Black Bellied Whistling Ducks

1 - 800 ISO No Noise Reduction
2 - 800 ISO Noise Ninja
3 - 1600 ISO No Noise Reduction
4 - 1600 ISO Noise Ninja
5 - 1600 ISO Noise Ninja 100% Crop

Looks like 1600 can be used in pinch.

Ed

Last edited by snooked; 07-29-2009 at 05:45 AM.
07-11-2009, 07:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

What lens?
Detail an colors looks very odd. Why so?
Like random playing with gamma increase, saturation and hue adjustments.
07-11-2009, 07:28 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ytterbium Quote
What lens?
Detail an colors looks very odd. Why so?
Like random playing with gamma increase, saturation and hue adjustments.
Sigma 150 500mm hand held. The sky was totaly overcast and the light was varying constantly. DNG raw all processed the same.

Ed
07-11-2009, 07:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

They look odd alright.
They have the feel of an over-exposed shot, but the histogram looks OK.
Were the original exposures way out ?
My 2 days of playing with the K-7 have shown it exposes very accurately, if just slightly on the bright side.

Last edited by kittykat46; 07-11-2009 at 08:02 AM.
07-11-2009, 08:18 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Yeah, colours seem strange. Rather flat and greens over-saturated in the 1st set and washed out in the 2nd set.

1600 result noise is not too bad but something still doesn't seem right about the 1600 image colours in particular. Maybe its the lens?

Also congrats on the good results hand-held with such long focal length. How did the AF go on that lens btw?
07-11-2009, 08:26 AM   #6
Site Supporter

exposure

Ed,

Here is another thought: since I cannot read the EXIF on those photos, what metering did you use and what shutter speeds?

I ask this because the duck plumage itself is close to a proper exposure, perhaps a tad bright (regardless of the colors). If you metered only the darkest areas of the subject or did an EV comp, then the surroundings can be quite bright since the meter indicates a drop in shutter speed is necessary to correctly exposure the darker parts of it's plumage. Again, I don't know all of the details, but I thought I would mention this possibility.

Regards,
Marc
07-11-2009, 08:38 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Marc Langille Quote
Ed,

Here is another thought: since I cannot read the EXIF on those photos, what metering did you use and what shutter speeds?

I ask this because the duck plumage itself is close to a proper exposure, perhaps a tad bright (regardless of the colors). If you metered only the darkest areas of the subject or did an EV comp, then the surroundings can be quite bright since the meter indicates a drop in shutter speed is necessary to correctly exposure the darker parts of it's plumage. Again, I don't know all of the details, but I thought I would mention this possibility.

Regards,
Marc
I used the standard multi metering, the light on one set was behind me and the other was in front of me which does make a difference. On a dark bird or white bird I get best results spot metering. I was mainly looking at noise in these shots, the lighting was not very good this day.

Ed
07-11-2009, 08:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by snooked Quote
I used the standard multi metering, the light on one set was behind me and the other was in front of me which does make a difference. On a dark bird or white bird I get best results spot metering. I was mainly looking at noise in these shots, the lighting was not very good this day.

Ed
No worries then Ed! I agree with your last sentence about how to best expose white or dark birds and those hazy days are often horrible to deal with.

I've also posted a general guidelines for properly exposing birds within the articles section if you are interested.

I"ve never had much success with those ducks, because the ones I tried to photograph rarely saw a human being and were incredibly skittish even while I was in a blind. Coupled with poor light I didn't try to photograph them for more than 15-20 images. Not worth it in that instance - better to just enjoy their presence.

Best of luck on future shots!

Regards,
Marc