Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 08:38 PM   #61

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Happy with mine, but I've ordered a battery grip for better balance with longer lenses and the extra battery. The HD video & live-view eats batteries quickly. A few test shots are in the gallery and full size ones are available on SMUGMUG. Big performance improvement over the K10.

Wayne's World of Digital- Wayne Rasmussen- powered by SmugMug

07-16-2009, 09:32 PM   #62
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
Kittykat, it would be great to see if it's been fixed. I did the bookcase test for sharpness under tungsten light wide open and also any of the lens focus test also show it. It's certainly correctable, but I often forget to switch between AF Adjustment on and off depending on the focus light conditions. I like to shoot wide open so it's an issue for me when I do forget. The more that I think about it now, it's really only an issue when in a non-tungsten setting shooting wide open which is somewhat infrequent for me.
I took some photos last night at a rehearsal for a kiddie performance - my daughter was in one of the shows, so it was important to me . The stage lights alternated between Yellow, Red, Blue.....and the AF was fast and sharp every time.
Looks like the problem with Yellow light Front focus on earlier bodies is fixed.

I also hit the limit to the K-7's AWB capability - it will correct WB for yellow lights but not Real RED. That's fine by me.

I think those who use the camera for Bands, Concerts, Stage performances, Pubs etc. are really going to appreciate the K-7.
Fast AF under difficult lighting, great AWB, good High-ISO performance (a bit of debate out there, but I like what I see). Just put on a fast lens, and you're good to go.

Last edited by kittykat46; 07-16-2009 at 09:38 PM.
07-16-2009, 10:48 PM   #63
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
Simple cheap and effective

First photo shows me holding camera with two fingers.

Hmm... Nostatic, maybe you should of tried this if you didn't like the feel of the K-7! Too late now though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
the added bulk and length in the K20D occupies the few mm division inorder for the lenses to fit in their respective compartments. that difference in mm could spell the difference of overload or too tight to even fit. 2 lenses with longer FL. 3 lenses with standard size. this is of course in relation to the lenses that I have, also consider the barrel size and diameter of each lens. I surely could fit more if my lenses were all pancakes.
Must be a pretty tight fit then!
07-17-2009, 01:38 AM   #64
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by laissezfaire Quote
I'm probably one of the few here that thinks AWB on the K20 is outstanding... except of course for tungsten, but it really is not meaningful since I only shoot raw now and have become a fan of lightroom 2.0.
I did not feel there was any problems with WB with the K20.

After using the K-7 and fiddling with white balance options in various situations I can say the difference is like night and day, results are fantastic indoors, flash, shade etc.

Cheers

Neil

07-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K7 Issues

Hi everyone,
new to the forum.
I've had a K7 on loan for about a week to test, it does have issues, or maybe it's just the user. I've read & re read the instructions & still can't get below 200 ISO which takes me back to the Isd* D days.
I can't get it below 100 ISO, & have absolutely no idea why anyone in their right mind would want a camera to take control of a feature like ISO, surely you set it, if you want to change you change it, why this Auto sensitivity thing.......I'm a manual user, I make the decisions not the camera.

Also, the memory card door doesn't seem to open wide enough to easily access the card if you need to replace it.
If I'm working & need to change cards, I don't need to fight my camera to get at it. No problem with either the K10 or K20 but the K7 just doesn't open up wide enough & my fingers are not particularly large for a guy.

Other than those 2 issues, so far so good.

What I would really like to see is Pentax make the jump & make a pro level camera, no video, stop with the toys & make a full frame, fully manual..........hope they are listening.
07-17-2009, 03:19 AM   #66
Forum Member

Are you having trouble getting below iso 200 or 100? the camera does not go below iso 100.

I had a similar issue not being able to go below iso 200, the D-range highlight and shadow setting was set, once i disabled this i was able to go back down to iso 100
07-17-2009, 03:32 AM   #67
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BobL Quote
.... I've read & re read the instructions & still can't get below 200 ISO .......
The only setting in the camera which blocks you from reducing ISO below 200 is if you had accidentally checked D-range (Custom Menu 1) ON. Just turn it off, and you can manually select ISO 100 until 3200.

