Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-11-2009, 05:50 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Upgrade or not?

Hi Everyone.
I have a k 10D that I bought when they first came out and am very Happy with it. I am a fairly serious photographer But probably don't use the k 10D to it's full potential. I would say I like travel and landscape photography the most, and Macro is beginning to interest me more. I would like to add a 100 macro to my lenses (16/45, 10/20 sigma, 50/200 and 70/300 sigma.) I guess my question is would my money be better spent on Lenses and a good tri pod or the k7. Is the k7 a big jump from the k10d ? Video dosen't interest me but 14.5 megapixels sounds good. If for example if you were to shoot in green mode all the time would you see significant difference?
Anyway These are just some of the questions buzzing around in my head.
Thanks.
James.;

07-11-2009, 06:05 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jamescp Quote
Hi Everyone.
I have a k 10D that I bought when they first came out and am very Happy with it. I am a fairly serious photographer But probably don't use the k 10D to it's full potential. I would say I like travel and landscape photography the most, and Macro is beginning to interest me more. I would like to add a 100 macro to my lenses (16/45, 10/20 sigma, 50/200 and 70/300 sigma.) I guess my question is would my money be better spent on Lenses and a good tri pod or the k7. Is the k7 a big jump from the k10d ? Video dosen't interest me but 14.5 megapixels sounds good. If for example if you were to shoot in green mode all the time would you see significant difference?
Anyway These are just some of the questions buzzing around in my head.
Thanks.
James.;
I think the K-7 is a major step up from the K10D, but so is the K20D. It sounds to me like you might be better paid by picking up a K20D for $600 and the D-FA 100mm f2.8 for $500. It makes a great macro platform, and the K-7 probably won't add anything. On the other hand, the K-7 has, by most reports, improved autofocus, improved metering, and several other significant advances. None of them particularly impacts IQ directly, though, as nearly as I can tell, except white balance. You'll have to decide which is more important.
07-11-2009, 06:22 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
I upgraded from the K10 to the K7. From all the reports, the IQ from the K20 and K7 aren't very different. From the K10, it was a huge leap.

As for the green mode... I rarely used it on the K10, especially when we were indoors as it was horrible with tungsten lighting. However, with the K7, there is a DRAMATIC difference with the green mode. The green mode is actually useful. Before, I had to do manual white balance for almost all indoor situations, but now AWB for the K7 is accurate for almost all the situations.

However, if you're mostly outdoor photography, not quite sure if it'll make too much of a difference.
07-11-2009, 10:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Or you could wait for the K7 to settle out (software updates and debugging) and buy one in about 6 months.

07-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #5
Veteran Member

K-8 is just around the corner from what I am hearing.........Shhhhhh.
07-11-2009, 11:12 PM   #6
Veteran Member

If you don't crop (much) and you don't need better high ISO, AF or FPS, then stick with the k10 and get some good glass. I've just done the upgrade, but can tell you right now you won't notice much in an 8x10 between the two at ISO 100. If you need the improved performance, then the k-7 is a good move. If you don't, then glass is the wiser investment.

As for the k20, it's an option as well, but I can't give you any first-hand opinion on it because I didn't get one. However, if you're only looking at the MP's, I personally think a good lens would make more of a difference.

Whichever you choose though, you really can't go wrong

ETA: Also, no matter what you decide - get a good tripod. It's one of the best investments you will ever make in photography.
07-12-2009, 08:43 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
ETA: Also, no matter what you decide - get a good tripod. It's one of the best investments you will ever make in photography.
Monopod FTW! Tripod is too fiddly to work with IMO

I think the K-7 will be a HUGE upgrade in every department, SO I think you should get a good tripod or monopod and then wait for the price of the K-7 to go down to $1000. There isn't a huge NEED to upgrade yet right?

Last edited by GLXLR; 07-12-2009 at 08:48 AM.
07-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

The K10 is a very capable camera, and unless you have specific "needs" I don't see a lot of reason to upgrade.

I have just upgradeed from K10 to K7, but here's why.

I shoot a lot of K mount lenses, (manual everything) the K7 in all reviews and first hand reports meters much better,

I also shoot whild life and even with good lenses the better performance at High ISO is worthwhile, although on it's own high ISO was not enough to make me upgrade, as I still have my *istD which is a very capable camera.

For me, the combination of new things, all of which I could make use of, made it worthwhile. I will still keep my K10D along with my *istD, because they are all good performers, and it is always nice to have a back up.

My kit now has the K7 as the every day go to body, the K10D with a split image finder, as the manual lens body, and the *istD as the back up, along with manual lens flash, since it can do TTL flash with K mounts, as well as back up the K7 for high ISO.

07-12-2009, 10:07 AM   #9
Inactive Account

I'm in the same boat(have k10d, thinking of upgrading to k7), would love to hear more opinions on weather or not to upgrade now or wait to see if any firmware/hardware updates come out for the k7 or just wait till the next model.
I would imagine the r&d $ for the next camera will go to IQ improvements, as it seems everything else on the K7 are tiptop.
Ugh, decisions decisions..................
07-12-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Raybo Quote
K-8 is just around the corner from what I am hearing.........Shhhhhh.
Are you serious? Don't tease us, tell us what you know!!!!
07-12-2009, 11:24 AM   #11
Pentaxian

If you like the K10 and it meets your needs, spend your money on lens upgrades and wait a while on the K7 or next incarnation. The K7 has a many features that I wanted to see in the K20 (and I like my lens collection) so I picked one up.
07-13-2009, 08:36 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi Everyone.
Thanks for your thoughts. I think a macro for now and the k7 down the road is a good route. Maybe the price will drop. It is always hard to resist running out a getting the latest and greatest though. But I am happy with the k10 and don't know what I would do with 2 bodys for now.
Thanks again.