Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #16
Forum Member

Oops!

QuoteOriginally posted by mel Quote
3 AA batteries? Mine holds 6. 3 on top and 3 below. And there's metal connecters and such for all four rows of the configuration so I assumed it used all 6 at a time.
You're absolutely correct. Mel! The 3 underneath have a way of not being obvious (out of sight, out of mind).

Thanks for the correction.

07-13-2009, 06:30 PM   #17
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Bad points
- no time out on info screen, and it tends to come on all by itself wrecking night vision. there shoud be an option to have it time out after 3 seconds, like the confirmation image.
There's an option to turn off that annoying info screen. I don't remeber where it is and how it's exactly called. After switching that option, back LCD behaves like on K10D/K20D.
07-13-2009, 06:39 PM   #18
Veteran Member

I enjoy it more every time I use it. It is better than the k20d in every way. The best part, is that it is small, accurate, and fast.

Regarding the noise; it has been confirmed here on this forum, and by Imaging Resources (comparometer) that the K-7 has less chroma noise compared to the k20d. Luminance noise is about the same. That is expected, and pretty impressive considering it is a 14.6 MP APS-C sensor, that now can do video.
07-13-2009, 06:47 PM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I enjoy it more every time I use it. It is better than the k20d in every way. The best part, is that it is small, accurate, and fast.
Same here.. no hassles or concerns... very happy camper and I love it more each time I use it.

Held my GX20 today and fired off some shots and missed the K-7 feel and sound after a couple of shots. Great investment

Neil

07-13-2009, 07:00 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Using this camera is like driving a sleek sports-car.... I just love it

Things I like
Fast, responsive AF,
Very much improved low-light AF -both speed and accuracy
Accurate exposure.
I finding that I'm rarely reaching for the E/V compensation except for High-ISO shots, where I'm deliberately giving the sensor "more light".

Accurate P-TTL flash exposure. A lot of folks who have been unhappy with P-TTL will appreciate this.

Very Good AWB
The usual Pentax 5-Stars Image Quality....I know there's some debate on this, but I'm very happy with what I see so far....

Tons of Customisation

Things I didn't like
Mostly related to default settings, which I quickly learned to change after reading the manual.
Having to Press OK everytime I want to change focus points...
07-13-2009, 09:22 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
ok. now I guess it's my turn to share what the pros and cons of my own K-7.

pros:

1. Fast AF - I mean really really fast
2. AF illuminator - big factor
3. Small Solid Mg/Fa/Weathersealed Body
4. Metering - it's really good, especially with A lenses
5. Mirror Lock Up
6. Noise is an advantage if you know how to use or handle it. chroma noise is not really too much to be worried about since they aren't that much IMO. just learn how to use the K-7 and you'll be alright and will surely love and appreciate the essential noises.
7. AWB is spot on
8. accurate
9. lowlight efficiency
10. of couse, it's 14.6 MP
11. IQ btw is great. you could check my A 50 1.2 test shot and strawberry test shot with the FA 35 f2 for reference. (original jpeg IQ was substantially degraded/diminished due to file size conversion but the resized jpeg still show excellent IQ result. orig file is outstanding IMO.

Cons:

1. Mode Dial Lock could be a bother - I kept on turning the dial automatically by instinct. solution: I just leave it at M mode everytime (like I always did). not really a fan of TaV or P mode.
though the lock could be an advantage inorder to avoid the mode from changing from accidental turning.

2. Noise is a disadvantage for beginners.
3. Battery Lock is bothersome.
4. Memory Card Insert is too tight. problematic when trying to remove card.

more pros or cons to come as I evaluate the K-7 further.

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-13-2009 at 10:50 PM.
07-13-2009, 10:26 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Thanks all for the real life information. Makes my planned upgrade to the K7 much more settled.
07-13-2009, 10:42 PM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

I really like the camera, even though mine had the line after using movie mode (defective sensor?). It's packed up to be shipped back to Amazon for exchange - NOT a refund. I want another one of these cameras, one without the fault, even though I'll probably never use movie mode again and heat alone didn't bring the problem back.

Pros:
- How fast it is, both the shutter and writing to the disk (at least it sure seemed faster when doing 5 frame exposure bracketing).
- WB improvement
- Features (of which I didn't explore all of)
- Interface - I like the info button and the ability to change all kinds of things with it. Once I more or less sorted out where things are, I found it really handy, much more so than I had expected.
- Weight and size (fits in a small bag I have that the K20 wouldn't fit in and the weight difference is very welcome)

Not sure about the shape of the grip on the camera itself - I like the deeper finger molding but thought the grip felt a bit cramped and I have really small hands and fingers. However, the longer I carried it hiking on Sunday, the less of an issue it was so I think I'll adjust to it quickly.

