Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 12:36 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Thinking of purchasing a new K20D

I have owned many entry level DSLRs from other brands. I have always wanted a Pentax for some reason. At the current price level, now seems like the best time to make the jump. I have found a brand new K20D with kit lens for 640.00 with 3 year warranty.

My main concerns are the autofocus in low light and its low light capability in general. I am not a landscape photographer at all and mainly take pictures of my family, often in indoor low light environments such as churches and theatres. I guess it might depend on the lens (something like an 85mm F1.8 would be helpful). Trying a K20 locally is not possible since no one has it. That's my main hesitation.

07-10-2009, 02:25 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day and welcome to the forum.
If blistering fast AF is what you're after, the K20D may disappoint you.
Having said that, there are hundreds of K20D owners here (myself included) who don't find the AF much of a limitation, even when trying to take fast-moving objects like children.

The question then arises: how much would you be willing to spend for a dSLR with fast AF?
You'll find that any meaningful gain in AF speed translates to significant price increases in cams like the Canon 50D, 5DMkII, Nikon D90, D300.

The next suggestion would be to try the new K-7 (if you can test drive one somewhere)...
Its AF *is* significantly faster than the K20D, and has features that rivals cams twice to three times its price.

All the best in your decision!
07-10-2009, 05:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'm a new K20 owner and it's WAY better than my K100DS.

For the $640 i'd say jump at the opertunity.
07-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I have a K20D and I LOVE it!!!

you are welcome to watch my pictures on my flickr page .
just follow the link on my signature.

07-10-2009, 06:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigCTM Quote
I have owned many entry level DSLRs from other brands. I have always wanted a Pentax for some reason. At the current price level, now seems like the best time to make the jump. I have found a brand new K20D with kit lens for 640.00 with 3 year warranty.

My main concerns are the autofocus in low light and its low light capability in general. I am not a landscape photographer at all and mainly take pictures of my family, often in indoor low light environments such as churches and theatres. I guess it might depend on the lens (something like an 85mm F1.8 would be helpful). Trying a K20 locally is not possible since no one has it. That's my main hesitation.
The K20D at current prices offers fantastic value, and its an excellent camera. The K20D's autofocus is "adequate", especially if you have a fast prime like the one you quoted. The exception is poorly lit interiors, where it will struggle compared to some other brands.

If low-light autofocus and general low-light capability are important to you, I would suggest you try out the new K-7.
a. It simply has a more sensitive AF in low-light
b. Focus Assist lamp for almost complete darkness
c. Much improved SR at slow-shutter speeds. This won't help with moving subjects, but for other shots, this is great.
Took a few shots in a dimly lit room last night, and I was amazed at how good the the K-7's SR is.
d. High-ISO performance is about the same as the K20D.

If Super fast AF is important to you....look for other brands...honestly.
07-10-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a K20D, and I think it's an incredible camera. IQ is excellent and performance per dollar is untouchable. If low-light candids are your goal, and you like the K20D, I'd suggest that you get primes. You can get a 50mm 1.4 for around $200+ dollars, and it's a GREAT low-light lens. You can turn on SR, and shoot in your average living room with no flash at ISO 800 or so. And people will ask you "How do you get such amazing pictures?"
07-10-2009, 06:24 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
I have a K20D, and I think it's an incredible camera. IQ is excellent and performance per dollar is untouchable. If low-light candids are your goal, and you like the K20D, I'd suggest that you get primes. You can get a 50mm 1.4 for around $200+ dollars, and it's a GREAT low-light lens. You can turn on SR, and shoot in your average living room with no flash at ISO 800 or so. And people will ask you "How do you get such amazing pictures?"
My 43 Ltd. has turned into focusing "god" on my K20 as compared to using it on my K100DS.

07-11-2009, 03:31 AM   #8

Photos: Albums
User comments

GO TO DPREVIEW'S PENTAX SLR FORUM. THEN TYPE IN THE SEARCH WINDOW THE FOLLOWING K20 USER COMMENTS . MANY COMMENT THREADS WILL BE AVAILABLE. THEN TYPE K20 AF ASSIST,K20 PROBLEMS-- WELL YOU GET THE POINT.
THANKS AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!! ALSO USE THE FOLLOWING INFO IF NEEDED

Dear Mr. Downs,

Thank you for contacting Pentax.

Any K20D purchased between October, 2008 and July 31, 2009 from an authorized Pentax dealer in the US qualifies for a free upgrade to the 3 yr. Pentax Extended Warranty. If you did not receive your warranty card from the dealer you can obtain one from Pentax by emailing (pentaxinfo@pentax.com) or faxing (919-501-7575) a copy of your dated proof of purchase (sales receipt, credit card statement, order confirmation, packing slip, etc.) along with your name and address to Pentax, Attn.: K20D Ext. Warranty. Upon receipt of your warranty card you will need to register your warranty control number with your name, address and camera's serial number by going to this website:
Pentax U.S.A., Inc. - Extended Warranty Registration
OR by calling the technical support center at the number below.

If you are in need of further assistance, please respond to this email or call our technical support center at 800-877-0155.

If you would like to participate in our new Pentax Survey, please call 1-800-350-3891.

Sincerely,
Randall Schumacher
Pentax Imaging Technical Support
07-11-2009, 05:33 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
I'm a new K20 owner and it's WAY better than my K100DS.

For the $640 i'd say jump at the opertunity.
Ditto this.
07-11-2009, 02:10 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by RubyT Quote
Ditto this.
Who is selling it for this price? I'd like to know since I'm in the market for one too.

or is this one of those deals where you have to know someone.
07-11-2009, 08:55 PM   #11

I have a k20d. Indoors in low light the AF is decent if your subjects aren't fast moving. So, having said that, If you are shooting young kids playing or something like that the k20 might give you problems, but other than that the AF is fine in low light
07-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slappy76 Quote
Who is selling it for this price? I'd like to know since I'm in the market for one too.

or is this one of those deals where you have to know someone.
WalMart was selling the body for $599 (?) recently... probably sold out now.

Adorama sells the body for $630 (ignore the price on the webpage and add to the shopping cart) now.
07-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigCTM Quote
My main concerns are the autofocus in low light and its low light capability in general. I am not a landscape photographer at all and mainly take pictures of my family, often in indoor low light environments such as churches and theatres. I guess it might depend on the lens (something like an 85mm F1.8 would be helpful).
AF in a low light (+you most probably will have artificial light there, as it is indoors) and high ISO is not the where K20D shines... but do not exect budget dSLR to perform nicely in such situations... as you do not have a collection of lims and stars then consider finding $2300 (newegg.com for example) to buy Nikon D700 and live happily ever after - in body SR will not help you w/ moving targets (think kids), ISO-wise D700 will smoke anything around... it is of course a little bit bigger than K20D and heavier too...
07-11-2009, 10:33 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by deejjjaaaa Quote
WalMart was selling the body for $599 (?) recently... probably sold out now.

Adorama sells the body for $630 (ignore the price on the webpage and add to the shopping cart) now.
I just ordered the body + kit Lens from Adorama's Amazon listing for $699. Definitely a steal compared to the $785 (or there about) that it was just earlier in the week.
07-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PeteyJ Quote
I just ordered the body + kit Lens from Adorama's Amazon listing for $699. Definitely a steal compared to the $785 (or there about) that it was just earlier in the week.
Please get some good glass for god sake PeteyJ.

The kit lens is fine IMHO, but the "good stuff" will really make your new camera shine!