Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 05:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
[REQUEST] K-7+ Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye Lens

[REQUEST] K-7+ Zenitar 16mm f/2.8 Fisheye Lens

I have just bought the Zenitar 16mm f2.8 Fisheye from ebay for 119 and just wondered if anyone with a K-7 has tried it? especially in movie mode?

I have always wanted a fisheye lens and this seems a good one to get as its not tooo fisheyed yet is good quality (even if you do have to tweak your lens yourself) and it's nice having a metal lens!

I'm currently on a K10D waiting for SRS to contact me about my K-7.

Please post samples even if they're not with a K-7 just state what camera is used please.

07-12-2009, 10:37 AM   #2
Banned

QuoteQuote:
Good News:

1.) Cheap!

2.) Solid.

3.) Great optics at f/16, much better on a full-frame camera than my Nikkor 10.5mm fisheye is on my Nikon D200!

4.) Free soft focus effect at f/2.8.

Bad News:

1.) Hopelessly fuzzy at large apertures.

2.) No autofocus.

3.) Manual diaphragm: you have to open and close it by hand for each shot if you want to focus or compose.

3.) No manual focus confirmation indication on Canon cameras.

3.) No communication with your camera, which means manual guesstimate exposure on Canon.
Zenitar 16mm Fisheye

I use a 15mm F2.8 Sigma with my K-7 that I like alot.
YouTube - Pentax K-7 with 15mm F2.8 Sigma in 1536x1024 *** mode at Minimum Focusing Distance 15cm/5.9 in.

Sigma 15mm F2.8 EX DG DIAGONAL Fisheye (AF Lens) Reviews

Last edited by jogiba; 07-12-2009 at 11:02 AM.
07-12-2009, 11:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There are a ton of Zenitar shots on this site. Check out this thread for shots with the Zen as well as most of the commonly available fisheye options for Pentax:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/33549-fisheye-...ye-photos.html
I have thoroughly enjoyed my Zen and would recommend it with only a few reservations. See here for reviews:
PentaxForums.com Third-Party Pentax Lens Review Database - 16mm f2.8 Fisheye
Regarding the quote above from Ken Rockwell's site, I would suggest that his assessment is inaccurate on these counts:
  • A good copy of the Zen is not "hopelessly fuzzy" at any apertures. It is admirably sharp at f/5.6 and narrower and acceptably sharp at wider apertures. It is not as good as the Sigma 15, but then again, it is not priced like the Sigma either. (FWIW, I think the Sigma is a wonderful lens...) When I first got my Zenitar, I thought that it was fuzzy at large apertures. After I got my Katz Eye focus screen, I realized that those shots were simply not in focus. The focus ring has a short throw and it is difficult to evaluate focus for subjects at moderate to close distance without some sort of focus aid.
  • The K-mount Zenitar does not have a manual diaphragm. It has a fully functional automatic aperture and a standard (no A contacts) K-mount.
  • This lens will meter if used in M mode on a Pentax dSLR, though my experience has been that the metering is will be inaccurate at all apertures. It should be noted that my film cameras have problems metering with the Zenitar as well.
  • Focus confirmation works just fine on a Pentax camera, though I have found that split image works best for critical focus of close subjects.

And finally, here is one taken with the Zen on my K10D last Sunday (f/8, I think):

Here is a link to the same subject taken with my FA 35/2 for comparison:

http://www.aracnet.com/~brothers/images/IMGP1535.jpg

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-12-2009 at 05:33 PM.