Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2009, 07:29 PM   #1

K7 Wireless Flash Problem

Dear Pentax users,

My newly acquired K7 has the following problems in wireless flash mode with my AF-540 FGZ:

1) Channel setting cannot be memorized
When I set the wireless channel in the K7 to channels other than 1, K7 cannot memorize the settings and go back to the default channel 1 after power off.

2) The P-TTL seems does not work in wireless flash mode
The images are severly overposed (estimated by 2-3 stops). The built-in flash on my K7 is customised to Control mode. The flash however works perfectly when attached to the hotshoe.

Any K7 users have the same problems? I am just wondering if it is just a problem to my K7 only or it is a bug in the K7 wireless flash mode in general.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

07-13-2009, 04:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Have you gone through the process of setting the channel on the flash and body together? I found when my Metz 48 AF-1 came back from service, it appeared to work in wireless P-TTL but was firing only at full power -- sounds like just what you're seeing. "Re-introducing" the camera and flash made everything work again?
07-13-2009, 06:58 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Just gone through the channel setting process again. I let the flash stayed on the hotshoe longer before I turned off the flash and the camera. The camera can memorize the channel this time. However, the same over-exposure problem still exists. The P-TTL still doesn't seem to work properly.

Last edited by kckt; 07-13-2009 at 07:06 AM.
07-13-2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Just out of curiosity, please try wireless with the flash in A mode and report back. Thanks.

07-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I just checked mine. Channels work ok but I see the same overexposure problem. On-camera, the P-TTL is perfect. Off camera, I need to dial in -1 EV on the flash page on the K-7.
07-15-2009, 03:17 AM   #6

what mode is k7 in, also check iso make sure same.
to q1 can that memory be selected on/off in pf menu or user menu?
07-15-2009, 03:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Hmmm. Have you checked with Pentax support? I'm curious what they say.
07-15-2009, 05:34 AM   #8
Veteran Member

For what it's worth, I have the same overexposure problem in wireless mode with my (chipped for K10D) Sigma EF-500 DG SUPER.

Not that this really surprises me, given that it's a 3rd-party flash.

07-15-2009, 08:12 AM   #9

Regarding the over exposure issue: Have you made sure the wireless flash mode of the 540fgz is set to PTTL and not just "dumb slave" ? Hold down the light-key until SL appears in the display, it should read "1" or PTTL and "2" for dumb slave if I remember correctly. (It might be the other way around though)
07-18-2009, 08:05 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by sveinmb Quote
Regarding the over exposure issue: Have you made sure the wireless flash mode of the 540fgz is set to PTTL and not just "dumb slave" ? Hold down the light-key until SL appears in the display, it should read "1" or PTTL and "2" for dumb slave if I remember correctly. (It might be the other way around though)
Thanks for everyone's help on this issue.

The SL is set at 1. Indeed, I have replaced my K7 with a new one. However, the over-exposure problem still exits. Having done some tests during the past few days. Interestingly, off-camera direct flash looks fine, only off-camera bounce flash is over-exposed. It needs -2ev compensation in the camera's flash control to correct.