Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 09:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
And then the engineers have to find a spot for it on the LCD screen and they have to add a menu option to turn the damned thing off, all of which is going to add to the cost, and this doesn't take into account that you pulled a number out of your nether orifice with nothing to back it up.
All this to implement a feature of no practical use?
Get real.
Oh, I don't know, perhaps we could replace the histogram with it?

Just kidding, I agree 100% with your comment and that of mtngal.

if people really are going to want this level of detail, then let them shoot in tethered mode and use an exif viewer to look at every shot while they take it.

One thing is for sure, I had no way in hell of knowing how hot my film was when my KX was sitting out in the sun, and the only fogged photos I ever had were ones where my daughter opened the back of the camera by accident.

This looks like some one trolling for more ways to justify why the camera does not give him enough data to figure out what he did wrong with his photos.

All I can add is the following

Attached Images

07-13-2009, 09:57 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I could see it now.

The camera manufactures are so worried about the quality of your photographs that we must scroll through a menu for over 20 minutes confirming every setting before we're able to take a single shot.
07-13-2009, 10:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
This looks like some one trolling for more ways to justify why the camera does not give him enough data to figure out what he did wrong with his photos.
You must be much smarter than me to come to that conclusion based upon a simple question.

Betcha you were waiting all day to use the 'troll' word.

07-13-2009, 10:29 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
higher sensor temp = more noise as heat can distort the signals a bit, so i have heard. knowing the sensor temp can help you to pace your shooting to keep a cooler sensor.

i would like to have that info on a wedding when i am shooting heavy....
Seriously, if you have to worry about the sensor temperature when shooting a wedding, a sporting event, or whatever..... you are using the wrong camera.

As much as I have my own major pet peeves about the K20D, even a desert photos shoot won't make me worry about the K20D's sensor over-heating.

So... really, don't worry about that.

07-13-2009, 10:34 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxmz Quote
You must be much smarter than me to come to that conclusion based upon a simple question.
no actually it is just a question of having seen enough justifications that are a little too far off the wall. just because info is potentially available, does not mean it should be part of the decision process.
QuoteQuote:

Betcha you were waiting all day to use the 'troll' word.

At the beginning no, but as time went on, ........
It actually took me more time to find the base image and make the no trolling sign than anything else.

I guess the real issue is where is the practical limit to things. Pentax has generally been pretty good on drawing the line between practical information and that which is not, and I think they are correct again here.
07-13-2009, 10:35 AM   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by eva2000 Quote
Been playing with my K-7 some more and with photome being able to report sensor temps and shutter count, the question I ask myself is why can't the DSLR camera's actually report that stuff in camera ?
Because:

1. The shutter count is recorded in the EXIF (this is a standard). As far as I know, there is no value in displaying this info on the LCD. Or is there? Explain please.

2. The temperature that you see in the EXIF is NOT the image sensor's temperature. Rather, it is read from a chip on the processor's circuit board. In a sense, it is the body temperature that is being read.

You can test this for yourself.... go ahead and take a 1 hour photo (but it will actually take 2 hours ).... you will see little increase in temperature compared to a 1/500 sec photo.

The K20D (and I suspect the K7) will tell you when there is an over-heating problem. I also suspect that this will rarely occur, unless you are using live view or shooting video for a long time.
07-13-2009, 10:44 AM   #22
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I guess the real issue is where is the practical limit to things. Pentax has generally been pretty good on drawing the line between practical information and that which is not, and I think they are correct again here.
Money usually dictates that only the essentials are included. Change management practises usually ensure that the design specs are well decided, long before the camera build has started.

Few companies allow their engineers free reign...or adding hidden easter eggs these days. As a result, these camera menus are pretty dry.....

The firmware section should have plenty of additional memory... so my dream is to get my hands on the firmware source code. I'll add these extra features for the OP. But only AFTER I make my own changes.....such as the ability to delay DFS until I am done taking all my long exposures!

07-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
higher sensor temp = more noise as heat can distort the signals a bit, so i have heard. knowing the sensor temp can help you to pace your shooting to keep a cooler sensor.

i would like to have that info on a wedding when i am shooting heavy....
My first shoot with my K7 was over 1600 shots in ~2.5 hours.
This works out to approximately 1 shot every 5.5 seconds, but because of breaks for chothing changes and the like, was probably more like 1 shot every 3 or so seconds.
Every shot was well exposed, every shot has normal noise characteristics.
What is surprising to me is that my Photogenics stood up to it.
I find it highly doubtful that any wedding shooter will put a camera through that sort of pace at a wedding.
My take on this entire discussion is that it is a non issue trying to find a place where it can be made into an issue.