Not so sure about the metering - exposure seemed brighter and therefore better but it would cheerfully blow out highlights. I tried the highlight correction part of the extended range, but while it added less noise than the K20's extended dynamic range did, it still seemed to add more noise and I turned it off. I think that needs more testing before I could draw any real conclusions.

Neutral comment - it's the most complicated camera I've ever owned and it will take me a long time to really get comfortable.

Noise - I liked the less chroma noise, but didn't have mine long enough to play with the various noise reduction settings. Otherwise I thought the differences were small. I wasn't unhappy with the K20, so am not unhappy with the K-7's noise.

P.S. Forgot to mention, but I like the mode dial lock. It's not a big deal to push the button and I can't tell you how many times I accidentally changed modes while pulling the K20 out of the bag. Removing the SD card isn't a problem for me but then, I have small fingers (also why the metering lever size doesn't bother me, though it is a bit stiff).

Last edited by mtngal; 07-14-2009 at 08:31 AM.
07-14-2009, 04:26 AM   #24

I am pleased with my K-7

I have been very happy with my K100D Super and my K20D.

I now the happier owner of a K-7. I think it is a big step forward from the K20, for the following reasons:

1. Better built, ergonomically brilliant small body;
2. Faster AF;
3. Better color resolution;
4. Better AWB;
5. 100% viewfinder;
6. Better LCD screen;
7. Better low light performance;
8. Better pictures with built-in flash;

I do agree that the Nikon D300 seems to have better noise control at high ISOs, but when will you see that performance in a great small body with 77 weather seals, in-body ASR, a range of great specially-designed for DSLR compact Limited lenses, sold with a very good weather proof 18-55 kit lens for under 1200? Probably never. The Nikon D400 or D500 may come closer, but will they be under 1200? What's your guess?

If noise bothers me, I will appy NoiseWare.

I think the K-7 is great value for money, and I am glad to have one.
07-14-2009, 07:02 AM   #25

pros and cons

Here's my summary, coming from a K10D and occasional use of K20D and N*kon bodies. So I'll omit the pros and cons inherent in K10 and 20.

1. Vastly improved AF compared to the K20D. Now on par with most N*kon bodies.
  2. AF illumination
  3. Small size and light weight
  4. Finally a magnesium alloy body
  5. Good ISO performance - there's noise but it's quite uniform
  6. Vastly improved Matrix metering, (I used to use Centre-weighted and Spot only, this may change)
  7. Dust Removal II - something that actually has a chance to work compared to the non-functional gimmicky "dust shaking" on the K10D and the K20D
  8. Useless, prone-to-break SR switch now hidden in menu
  9. 100% Viewfinder, no more guessing
  10. The best colour LCD screen on a camera I've ever seen
  11. LV actually works
  12. Speed, general responsiveness, and FPS
  13. Digital level is a very useful feature
  14. Very good button placement in general, especially the PLAY and DELETE buttons
  15. Fits hand very, very well
  16. Quiet, quick shutter sound like how a proper shutter is supposed to sound
  17. The best AWB on any digital camera I've seen

Dislikes:
  1. AF illumination only OFF and AUTOMATIC, no manual option
  2. Top LCD illumination only OFF and AUTOMATIC, no manual option
  3. Long exposure NR cannot be switched off for exposures longer than 30 seconds
  4. AF point selection automatically snaps back, requiring the press of OK very frequently
  5. DNG images has a black stripe at one end when processed with RAWTherapee. Not sure whose fault is it yet
  6. Camera strap eyelet has to make space for the Mic socket. Now placed at a weird angle with vertically-installed neck straps (hand strap installed on the right)
  7. Metering mode switch too small and stubby, while switch itself is too tight. Very difficult to switch metering modes due to lack of leverage
  8. SD card cannot be taken out easily
  9. Exposure mode lock button actually hinders mode switching
  10. No storage for Remote Control F inside D-BG4
  11. Shutter still easy to trip on D-BG4. Please detect orientation
  12. Contrast AF slower than P&S cameras, and has to be activated with AF button, instead of a convenient half-shutter press
  13. With ever-increasing MP number, where's the option to save as 10MP or even 8MP RAW?
  14. Only 1 User memory
  15. CA and Distortion correction takes time to display, but they're processed in the background so you can still continue to shoot
  16. Cannot view light meter and level at the same time
  17. Exposure Compensation button and the ISO button can switch positions (but it's just a personal preference)
  18. Lack of BEEP confirmations just before recording and after stopping videos. In my opinion this should be configurable
  19. AF-S/AF-C/MF selection switch feels vague - easy to stop at an "intermediate" position. Same problem on K10 and K20
  20. Rubber doors - spring-loaded doors on K10D/K20D preferred
  21. RAW latitude seems slightly decreased from K10D

