Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 06:17 PM   #76
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by netuser Quote
If someone can help I would appreciate a lot

My customs settings on k200d and k20d are/were (k20 akready sold) bright mode with contrast + 1 and Fine sharp + 2.

the best I could do so far on k7 is to change to natural and apply -1 on low/high key, + 1 on contrast and +1 on sharpness
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/71368-im-unhapp...dow+correction
Go to picture mode, select Bright Mode.

Rotating the front wheel toggles your setting between Contrast and High/Low Key adjustment.
Rotating the back wheel toggles your setting between Sharpness and Fine Sharpness adjustment
Page 208 on the K-7 menu.

Just be aware the K-7 behaves differently from the K20D. The same settings do not produce exactly the same picture effect. I find shots in K-7 Bright Mode default more contrasty but less sharpness. So to get "the same" effect you may want to reduce the contrast and increase the sharpness.

Just my "taste" - up to you to play around with the settings to get what you like.

08-28-2009, 08:24 AM   #77
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote

Just be aware the K-7 behaves differently from the K20D. The same settings do not produce exactly the same picture effect. I find shots in K-7 Bright Mode default more contrasty but less sharpness. So to get "the same" effect you may want to reduce the contrast and increase the sharpness.

Just my "taste" - up to you to play around with the settings to get what you like.
Thanks for the help.
Thing I already tune it
08-28-2009, 11:05 AM   #78

I am a recent convert from a Canon system (5D actually) and I chose the Pentax system because of the small size coupled with very high build quality. This combined with the limited prime lenses and I'm in heaven. Is it a perfect camera? No. But then again, which one of them out there is? I thought the price point was fair, the amazing flexibility in customization and feature set made for a terrific camera.

I have to say after readings some of the "negative" comments in this thread, it's pretty apparent people aren't reading the manual very thoroughly. I haven't found a single feature that I didn't like that I couldn't change to suit my personal tastes. Every camera has its quirks and the K-7 is no different (at its default settings). You can read the manual online here to determine if there are options that you would find useful.

I do find the camera a bit small when used with the 50-135mm but a vertical grip resolved that issue (an extra cost but it provided great flexibility in the feel of the camera - any camera in my opinion). The exposure tends to be very accurate but misses are usually underexposures. I had the opposite problem with my Nikon D90 and I thought the Canon system was never perfect but always close. Nikon metering gets fooled less easily on average given their 3-D color matrix metering. I'm not trolling here, I'm just stating my actual experiences with the D90 in tough conditions.

I prefer having control over the camera that the Pentax provides. I never feel like the camera is trying to think for me. If I aim at something white, it's going to underexpose -- that's the way I want my camera to work. Errors should be the user's fault and should be predictable. There's optional help to be had with dynamic range controls for highlights and shadows, but I prefer to do this stuff in PP based on a proper exposure to begin with.
08-29-2009, 01:13 AM   #79
Inactive Account

Like Rich_A I also came from a Canon 5D, and changed to Pentax for more or less the same reasons. Small, light weight and wonderful limited primes.
And for the rest of his post, I could have written it myself. Do read the manual, it's really worth the effort.

There is one thing that drives me nuts with the K-7. I like to have the instant review on for 3 seconds after I make a shot so I can check the histogram. I think many dSLR users prefer it this way. The problem is that if I make a shot, then decides to change the aperture and make a second, it will zoom in on the review when I turn the thumb wheel. I have to wait for the screen to turn off, either by time out or me half pressing the shutter, before the thumb wheel becomes aperture control again. If I turn off the instant review, the aperture control works all the time, but I really like to have a peek at the histogram. Haven't found a customization that fixes this for me.

If the solution is in the manual, considering my intro, I guess I should prepare for some heat But I haven't found it yet, and I've looke many times.

08-29-2009, 05:55 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kjellhar Quote
Like Rich_A I also came from a Canon 5D, and changed to Pentax for more or less the same reasons. Small, light weight and wonderful limited primes.
There is one thing that drives me nuts with the K-7. I like to have the instant review on for 3 seconds after I make a shot so I can check the histogram. I think many dSLR users prefer it this way. The problem is that if I make a shot, then decides to change the aperture and make a second, it will zoom in on the review when I turn the thumb wheel. I have to wait for the screen to turn off, either by time out or me half pressing the shutter, before the thumb wheel becomes aperture control again. If I turn off the instant review, the aperture control works all the time, but I really like to have a peek at the histogram. Haven't found a customization that fixes this for me.

If the solution is in the manual, considering my intro, I guess I should prepare for some heat But I haven't found it yet, and I've looke many times.
I don't know about the Canon 5D, but the Canon 50D behaves exactly the same way as this - the only way you can get out of Instant review before the set timer is up is to half-press the shutter button.

Ah...and it doesn't have the instant review histogram that Pentax provides. Unless I missed something, on the 50D, you have to go to main picture Playback function to see the histogram.
08-29-2009, 11:10 AM   #81
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by kittykat46 Quote
I don't know about the Canon 5D, but the Canon 50D behaves exactly the same way as this - the only way you can get out of Instant review before the set timer is up is to half-press the shutter button.

