Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 11:10 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've handled all three and I can say at first impression, I too liked the Sony A700 grip. A lot of curves that fell into the right places. I remember the Sony A200 had some nice curves too vs. the more standard A300 and A350.

..but plasticky!

The Pentax K200D and the K20D feel alot more dense/solid.

Back to the original topic, my K200D is in repair right now but I like the K200D handgrip better than the K20D grip that I have now. The K200D is better for bigger hands as it extends out further. On the K20D my fingers, when wrapped around the grip, just about hits the body where the grip ends. If I had to draw a line, it would be that.

I don't have the D-BG2 (yet) but I have the D-BG3 (grip for K200D) and I can only reaffirm the praise others have already said. You'll love it cuz it gives your pinky finger a place to rest! The grip tapers off and makes horizontal shooting a pleasure. Vertical shooting leaves something to be desired. As like the D-BG2, the vertical grip is thin and under expressed.

So all in all, you'll find something to like and dislike about all 3 but Pentax tops the Sony easily for ergonomics (especially when considering the button arrangement as well!)

07-14-2009, 02:12 AM   #17
Inactive Account

I've got both the K20D and K200D with their respective grips.

With the grips on, I can't count the number of times I've picked the 'wrong' one up and not noticed until I've gone to operate the controls.

With the grips off there is a more noticeable difference in feel, but to me the K200D is still a nice fit for my large hands, just not quite as nice as the K20D.
07-14-2009, 04:46 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Could you get a K20 on Amazon and then return it, if you didn't like the way it felt? I know that seems a little difficult, but I live in a very rural area where there is no camera store (except Walmart) for over an hour's drive. I tend to do a lot of shopping on line and just make certain that I use stores that have good return policies.

As far as ergonomics, the K20 and K10 both are perfect for me. I would have no qualms at all recommending either one from that standpoint.
07-14-2009, 06:21 PM   #19

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete Quote
I've handled all three and I can say at first impression, I too liked the Sony A700 grip.[]..but plasticky!

The Pentax K200D and the K20D feel alot more dense/solid.
Nontrivial, especially with a family. +)

QuoteOriginally posted by FotoPete:
Back to the original topic, my K200D is in repair right now but I like the K200D handgrip better than the K20D grip that I have now. The K200D is better for bigger hands as it extends out further. On the K20D my fingers, when wrapped around the grip, just about hits the body where the grip ends. If I had to draw a line, it would be that.

So all in all, you'll find something to like and dislike about all 3 but Pentax tops the Sony easily for ergonomics (especially when considering the button arrangement as well!)
You'll please some of the people all of the time, all of the people somel of the time, etc. There are things about my Thinkpad and Slackware that I'd prefer were a little different, but it's a great pairing and easily beats Windows and *buntu, for instance. I wouldn't be naive enough to be looking for perfection. Your points are well taken, and thanks.

QuoteOriginally posted by Graham67 Quote
I've got both the K20D and K200D with their respective grips.

With the grips on, I can't count the number of times I've picked the 'wrong' one up and not noticed until I've gone to operate the controls.

With the grips off there is a more noticeable difference in feel, but to me the K200D is still a nice fit for my large hands, just not quite as nice as the K20D.
I'm getting the impression that the differences between them are minor enough that I'm likely to feel fine with either, especially given their performance and the flexibility wrt Pentax lenses (even my SMC-M, with those special instructions I've read).

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Could you get a K20 on Amazon and then return it, if you didn't like the way it felt? I know that seems a little difficult, but I live in a very rural area where there is no camera store (except Walmart) for over an hour's drive. I tend to do a lot of shopping on line and just make certain that I use stores that have good return policies.
Not a horrible idea, but my hope was to exploit the arrival of the K-7 and the used marketplace to save cash on good gear. Still, something to consider, if I can get a good deal. Probably toward the end of the summer it should be even better, maybe.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec:
As far as ergonomics, the K20 and K10 both are perfect for me. I would have no qualms at all recommending either one from that standpoint.
The only reason I'm less inclined to buy the K10D is that the K20D seems to be in a good position on the low-light AF/high ISO noise spectrum between the K-7 and the K10D (if I recall correctly). I'm not tending toward sport photography, but I have kids and dogs and butterflies and bees and drink plenty of coffee. That said, I shoot only manual now, and like it.

Thanks, everyone, for your help, reflections, and perspectives. I think I'm gonna let it sit and focus a little more on taking shots with what I have. It's so easy to see all your wonderful shots and hear about all the advancements and not immediately want to join the fun.

Cheers,

Daniel

07-15-2009, 04:07 PM   #20
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I don't use my left hand ON the camera. The camera sits on my left hand (the heel) leaving the fingers to handle the aperture ring (yeah, I still use the aperture ring), focus and/or zoom control. My daughter's new K200d was a bit smaller than I like, and a lot smaller than my K10d with grip, but still felt alright in my hand.
Thank you for saving me the time.