Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2007, 06:02 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Best thing at radioshack for DSLR user?

I've got a $25 gift card to any store in my local mall, but the only one of any interest is Radioshack. What can I buy at Radioshack for less than or about $25 that'll help me with photography? I've got a *ist DS on the way to me, to use with existing glass (used to shoot film), so I bought a pack of Rayovac Hybrids at wallyworld and a 2gb SD card at BestBuy.....so what can I get at RS? their memory is absurdly expensive it seems, and they don't have any similar batteries to get more of, they have a house brand that claims to come precharged but says nothing about loss over time.....I have a slow charger for my batteries already, but a cheap fast one couldn't hurt.....

give me your suggestions, I leave at dawn! (well, whenever I get up anyways, when I'm done washing the truck, I'll go into town.)

05-04-2007, 07:08 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
A card reader or camera bag.
05-04-2007, 07:19 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
{edit} I found out there is a Ritz Camera in the mall. In other words, I go to the mall so infrequently that I don't even know what stores are in it Is Ritz Camera a good place for prosumer camera gear? Reasonably priced? I've never heard of them--most of my stuff has been bought online or used

Cardreader, that's a good idea actually.
05-04-2007, 07:21 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Ah, Ritz... I like some of their Quantaray camera bags. That's about it, though.

05-04-2007, 07:26 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Is that an in-house brand of bag? Never heard of them....then again, I'm happy enough with my Lowepro, fits my camera and two lenses, so I've never bothered to search for another bag
05-04-2007, 07:39 PM   #6
Forum Member

Maybe a nice neoprene camera strap?
05-04-2007, 07:46 PM   #7
Inactive Account

CDs/DVDs to backup photos on.

05-04-2007, 07:47 PM   #8

Ritz also has lens filters, lens hoods, and lens bags that you might be interested in.
05-04-2007, 08:36 PM   #9

Rocket Blower, Microfiber cloth, Inkjet paper (if you make your own prints)
05-04-2007, 08:45 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Well....

QuoteOriginally posted by JahJahwarrior Quote
I've got a $25 gift card to any store in my local mall, but the only one of any interest is Radioshack. What can I buy at Radioshack for less than or about $25 that'll help me with photography? I've got a *ist DS on the way to me, to use with existing glass (used to shoot film), so I bought a pack of Rayovac Hybrids at wallyworld and a 2gb SD card at BestBuy.....so what can I get at RS? their memory is absurdly expensive it seems, and they don't have any similar batteries to get more of, they have a house brand that claims to come precharged but says nothing about loss over time.....I have a slow charger for my batteries already, but a cheap fast one couldn't hurt.....

give me your suggestions, I leave at dawn! (well, whenever I get up anyways, when I'm done washing the truck, I'll go into town.)
I think the suggestions about a neoprene strap and a card reader are good (if you can find an SDHC card reader). However if you travel, its worth getting some useful travel accessories like electical socket converters. I usually take an extension block with a single converter so I can plug my laptop, battery charger etc at the same time.

Its always worth having some pec pads and eclipse fluid as well for those tricky marks, or a rocket blower.
05-04-2007, 09:22 PM   #11
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I travel, but only in the US for the moment I've got short power cords and splitters so I can plug in as much as I want, but some of the ideas sound good, things Ihadn't thought of, like a rocket blower or pecpads. I don't usually shoot with a strap on the camera, I much prefer a bag with a strap, and the camera goes in the bag if I'm not using it soon, but I might look for a handstrap. And I make my own prints, but I mooch off the parent's nice Sony dye-sub printers and paper It helps that they've got two, I can borrow one and they don't complain much.

Thanks for the ideas guys, I appreciate them!
05-06-2007, 12:48 PM   #12

If you have a wired remote control, Radio Shack has a coiled extension cord for it for less than $10. They sell it as a cellphone earpiece extension cord. Mine works perfectly well with both my *istD and K10D.

Larry in Dallas
05-06-2007, 07:11 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Some bayonet mount rear lens caps. The slip-on ones Pentax includes on most lenses suck. Big time.
05-06-2007, 08:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Their Quantaray lenses are just rebranded Sigma lenses. If you wanted to save up and get a lens. But $25 isn't really a whole lot to sway you on when you consider the price of a lens.

Would you maybe want a flash?