QuoteOriginally posted by BobL Quote
I can't get it below 100 ISO, ......
I don't know of any camera Canon/ Nikon etc..in this price range which goes below ISO100 either.
If you need really low shutter speed in bright light, ND filters may be an answer....

07-17-2009, 07:43 AM   #68
Veteran Member

Some point and shoots will go below iso100. iirc, most (all?) Nikon won't go below iso 200. WIth the K7 is you have highlight or shadow correction on it will keep it at 200 or above.

Satisfaction point - the shutter, the shutter, the shutter. How I wish I could put that quiet shutter on the K20d.
07-17-2009, 09:30 AM   #69
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
Some point and shoots will go below iso100. iirc, most (all?) Nikon won't go below iso 200. WIth the K7 is you have highlight or shadow correction on it will keep it at 200 or above.

Satisfaction point - the shutter, the shutter, the shutter. How I wish I could put that quiet shutter on the K20d.
\

I've also wondered why the SLRs don't go down further, the way the P&S cameras do. Perhaps it is because there is not more increase in image quality, but there would be the avoidance of ND filters.
07-17-2009, 09:56 AM   #70
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
\

I've also wondered why the SLRs don't go down further, the way the P&S cameras do. Perhaps it is because there is not more increase in image quality, but there would be the avoidance of ND filters.
I was lead to believe that setting +/- @ -1 and iso @ 100 = simulates 50 iso?

Is it the same as +/- @ +1 with iso @ 3200 is = 6400 ?

Comments.
07-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #71
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote

It may not be true about the latest generation of sensors ("classified" , but the technology in the public domain shows most ISO sensitivities below 100 (and also intermediate fractional ISO "clicks" like ISO 140 ) are not sensor hardware driven. Its signal processing after the sensor. So it adds nothing to IQ.

QuoteOriginally posted by Denis Quote
I was lead to believe that setting +/- @ -1 and iso @ 100 = simulates 50 iso?

Is it the same as +/- @ +1 with iso @ 3200 is = 6400 ?

Comments.
If you set -1 E/V while on ISO100, the camera will attempt to reduce exposure by doubling the shutter speed or reducing the aperture 1 f-stop (depending on which Mode you are on). If attempting that will exceed 1/8000s or the minimum aperture, the exposure meter will "blink" - beyond the camera's capability - you can't take the shot at that setting.

Last edited by kittykat46; 07-17-2009 at 06:53 PM.
07-17-2009, 08:32 PM   #72

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote

The only camera that I've seen which went WAY down in ISO was the HP 912 / Pentax EI-2000. That's a pseudo DSLR and I missed its ISO 25 on the Philips sensor.
07-17-2009, 10:12 PM   #73
Veteran Member

I stayed away from the k20d because of the negative posts and reviews. I think people expect too much of a leap between models. I bought the k20d months later after seeing people posts indicate that it was actually quite good. Same goes with the k-7.....I think in the long run it'll be a well loved staple of Pentax. I'm learning it like I did from the k10d to k20d......the k-7 has it's own tendencies.....but it doesn't take long. It will have faults.....but so will the LXd....full frame interchangable back (albeit micro from MF) with interchangable view finders..... and yes...it's just my guess...but wouldn't it be nice.?....Pentax...are you listening?
07-18-2009, 01:37 AM   #74
Veteran Member

I've had a K7 on loan for about a week to test, it does have issues, or maybe it's just the user. I've read & re read the instructions & still can't get below 200 ISO which takes me back to the Isd* D days.

In Menu go to Tools #3 Reset to default

cheers

Neil
08-27-2009, 11:25 AM   #75
Veteran Member

If someone can help I would appreciate a lot

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/71368-im-unhapp...dow+correction