Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 01:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Camera body balance on straps

I got my 645N + FA 75 combo today and I just noticed that despite its weight, it feels really nice to strap around my shoulder since the camera points almost exactly downward thanks to the strap design. I carried the camera around for the whole day but didn't feel like it's a nuisance at all. Not so with K100D + Tammy 28-75 since the camera didnt just face down but at an angle, causing the combi to hang more like a pendulum than a handbag... if that makes any sense.

I tested my K100D with M40 and the camera hangs almost at 90 degrees, explaining why I found it so comfortable to carry around vs any of my other lenses. I tried the DA 18-55 and it still dropps downward. And I thought that lens is light already!

The question I want to ask is, does using a grip improve handling of cameras using a normal sized zoom (say, DA 16-45 and DA 50-200) on a KxxD? How about the K-7 where the strap is at the front?

And maybe: how about FA 43? Does it droop down as well? My FA 35 droops so I think 43 would droop as well.

Last edited by Andi Lo; 07-12-2009 at 01:57 AM.
07-12-2009, 03:38 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andi Lo Quote
The question I want to ask is, does using a grip improve handling of cameras using a normal sized zoom (say, DA 16-45 and DA 50-200) on a KxxD? How about the K-7 where the strap is at the front?
On the K20D, having the grip helped this balance problem a lot. On the K-7 with the front strap, it's balancing better without the grip but I think it will still be better with the grip.
07-12-2009, 03:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Agreed but the trade off is the extra weight. My cameras all have grips attached and I wouldn't shoot any other way. I attach both straps to the lug on the right side (facing the camera where the mode dial is) using a clip and an old D ring. This gets the strap out of the way for portrait shooting (I do that a lot for work) and allows the camera to hang almost straight down when over the shoulder. Better for me as most of my lenses are much heavier than the Kit ones.
07-19-2009, 01:16 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I carried the ZX-7 + grip and M40 around today and the body balance is wonderful! I think I should get saving for that DA 40...

Peter: What's a D-Ring if you don't mind me asking? Is it one of these guys? d-ring - Google Image Search

07-19-2009, 02:04 PM   #5
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Andi, my mistake in quickly typing. It's a split ring like this.