Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-13-2009, 03:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K-7 owners' satisfaction/dissatisfaction?

just want to know a quick survey regarding K-7 owners' comments regarding their new gear.

are you guys satisfied with the new K-7? some complaints regarding noise and NR. some regarding some defects and others IQ.

so what are your verdicts ?

07-13-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I have no issues with performance - marked improvement in most of the K20d shortcomings and nice new features. My only quibble, and one that I'm not decided on yet, is physical size. It might be too small for my hand/grip.
07-13-2009, 04:26 PM   #3

Built mine up with some adhesive foam

I bought a metre of self adhesive high density black neoprene type rubber, and added about 5cm this to the right-hand side of the body. Makes for a stronger more comfortable grip. Easily adjusted by adding more layers, or just buying a thicker version. Excellent solution.
07-13-2009, 04:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I had hopes for better high iso performance, but that was not the only item. It is a better performer than the k20d in many other ways. I like the improved wb, frame rate, mirror up, controls, menu system, faster processing, hdr, faster focus, movie mode etc. I also like the size and feel.

Last edited by ivoire; 07-17-2009 at 08:37 AM.
07-13-2009, 04:36 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Zero complaints here. It's such an improvement on so many levels to the K10 that it isn't even funny.

Nothing I would change about it, and tonnes that I love about it. I wouldn't hesitate again to pick one up.

c[_]
07-13-2009, 04:40 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Stefan Carey Quote
I bought a metre of self adhesive high density black neoprene type rubber, and added about 5cm this to the right-hand side of the body. Makes for a stronger more comfortable grip. Easily adjusted by adding more layers, or just buying a thicker version. Excellent solution.
I would be interested in seeing a pic of this. I added a strip of the soft side of velcro to my DLux3 to give a bit better "grip" on the front of the body.
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

I've only had mine for a few days. Also, I was (and still am) using a k10d, so the difference is massive.

I think the only nit I have is the focus point selection on the k-7. I'd rather not have to hit the okay button before toggling between sensors. I'm also not keen on the 'delete all' being stuck in the menu or that it will allow you to delete protected images.

On the other hand, I'm loving the improved AF, FPS, a metal body, high ISO (I can shoot at ISO 400 now with confidence).

Things which I still have to get used to are the raw processing and all the new controls that go with it. I'm also getting used to the 4-way controller location and how it behaves in different scenarios (playback vs. shooting).

The long and the short of it is I would make this purchase again without any hesitation. It's a definite step (rather, steps) in the right direction and almost the perfect camera for my photography.

I will also toss out there that the metering is much better than on the k10, based on my experience so far.

Cheers.

07-13-2009, 05:09 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
just want to know a quick survey regarding K-7 owners' comments regarding their new gear.

are you guys satisfied with the new K-7? some complaints regarding noise and NR. some regarding some defects and others IQ.

so what are your verdicts ?
Coming from K200D, K-7 is a good improvement - very happy especially with low light performance and AWB and metering is spot on perfect especially when taking photos of metalic, silver, platinum, grey coloured items (lots of computer/product photography) - flawless colour/wb reproduction right off the camera with first shot! = no post-processing needed besides a crop and resize. Very happy

Only nagging thing is the mode dial and needing to press down to unlock/move mode dial.
07-13-2009, 05:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
have not had enough time to fully comment yet, at 9 days, but here's my list so far.

Good points (compared to K10D)
- moderate ISO (800-1600) much better
- additional features such as dynamic range extension, & HDR
- far superior metering, both with A and Non- A lenses
- location of buttons and overall interface, K10 and *istD were good, this is better.
- lower shutter noise
- higher frame rate
- access to menu items through info screens directly

Bad points
- no time out on info screen, and it tends to come on all by itself wrecking night vision. there shoud be an option to have it time out after 3 seconds, like the confirmation image.
07-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #10
mel
Veteran Member

I upgraded from the K10D as well and it's a vast vast improvement in most ways. However, I too was having issues with the size. I don't have real large hands (normal smallish female hands), however, I do have rather long fingers. My grip arrived today and it's much more comfortable to hold.

I haven't gotten to the bottom of all the features yet but I do have to say that the thing that stands out the most is the outstanding AWB. I've shot a few times in mixed lighting (flourescent, tungsten and flash all together) and it nailed it. The colors coming from this camera, imo, are amazing.
07-13-2009, 05:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Bad points
- no time out on info screen, and it tends to come on all by itself wrecking night vision. there shoud be an option to have it time out after 3 seconds, like the confirmation image.
You can press info one or two times until the screen disapear. You can also toggle it off completely if you wish. Unfortunately you don't have as much control for the top LCD.
07-13-2009, 05:42 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
You can press info one or two times until the screen disapear. You can also toggle it off completely if you wish. Unfortunately you don't have as much control for the top LCD.
yeah, I know, but it seems to have a mind of it's own after you shoot, sometimes it comes back on and it is bright.

I would leave it off if (menu selection) it wasn't so useful, and pushing the button twide seems un-necessary. there should be a time out on the display of this Info.

but so far this is my only gripe so, all and all, the camera is turning out very well indeed/
07-13-2009, 05:44 PM   #13
Forum Member

I'm happy!

I'm just done with a paid shoot of the Young Canadians performing at the Calgary Stampede Grandstand Show and I used my K-7 side-by-side with my K20D. I've customized the control layout on the K-7 to be almost identical to the way I have my K20D set-up. The one thing I couldn't duplicate is K20D's selective AF point control; it just can't be done on the K-7.

The venue was an outdoor stage and part way through the performance a steady rain started to fall. The show went on and the handful of Canon and Nikon shooters ran for cover. Me, I kept right on shooting!

The negatives:

1. inconvenient AF point selection
2. slide-out media card door is a step backwards from the latched door on the K20D and SD card slot is too close to the door

The positives:

1. Improved AF responsiveness with both SDM and screw-drive AF lenses
2. Improved multi-segment metering
3. Image quality at ISO 800 (here we go again!) on par with K20D
4. New mirror box a great improvement (now 2 support pins for mirror and mirror return much better dampened)
5. Smaller physical size and reshaped grip fits hand better
6. Vertical grip can use 3-AA batteries

Compared to the K20D, the K-7 is evolutionary rather than revolutionary. Both are excellent cameras!
07-13-2009, 05:57 PM   #14
mel
Veteran Member

3 AA batteries? Mine holds 6. 3 on top and 3 below. And there's metal connecters and such for all four rows of the configuration so I assumed it used all 6 at a time.

But while we're on the subject of the grip, I have to say I absolutely love the extra piece of rubber material that's under the thumb when holding the camera in portrait orientation. It wasn't there in the previous one. But I'm not happy about the lack of storage for the remote thingy.

Last edited by mel; 07-13-2009 at 06:05 PM.
07-13-2009, 06:06 PM   #15
Inactive Account

Mel...I'd have to agree about the grip. When I bought my K-7 I bought it with the grip because I shoot about 50/50 horizontal/vertical. Without the grip the cam feels tiny, but with the grip it feels perfect.

c[_]