Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 04:37 PM   #1

Split-image screen for K-7?

I noticed that there isn't one listed in the back of the manual. Has one been planned or announced? I really want one.

07-11-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mabelsound Quote
I noticed that there isn't one listed in the back of the manual. Has one been planned or announced? I really want one.
you are joking, right ? split prism will affect metering (spot metering mostly), so there will be no official focusing screen like this from Pentax...

you have to wait until suppliers selling on ebay and the likes of focusingscreen.com or katzeyeoptics.com start offering such screens...

K-7 has more 100% coverage x 0.92 magnification vs K10D/K20D 95% coverage x 0.95 magnification, so the exising focusing screens w/ split prism that were cut for K10D/K20D will be either small to be used (100% coverage vs 95% coverage) or you will not be able to lock them safely enough.
07-12-2009, 06:33 AM   #3

Original Poster
I don't intend to try installing one from another camera, and am aware of the new coverage and magnification numbers. But I like manual lenses, and they're a bit of a challenge to focus using the .92 magnification.

Metering should be fine for me; I rarely use spot. Will wait for Katzeye.
08-19-2009, 12:48 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was just today in touch with Rachael Katz. The KatzEye for the K-7 is currently in testing. For me this is great news, as I was totally dependent on my KatzEye for the K10D.

08-19-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rormeister Quote
I was just today in touch with Rachael Katz. The KatzEye for the K-7 is currently in testing. For me this is great news, as I was totally dependent on my KatzEye for the K10D.
can you ask her to make it diagonal?

it is worthwhile and much better than horizontal
08-19-2009, 02:46 PM   #6

Are these screens really worth it?

I also like using old/throwaway manual glass, and I have a hell of a time properly focusing some of my longer prime lenses...
08-19-2009, 08:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Don't know about KatzEye but ever since I got the much cheaper Chinese made version, I have had twice as many keepers with my manual focus lenses. However, I have found it to be not as useful in low light. I am not sure if KatzEye is better in that aspect, though.

08-19-2009, 11:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Meanwhile, as there is no proper split-focus screen available yet, have you noticed the matte focus screen on the K-7 is an improvement for manual focus ?

Its a bit less bright , which sounds counter-intuitive, but I find it easier to see the transition between out-of-focus to in-focus while doing manual focusing on the K-7.

There's a kind of rough, spotted texture which becomes more visible when the subject is in focus, and is blurred out when it's out of focus.

Just one of the nice little extra touches I've found on the K-7.
08-20-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
Meanwhile, as there is no proper split-focus screen available yet, have you noticed the matte focus screen on the K-7 is an improvement for manual focus ?

Its a bit less bright , which sounds counter-intuitive, but I find it easier to see the transition between out-of-focus to in-focus while doing manual focusing on the K-7.

There's a kind of rough, spotted texture which becomes more visible when the subject is in focus, and is blurred out when it's out of focus.

Just one of the nice little extra touches I've found on the K-7.
your comment is not as far off base as you think.

the screne design of the K10D and K20D was optimized for brightness at the expense of ease for focusing. there were threads on this a while back as I recall.

The K7 screen appears (by designation XX60) to be more similar to the *istD screen, which was less bright, but also produced better metering when put into a K10/20D body.
05-07-2010, 10:12 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Focusing Screen has the split screens for both K7 and K-x.
05-08-2010, 02:45 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Focusing Screen has the split screens for both K7 and K-x.
Any idea when/if they're (focusingscreen.com) releasing a screen with the rule of thirds style view finder like the K-7 limited silver has? This is the only thing keeping me from giving focusingscreen a try. The prices are quite a bit more competitive than Katz eye.

Edit: argh, found it. Nevermind
05-08-2010, 04:49 AM   #12
Forum Member

I believe this is the screen the K7 Limited has in it,as I recall it is named "Golden Mean" or "Golden Section Ratio". I have talked to Rachel Katz and had sent her this image for her assessment of this screen a while back. Her reply was she can make it no problem and even include a prism for focusing aid. Anyone considering this screen should send her a copy of this image to use for reference IMO.....

Larry

05-08-2010, 05:03 PM   #13

This is a great option. Has Ms Katz ever expressed interest in any type of group buy discount opportunity? I just ordered a cheapie off of Ebay to test the waters in general, but this is a clear win if I can get the golden [ratio] plus focusing screen (AND have the option for the special brightness treatment)..

QuoteOriginally posted by Motorman Quote
I believe this is the screen the K7 Limited has in it,as I recall it is named "Golden Mean" or "Golden Section Ratio". I have talked to Rachel Katz and had sent her this image for her assessment of this screen a while back. Her reply was she can make it no problem and even include a prism for focusing aid. Anyone considering this screen should send her a copy of this image to use for reference IMO.....

Larry

Last edited by writeb; 05-08-2010 at 09:06 PM.