AF is ALOT faster than the K20D, and will lock accurately in lower light faster before the AF green laser beam kicks in. The K7 makes the K20D feel old and slow, really it does.

Now Leave him to charge his battery, He's going to be all to eager to try it out
07-10-2009, 10:58 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I know...I was kidding around with nostatic...he seems to be one of the few around here who has a real sense of humor. A lot of folks seem to have their "Irony and Satire Detector" in the shop for calibration.

07-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #5
Veteran Member

A lot of folks seem to have their "Irony and Satire Detector" in the shop for calibration.
HAHA

you mean need to take it to the shop for calibration more like it.
07-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I haven't put the battery in but I can already tell that there is no noise up to ISO 128000 and the AF locks before I touch the camera.

No wait. That's not right. The noise is unacceptable even at ISO 100 and the AF hunts even in broad daylight.

Oh wait, I was channeling RH there. Apologies...let me smash my head against the wall a few times to dislodge the last bit of sense that I have.

(minutes later)

This camera sucks. I want a Canikon.
07-10-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Hey when my battery was charging I hooked it up to my K10D's power adapter to the wall so I could play with it so you never know

nostatic I can't see the 2 images at the first post. Not sure if its just me thou.

07-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I haven't put the battery in but I can already tell that there is no noise up to ISO 128000 and the AF locks before I touch the camera.

No wait. That's not right. The noise is unacceptable even at ISO 100 and the AF hunts even in broad daylight.

Oh wait, I was channeling RH there. Apologies...let me smash my head against the wall a few times to dislodge the last bit of sense that I have.

(minutes later)

This camera sucks. I want a Canikon.
please don't smash your head against the wall yet
please tell us more

Dave
07-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Mine just arrived with minimal battery charge. I couldn't resist and took a few quick shots and WOW! I was not that psyched to get the K7, and all i can say is if you have the $s, do the deal. Definitely worth it! The ISO performance is very similar to the K20D (had hoped for a dramatic improvement) but... faster AF (my f*300 locks on sooo much faster) better controls, faster frame rate (it is very fast compared to K20) better live view, soooo quiet, mirror lock up... just go get one! C'mon charger, get that battery juiced!

Last edited by ivoire; 07-10-2009 at 01:55 PM.
07-10-2009, 01:30 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Yup, it's great. On top of the obvious improvements, one other nice little improvement I noticed in the menus that should come in handy is an option to have a single push of the button on an IR remote cause the shutter to open in bulb mode, and have the second press of the button close the shutter.

Other observations: ISO 1600 looks about as good as ISO 400 on my K10D; the lateral CA correction tool seems to work pretty well with my DA* 16-50mm, but the distortion correction leaves some even stranger distortion behind; the body is nice and small, it's surprising really, but my fingers are more cramped than they are on my K10D, but only because I have really big hands and long fingers.
07-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Battery is fully charged, so i shot with video. I used a 16gb sdhc class 4 sandisk card and had no trouble shooting a 9 minute video of birds flying in and out to feed. now its obvious that some quality video editing software will be needed in the near future. I didn't think i would use the video feature but when i look back at my last florida trip, i wish i had this camera. a 9ft female alligator was guarding her nest. as i rounded a corner, there she was 12 ft away on the bank. she charged off the bank and dove under my canoe! would have been an awesome capture.
07-10-2009, 04:45 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, a couple of quick snaps and first impression is, "wow!"

Second impression after looking at some shots is, "hmm." Call me crazy but images seem to be a bit hot - actually wanting to dial almost -1 ev compensation depending on the shot.

Am outputting another project right now and will post a few examples after that is done. The short story is that the files look beautiful. Shooting DNG raw and bringing into Aperture, exposure, wb, etc is very nice. I liked my FA ltds before but now it is sick. And while there is noise (I'm shooting my typical indoor/poor light conditions), I like the look. A very nice grain.

AF seems snappier, best with FA ltd. 50-135* isn't that much faster. On quick check accuracy seems better but I haven't had a chance to go through a look too much. But the colors are awesome. Very nice 3D look with the 31 and 43 and it is quite rich without being oversaturated. And this is with no pp, just raw into Aperture.

So far so good...more later.

Last edited by nostatic; 07-10-2009 at 06:02 PM.
07-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
ok, a few shots. This is my typical "environment" which is low light handheld nonsense. This is my living room table (yes, a mess at the moment) that I've shot many a time. I particularly like the color of the candle holders so I like to use this to get a feel for gear. Please note that these are iso 800/1600 and as slow as 1/5 sec wide open. That's how dark this is. AF was quick and accurate. (output jpgs ended up a little washed out)

43ltd

43ltd crop

31ltd

31ltd crop

77ltd

77ltd crop

I particularly like the way these convert to b&w - I like the grain (this is iso 800)

And for size (K20d with 16-45, K7 with 50-135*)

Last edited by nostatic; 07-10-2009 at 06:02 PM.
07-10-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree my images like yours seem a little "hot" as you say.

I wonder. You know reviews of Pentax DSLRs esp. on that other forum often complained about the JPGs being a little dull. Maybe they've upped the exposure values to provide "hotter" JPEG images?

Love that DA*50-135. Great camera to use it with. I've been playing with the two new WR lenses.
07-10-2009, 06:32 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It definitely needs at least -0.3ev - there is a significant jump from 0 to -0.3. Not so much from -0.3 to -0.7 Maybe they did make 0 hotter to give a "brighter" image (I'm shooting raw though). Now I just need it to go to 11...

Mildly disturbing as I don't like to mess with exposure compensation though if it is consistent and I just leave it at -0.3 or -0.7 I suppose it is fine. The K20d is fine at 0. That said I prefer a darker image so it might just be my eyes. But my 77mm shots look washed out, and normally that lens is magic. Oddly enough the 43 really shines on the K7 where it struggled some on the K20d. Go figure...