Features that I like but not ever likely to appear in any Pentax DSLR, even after the Pentax FF body I predict will happen in 5 years:
  1. Aperture sensor for pre-A lenses
  2. The choice of plain vanilla TTL flash metering besides P-TTL
  3. or alternatively, Flash-Exposure Lock to prevent subsequent pre-flashes

Last edited by wolfier; 07-14-2009 at 11:03 AM.
07-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #26
Inactive Account

I have not had my K-7 long enough for a proper evaluation but initial impressions are very good. I really like the size and weight. It is amazing that such a fully featured camera can be squeezed into such a small package. I find it very comfortable to hold and once I am used to the new arrangement of controls I will find it faster and easier to use.

Image quality seems pretty much the same as the K20d but improved auto focus and the focus assist light increase the vesatility of the camera. I have not done more with the video than try it out but it seems promising.
The real joy of the camera is in its handling - it just feels right and everything works more smoothly and quietly. This refinement is most noticeable in the damping of the mirror and the quiet shutter but extends to damping of movement of the pop-up flash. The Pentax Digital Camera Utility 4 looks as if it will be much more useable than its predecessors.
So far I am pleased I upgraded.

Archie
07-14-2009, 07:18 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wolfier Quote
Here's my summary, coming from a K10D and occasional use of K20D and N*kon bodies. So I'll omit the pros and cons inherent in K10 and 20.

[*]Metering mode switch too small and stubby, while switch itself is too tight. Very difficult to switch metering modes
[/LIST]
this is really a bother. aside from tight, it's too thin and quite inaccessible.
07-14-2009, 08:15 AM   #28

I made the leap from the k10d to the k7, and am glad that I waited, instead of going to the k20.

So far I'm extremely happy with the pictures. My only gripe is that they significantly changed the button layout and menu system, which means I'm on the wrong side of a learning curve. Especially when I'm shooting multiple exposures for HDR processing later in Photomatix, it takes me a good deal of time to navigate through things. With the K10, I would not need to pull the camera down from my eye. Now it's a game of hunt and peck.

Hopefully I'll figure this out in a couple thousand pix!

Gotta say this seems to be one hell of a camera and no regrets at all in the purchase.
07-14-2009, 09:16 AM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm extremely happy with the K-7. Having smaller hands, I find it much easier to handle than my K20. The build quality is top-notch and the material choice as well. My set of DA Limiteds just look great on it (they always seemed "lost " on the K20D), like they were meant to be there. The menu scrolling is so much simpler. Buttons are arranged logically and it focuses much faster than my K20D. Also, the focus assist lamp is a great addition. The shutter is quieter and a faster FPS rate is available when needed. I wasn't looking for video, but I'm glad it's there. I definitely find an improvemnet in the higher ISO photos as well. I think my only quibble is the rubber hatches for the outports and the external mike- wish they had kept the K20D's plastic door. So, smaller, lighter, faster, improved (IMHO) image rendtion with video= one great camera!
07-14-2009, 09:33 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Well, I've shot about 500 frames with the K-7 (about 26K with the K20D previously).

What's bad:
• I've seen some faint green stripes in some frames. Randomly (mine have nothing to do with the prevailing thesis about movie mode or live view overheating).
• I've had one "freak out" image in a stream of otherwise normally-exposed images
• Toggling "OK" before selecting focus points drives me nuts.
• Like a few people, I'm finding it a bit too small for my hands (but plan to either get a grip or a hand strap)
• generally, the buttons on the back are too close together
• on the K10D/K20D, formating the SD card was easy. Now the formating option is buried. (I like to reformat the card after every shoot.)
• SD door and removal is a step backward from the K10D/K20D
• I don't love that they moved the green button

What's good:
• the form factor -- I like smaller, even if it's a bit more uncomfortable
• AF is much improved: I'm getting many more keepers
• the muffled shutter sound is lovely
• I like the viewfinder
• I like the digital level feature
• I like the movie mode
• The LCD display is really nice

Despite the random image problems, I'm keeping my K-7 ... if the problem persists, I'll send it to Pentax for warranty work, as I've kept my K20D.