Ah...and it doesn't have the instant review histogram that Pentax provides. Unless I missed something, on the 50D, you have to go to main picture Playback function to see the histogram.
I may have been a bit unclear about what the problem was. On Canon (at least 5D and 20D) the instant review will disappear when you turn the thumb wheel, just like it does if you half press the shutter. This means you can operate the aperture at all times. On Pentax, if you operate the thumb wheel while the instant review is visible, it will just zoom in on it, and it will become sticky (no time out) until you half press the shutter. This means the aperture is not accessible during this time.

As for the histogram showing on the review screen on Canon 50D. I haven't tried that model, but if it works anything like 5D, you can press the "info" button while the review is visible to toggle the different views.
08-29-2009, 01:34 PM   #82
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nostatic Quote
I would be interested in seeing a pic of this. I added a strip of the soft side of velcro to my DLux3 to give a bit better "grip" on the front of the body.
have you ever tried the "Camera Armor" cover? I actually used one on my last 40D and liked it a lot...adds a fair amount of girth and "grippiness" to the body. Not sure how it would be on the K7 nor how it would affect heat buildup either...
08-29-2009, 03:07 PM   #83
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe it sounds silly, but I'm finding the video quite a useful way to record sound recordings of notes for my own benefit so that when I get home I can remember what I did (+-2/nd8, +-2/nd4, +-2/nd4 grad) etc

Last edited by Nass; 08-29-2009 at 03:14 PM.
08-29-2009, 03:33 PM   #84
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nass Quote
Maybe it sounds silly, but I'm finding the video quite a useful way to record sound recordings of notes for my own benefit so that when I get home I can remember what I did (+-2/nd8, +-2/nd4, +-2/nd4 grad) etc
that is not silly at all. When i was still doing net design work I carried a pocket Pearlcoder for the same reason. I could dictate notes which later I would type up and use as a reference. It was a lot easier than using only a notebook. So yours is a great use of the video to create a reference with audio notes/observations!!

In fact even when doing remodel jobs on my house I use that same 1992 Pearlcoder...stoopid thing cost me almost $200 new!...but then again it looks and works like new.
08-31-2009, 12:17 AM   #85

The only thing that irked me about my K7 was how much the P TTL system missed. at anything other than 100 iso i find it unreliable at best, and i havnt had time to test out wireless, but i had issues when i tried it the first time. Firmware update, please!

Everything else is a hair short of magic. So much faster. Amazing dynamic range. Features upon features. Well worth the money.
08-31-2009, 12:37 AM   #86
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gremlindesign Quote
The only thing that irked me about my K7 was how much the P TTL system missed. at anything other than 100 iso i find it unreliable at best, and i havnt had time to test out wireless, but i had issues when i tried it the first time. Firmware update, please!

Everything else is a hair short of magic. So much faster. Amazing dynamic range. Features upon features. Well worth the money.

are you using the 540? maybe you'll have some luck using a METZ perhaps?
08-31-2009, 02:18 AM   #87

I've had my K7 for a week or so now here in the UK, and am loving it. Have not had any of this "green line issue", and the camera has been flawless in every regard.

As a counterpoint to some of the comments over the size - one of those things you either love or hate, but I have some of the largest hands of anyone I've ever met (size 12/12.5 in gloves, and size 13.5 in shoes!), and for me the size is brilliant; one of the reasons I bought the camera, and one of the reasons I've just loved using it since it arrived.

Compared with a Canon 50D I used to own I find it far better for my fingers to "fall to the controls", and see no need for tape to build up the grip (although ideas like the chap that used sticky neoprene have been great novel ideas in general!).

Amazingly to myself, I actually love the video mode. Never would have thought it. For those "youtube" type short clips, at quality resolution, it is brilliant; a short motorcycle ride down Kings Road, a dog swimming in a cove, relations thinking "why does he not just *take* the photo already!"... (and in thinking that giving some of their true character). I have even produced some quality stills from cutting frames of the video - something you should try!

The only downside I have found is now thinking of all the primes I sold when "going to canon" a few years ago, and more seriously; The smear on the back screen from my cheek when using the view-finder (a price of all that lovely detailed resolution?), and hitting the live view button every so often by mistake (which could be a factor of those big hands after all...)

The recent posts about reading the manual are spot on too - I have ended up changing a lot of the standard settings to get it how I like it, which is a worthwhile exercise.

Oh, and the in camera HDR is neat, but still learning how to get the best from it; love the look of HDR vegetation and natural greens, but natural greens tend to move!
08-31-2009, 02:44 AM   #88
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gremlindesign Quote
The only thing that irked me about my K7 was how much the P TTL system missed. at anything other than 100 iso i find it unreliable at best, and i havnt had time to test out wireless, but i had issues when i tried it the first time. ......
I have had a contrary experience where I found the K-7's P-TTL behaviour with the AF540 flash accurate and consistent, notably in bounce flash.

On my K100D, the flash , especially bounce flash usually underexposed. I routinely set +1 E/V flash compensation, even then it was problematic because the inconsistency meant some shots were still over / under exposed.

Perhaps you could give more detail on the problems you encountered ?