Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #1
Inactive Account

K7 SR confirmation

There has been frequent discussion recently about the need to wait for the SR confirmation sign to appear in viewfinder before fully depress the shutter to take the shot.

I personally feel that to look for the SR confirmation sign to appear is inconvenient and its a pain to check everytime before pressing the shutter.

Any comments on this ? Or is there a custom function to perform "release only after SR engaged" so that one would not accidentally take a shot when the SR is not ready.

07-11-2009, 08:32 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes well, the equipment does have it's limitations.
Learn how long it takes for the SR to stabilize, then you can count elephants and not have to look down that 1/2 inch.
It's the way I worked around the same issue.
I would prefer to not have a SR limitation on when the camera takes the picture as it is just one more thing to shut off, or one more way for the camera to automatically throw off my timing.
07-11-2009, 10:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yes well, the equipment does have it's limitations.
Learn how long it takes for the SR to stabilize, then you can count elephants and not have to look down that 1/2 inch.
It's the way I worked around the same issue.
I would prefer to not have a SR limitation on when the camera takes the picture as it is just one more thing to shut off, or one more way for the camera to automatically throw off my timing.
I've noticed that once I identified where the SR notification was, it didn't take me long to learn to "see" it come on in my peripheral vision - it's a faint "green flash" in the lower right when I'm lookin' through the center AF point.

But if you're holding the button halfway while you set, tuck in your elbows, and do the sniper's breath thing, it should be on anyway, whether you're lookin' at it or not.
07-11-2009, 10:45 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The answer is to use your camera more, and get used to the timming, and the change in the LED display.

07-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Switch on the level, then by the the time you've check and adjusted that your SR will be ready and you wont have to waste time straitening your image!
Of course if your shooting in bright light you are almost better switching it of with shorter lenses.
I agree it would be nice if you could choose not to allow the shot to be taken until it activates!
07-12-2009, 09:39 PM   #6
Veteran Member

As far as I can see, and the K-7's manual seems to say the same, SR needs time to activate only immediately after Turning on the Camera or when restoring from Auto Power Off.

A camera which was "On" all the time should have SR instantly available. The default Auto Power Off on the K-7 is rather short (1 minute) and one of the first things I did was to set it to 10 minutes. That way, I rarely have to wait for the camera to "warm-up", including the SR.

Leaving the camera on, with the LCD darkened actually consumes very little battery power.
07-13-2009, 05:45 AM   #7
ken
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
As far as I can see, and the K-7's manual seems to say the same, SR needs time to activate only immediately after Turning on the Camera or when restoring from Auto Power Off.

A camera which was "On" all the time should have SR instantly available. The default Auto Power Off on the K-7 is rather short (1 minute) and one of the first things I did was to set it to 10 minutes. That way, I rarely have to wait for the camera to "warm-up", including the SR.

Leaving the camera on, with the LCD darkened actually consumes very little battery power.
Thanks for taking the trouble to check the manual

I was thinking if this is the case then why would there be a need for a SR confirmation sign to light up approx. half a second after half depressing the shutter ? What does the light up sign try to indicate ?

So now we have reach a situation where nobody is certain whether the SR is instantly available after camera switch on or only available after half a second upon depressing the shutter half way well well...

07-13-2009, 05:50 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I have a feeling if the SR light never lit yup, some would question whether or not it was on or not. The rest of us will be concentrating on the shot, not paranoid about the gear.

Jason
07-13-2009, 06:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ken Quote
Thanks for taking the trouble to check the manual
Perhaps you should have asked an owner to check for you.
The SR indicator takes about 1 second to illuminate after the shutter button has been depressed to the first detent.

BTW, the manual agrees with the actuality.
07-13-2009, 07:28 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jstevewhite Quote
But if you're holding the button halfway while you set, tuck in your elbows, and do the sniper's breath thing, it should be on anyway, whether you're lookin' at it or not.
Ditto...I nearly always have the SR confirmation lit up by the time I'm ready to fire (after framing, checking if stuff is ok in the background, etc.). If it's a quick shot, I hold the shutter button down halfway while bringing it up to my face. It's ready by the time it's up to my face..
07-13-2009, 08:53 PM   #11
Inactive Account

I have the O-ME53 on my viewfinder and it is hard to see down that far to see the symbol, but I can tell in my peripheral vision that another light has popped on, so I've gotten used to "see" it that way...